LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2004, 07:10 PM   #1
ninmonkeys
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Distribution: Slackware 10
Posts: 28

Rep: Reputation: 15
getting/compiling kernels


I haven't compiled a kernel before, so I have a few questions. I currently have slackware kernel: 2.4.26

Even if you can answer one or two of my questions, I'd be gratefull, thanks!


1) Why should I update my kernel? Do I get more security, is it faster, what?

2) What website do I download a newer kernel? (Probably a tarball since I use slack)

3) What path should I compile the source in, What's the normal? (Example, programs I compile in /usr/local/src )

3) How do I get the options my kernel was built with? The one that came installed? (So I can compile the new one with the same options)

4) Will I need to reinstall much? Or just kernel modules? (I'm guessing I'll have to reinstall my nvidia driver since it used my kernel headers)

thanks
 
Old 11-06-2004, 07:19 PM   #2
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 22,986
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 880Reputation: 880Reputation: 880Reputation: 880Reputation: 880Reputation: 880Reputation: 880
Re: getting/compiling kernels

Quote:
Originally posted by ninmonkeys
I haven't compiled a kernel before, so I have a few questions. I currently have slackware kernel: 2.4.26

Even if you can answer one or two of my questions, I'd be gratefull, thanks! :)


1) Why should I update my kernel? Do I get more security, is it faster, what?
I don't know of any exploits in 2.4.26, so no security.
Speedup if you recompile for you CPU may be expected.

Quote:
2) What website do I download a newer kernel? (Probably a tarball since I use slack)
http://www.kernel.org ... but that won't be a slack-tgz.
And Volker doesn't make varied kernels for different
CPUs, so you really need to 'roll your own'.

Quote:
3) What path should I compile the source in, What's the normal? (Example, programs I compile in /usr/local/src )
Commonly under /usr/src

Quote:
3) How do I get the options my kernel was built with? The one that came installed? (So I can compile the new one with the same options)
look at /boot/config-<version-mumble>

Quote:
4) Will I need to reinstall much? Or just kernel modules? (I'm guessing I'll have to reinstall my nvidia driver since it used my kernel headers)
That's the one. There's not many drivers around
that are compiled outside the kernel-tree, and I'm
sure you'd know them better than anyone else here.


Cheers,
Tink
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about compiling kernels/programs... finklewicz Linux - Newbie 2 05-12-2005 04:14 PM
after compiling 2.6.11.7, none of the kernels will boot hubabuba Fedora 1 05-02-2005 11:31 AM
Compiling kernels 2.6.10 aufomechanic Linux - Newbie 2 02-08-2005 08:13 AM
compiling kernels for different systems alaios Linux - General 2 11-06-2004 03:48 PM
compiling kernels Doug Hammond Linux - General 4 02-18-2003 02:32 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration