LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - General (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/)
-   -   help with installing GDM login window theme... (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/help-with-installing-gdm-login-window-theme-890562/)

dEnDrOn 07-08-2011 06:04 AM

help with installing GDM login window theme...
 
i downloaded themes from http://gnome-look.org/ & http://art.gnome.org/themes
But i can't figure out how to install them !
I'm running fedora 15,GNOME 3

TobiSGD 07-08-2011 06:06 AM

Open your theme-manager and drag and drop the downloaded files onto it. Alternatively unpack those files and move the unpacked folders either to ~/.themes (theme only available for that user) or /usr/share/themes (theme available system-wide).

dEnDrOn 07-08-2011 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4408661)
Open your theme-manager

i use gnome-tweak-tool to switch themes.
I'm running fedora 15,gnome3

dEnDrOn 07-08-2011 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4408661)
Alternatively unpack those files and move the unpacked folders either to ~/.themes (theme only available for that user) or /usr/share/themes (theme available system-wide).

i moved the folder to
Quote:

/usr/share/themes
How do i install theme now,i can't see theme in gnome-tweak-tool

TobiSGD 07-08-2011 06:34 AM

I don't use Gnome, so I can only guess, but in my experience most theme-managers have to be restarted when you install themes not using the theme-manager.

dEnDrOn 07-08-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4408684)
I don't use Gnome, so I can only guess, but in my experience most theme-managers have to be restarted when you install themes not using the theme-manager.


restarting won't help too !
any other idea ?

TobiSGD 07-08-2011 07:42 AM

Have you tried if it works in ~/.themes?

dEnDrOn 07-08-2011 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4408715)
Have you tried if it works in ~/.themes?

how do i install theme after putting it in the directory ?

TobiSGD 07-08-2011 09:03 AM

It should show up in your theme-manager. Have you untarred those files? For themes it is normally
Code:

tar -xf THEMENAME.tar.gz
which results in a directory. This directory has to be moved completely to one of those folders.

MTK358 07-08-2011 09:50 AM

Could you extract the archive and list the contents?

Also, your title seems to imply that you think that tar.gz files are special files for themes or something. They are just archives, similar to .zip files.

dEnDrOn 07-08-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4408744)
It should show up in your theme-manager. Have you untarred those files? For themes it is normally
Code:

tar -xf THEMENAME.tar.gz
which results in a directory. This directory has to be moved completely to one of those folders.

i've already extracted the contents of tar.gz folder...and put the extracted folder in /themes

TobiSGD 07-08-2011 09:16 PM

It is not /themes, it is ~/.themes, which is an abbreviation for /home/USERNAME/.themes. Note that dot before themes, which means that this directory is hidden normally.

dEnDrOn 07-08-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTK358 (Post 4408786)
Could you extract the archive and list the contents?

folder contains:
Quote:

gtk-2.0
index.theme
index.theme~
metacity-1
Quote:

Also, your title seems to imply that you think that tar.gz files are special files for themes or something. They are just archives, similar to .zip files.
i definitely know that those are archives but i'm trying to learn how to install them but in my case it contains theme..

dEnDrOn 07-08-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4409374)
It is not /themes, it is ~/.themes, which is an abbreviation for /home/USERNAME/.themes. Note that dot before themes, which means that this directory is hidden normally.

i've put the folder in
Quote:

~/.themes

MTK358 07-08-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dEnDrOn (Post 4409382)
folder contains:

What does "folder" mean here? Does the archive contain a single directory that contains those files? If you're not sure, post the output of this command:

Code:

tar tf path/to/archive.tar


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.