I haven't compiled a kernel before, so I have a few questions. I currently have slackware kernel: 2.4.26
Even if you can answer one or two of my questions, I'd be gratefull, thanks!
1) Why should I update my kernel? Do I get more security, is it faster, what?
2) What website do I download a newer kernel? (Probably a tarball since I use slack)
3) What path should I compile the source in, What's the normal? (Example, programs I compile in /usr/local/src )
3) How do I get the options my kernel was built with? The one that came installed? (So I can compile the new one with the same options)
4) Will I need to reinstall much? Or just kernel modules? (I'm guessing I'll have to reinstall my nvidia driver since it used my kernel headers)