Linux - GeneralThis Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
I'm using Mandrake 9.1, just recently upgraded from Man 9.0
My main use of the computer is as a word-processor, so I'm very low on the technical knowledge, though my local LUG has been very helpful.
But, on to the problem: Since moving to 9.1, the floppy takes over a minute to mount. If I have nothing in the floppy drive, the whole /mnt directory comes up almost instantaneously. When I put a floppy in, it takes a very long time to mount.
This is not a hardware problem; I still have Windoze up, for some little things that I can't manage (yet) through linux. On the Windoze partition, the floppy comes up like a shot.
I believe it has to do with putting something into the /fstab, though I may have that wrong.
However, something's got to be put somewhere. What I need is step by step instructions.
Is there anything obviolus in here that can have a bearing on my problem?
From what I can tell, the supermount is not working, or not working properly. When I'm working from OpenOffice, very frequently when I attempt to save to the floppy, the OO program shuts down, losing all my information.
Originally posted by quatsch backup your fstab and then, as root, do
supermount -i disable
this will make changes to the fstab to disable supermount. After this reboot and try to mount the floppy manually (you might have to be root for this) by
If this is faster than before, then it was a supermount problem. You can also try the explicit method jalal was suggesting.
At first it seemed so, but then I tried it through KDE and it was slow again. I went in through Konsole and unmounted it, got a message saying it wasn't mounted. Tried to mount it through Konsole, and got an error message:
mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified