LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - General (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/)
-   -   google earth (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/google-earth-792143/)

jallan6977 02-28-2010 11:30 AM

google earth
 
How the heck do I get google earth to install in ubuntu 9.10. I can locate the file in the gui but all attempts to cd their in a terminal have failed. When I try to get to the dlds directory it says there isn't such a file or directory. It should be /home/jim/downloads. That's what I just got from the gui. I can't seem to install it with synaptec because it ian't in the list. The terminal prompt reads jim@jim-desktop:/$ Maybe if I learned how to get this bugger installed I could adapt the command line or lines for other files of the same type. The version I am trying to install is for ubuntu.

repo 02-28-2010 11:46 AM

In general downloads goto
Downloads or Desktop, unless you specified otherwise in firefox

you can try
Code:

find /home/jim -name GoogleEarthLinux.bin

http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2007/1...rth-in-ubuntu/

devwatchdog 02-28-2010 01:41 PM

I downloaded it from a google repository.

Add this to the repository list for Synaptic:

URI: http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/

Distribution: stable

Components: main

Do a search for 'google earth', and it should then be in the list.

greenknight 02-28-2010 03:00 PM

Repo, The best I got from that cmd line was unknown predicate. That was with find /home/jim/downloads -name google*.bin. I wasn't sure if it should be spelled googleearth or googlearth so I used the wild card. I do have another suggestion from another person so I will try that and post the results.

repo 02-28-2010 03:15 PM

Please try
Code:

find /home/jim -name GoogleEarthLinux.bin
The directory name is Downloads, not downloads

greenknight 02-28-2010 04:01 PM

google earth install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwatchdog (Post 3880183)
I downloaded it from a google repository.

Add this to the repository list for Synaptic:

URI: http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/

Distribution: stable

Components: main

Do a search for 'google earth', and it should then be in the list.

I don't know what I did different from the last time I tried but in synaptic I did a search first, because I didn't know what to do with the stable and main things, and there it was. So I thought goody it is already here. I marked it for install and followed the usual apply and it did it's thing. Only where did it go. I didn't tell it to go anyplace. I did a search through the file system and other simple places like desktop and got nothing.
Something doesn't like me. In the future it would be accurate to assume I am very new to installing files with Linux. Windows destroyed my ability to handle dos, so I must learn everything again.
Before I finish, what would I do with stable or main. I assume there os somewhere I can add stuff and those are things to be selected. I'll need to study it.

repo 02-28-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

I marked it for install and followed the usual apply and it did it's thing. Only where did it go.
In a terminal type
Code:

whereis googleearth
Are you posting under 2 names ?

greenknight 02-28-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repo (Post 3880320)
In a terminal type
Code:

whereis googleearth
Are you posting under 2 names ?

Accidently yes. I will need to get rid of the jallan one.
Whereis googleearth
ans. googleearth: #nothing
I must have done something wrong in the install. Maybe it needs to be done again with some option to go to a particular place. There isn't any compile thing I hope.

repo 02-28-2010 04:53 PM

In synaptic, look for google earth, and see if it's installed.
If needed reinstall.
Then in a terminal type
Code:

googleearth

jallan6977 03-01-2010 08:03 AM

google earth install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by repo (Post 3880260)
Please try
Code:

find /home/jim -name GoogleEarthLinux.bin
The directory name is Downloads, not downloads

What is this extra or different code above. I know what you said the difference is just unexpected.
You are right about the capitalizing. I guess I wasn't aware the case was important there. I shall assume that rule to apply in future events. Now I could work on the way to get it done, except, I peeked in synaptic again and it was there. It wasn't when I looked before. Tanks.

repo 03-01-2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

What is this extra or different code above. I know what you said the difference is just unexpected.
Code:

GoogleEarthLinux.bin
should be the file you downloaded and didn't found to install google earth.

jallan6977 03-01-2010 08:34 AM

google earth install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by repo (Post 3880348)
In synaptic, look for google earth, and see if it's installed.
If needed reinstall.
Then in a terminal type
Code:

googleearth

Even though I reinstalled it it came back "command not found." Obviously it assumed googleearth was a command. Did I miss something in that last entry? The prompt was jim@jim-desktop:~$ googleearth. I see it as a cmd. also.

repo 03-01-2010 08:38 AM

Try to look for the file
Code:

sudo find / -name googleearth
It's possible it's installed in /opt
Isn't there a menu entry in your start menu

jallan6977 03-01-2010 11:09 AM

google earth install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by repo (Post 3881016)
Try to look for the file
Code:

sudo find / -name googleearth
It's possible it's installed in /opt
Isn't there a menu entry in your start menu

/opt is blank mt nothing

jallan6977 03-01-2010 11:15 AM

google earth install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jallan6977 (Post 3881172)
/opt is blank mt nothing

PS Just to make sure start means applications. If so no. there is nothing like it.
What would happen if my system couldn't display it. It should say something about it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 PM.