Help, ... dual booting (Redhat EL4 and SUSE 10)
How can I make dual booting when I use Redhat EL4 and SUSE or Redhat EL4 and Redhat 9.
I need two different kernelversion linux on same computer.
please advise , .......
which boot loader are you using?
(2) did you know that you can have more than one kernel on the SAME linux system?
I would suggest the following:
1) decide which Linux distro will be the Master (for bootloader issues) and which will be the Slave.
2) install the Slave first. Use it to partition the disk with all the partitions you need for both distros. You only need one swap partition to serve all distros installed, and a minimum of one partition for each distro (you may have more partitions for each distro if you wish).
When you get to the point in the installation that you must decide to install the bootloader to MBR or root of partition, install to root of partition.
3) install the Master distro. When you get to the point in the installation that you must install the bootloader, choose to install to the MBR. It should write a grub configuration listing both the Master and Slave distros.
4) reboot to see if it works.
Thank u , bigrigdriver and Aus9
I am installing SUSE and RHEL4 distro, bootloader I choosed GRUB. Hard disk is 150Gb, SATA.
Master - RHEL4
Slave - SUSE or RH9
1. installed SUSE Linux
/dev/hda1 - /boot (100M)
/dev/hda2 - /swap (1024M)
/dev/hda3 - / (48000M)
2. installed RHEL4
/dev/hda4 - extended
/dev/hda5 - /boot (100M)
/dev/hda6 - /swap (1024M)
/dev/hda7 - / (48000M)
3. During the installation RHEL4 , on GRUB configuration I added SUSE linux boot path.
(Name of boot menu is SUSE Linux , path is /dev/hda1)
4. After install Redhat is OK, it is running, But when i select SUSE , it is not running, ..... after detect mouse, it isn't continune ....
That is all, what I did.
I think , i did like bigrigdriver's tip.
I am reading tip on link which is aus9 sent. it is very usefull information.
Have u any idea when u see my set. please ....
4. After install Redhat is OK, it is running, But when i select SUSE , it is not running, ..... after detect mouse, it isn't continune
a) does this mean that suse starts to boot but you see a message scrolling by that the mouse detection has failed ?
b) And do you then get a suse login prompt with no graphics?
(c) does it mean that when you select grub menu for suse that you get an error message for grub?
(a) can be solved by fixing your suse /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file for the mouse setting using a live a cd
(b) if you are at the login you could login as root and run the xf86config tool to rebuild your keyboard/mouse/monitor settings
(c) can be solved by you pressing E for edit at the menu for suse and writing down what it says then posting it so we can see if there is an error....also a search for suse forums shows this style for a suse menu
title SUSE LINUX 10.0
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3
this may vary if you use the LABEL to replace the /dev/hda style or you use LVM for partition resizing
I did, ..... thank u aus9 and bigrigdriver.
I installed both linux like bigrigdriver's tip.
Also , I installed 3 kind of linux, ... it was OK.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 PM.|