LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-19-2007, 10:22 PM   #1
ReachingFarr
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Filesystem and LVM Gymnastics


This post isn't so much about a problem I'm having as it is about me trying to find a way to do something I would really like to do.

The situation is this: I have several disks all under LVM, and this LVM has a root partition, a swap partition and a lot of extra space. What I really want to do is have my /home and another directory /data share this space. The point of the /data directory is to put files I want to share there. The directory will be mounted by both SMB and NFS, and most likely shared via FTP.

The problem with making two separate volumes is that I don't want to resize them every time one of them starts to grow beyond their allotted size. As well, the amount of data on either of them will probably fluctuate fairly rapidly.

The other option I tried was with a single volume containing two directories that I `mount -o bind`ed at /home and /data. GNOME doesn't like this. As well, when I move a file it decides to re-write it instead of moving the inode pointer because it thinks /data and /home are two separate file systems.

I don't make the whole thing my root because I don't want to lose all of my data when I upgrade. Having these directories separate allows me to simply format my root and leave my data alone when I re-install.

What should I do?
 
Old 12-26-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
archtoad6
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Houston, TX (usa)
Distribution: MEPIS, Debian, Knoppix,
Posts: 4,727
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 230Reputation: 230Reputation: 230
Since it's been over 5 weeks since you posted this, I think it's safe to jump in. -- It's not like I'm knocking your thread off the 0-reply list prematurely, or displacing better advice.

DISCLAIMER: I am just beginning to learn about LVM, getting ready to implement on a system for the 1st time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachingFarr View Post
This post isn't so much about a problem I'm having as it is about me trying to find a way to do something I would really like to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachingFarr View Post
The situation is this: I have several disks all under LVM, and this LVM has a root partition, a swap partition and a lot of extra space. What I really want to do is have my /home and another directory /data share this space. The point of the /data directory is to put files I want to share there. The directory will be mounted by both SMB and NFS, and most likely shared via FTP.
"I have several disks all under LVM," i.e. PV's
"and this LVM " I don't think you're using "LVM" correctly here. I believe this is where you should be telling us about the arrangement of your Volume Groups (VG's) & the Logical Volumes (LV's) in them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachingFarr View Post
The problem with making two separate volumes is that I don't want to resize them every time one of them starts to grow beyond their allotted size. As well, the amount of data on either of them will probably fluctuate fairly rapidly.
To me, this sounds counter to one of the main advantages I have heard touted for LVM -- the ability to resize easily in the face of changing needs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachingFarr View Post
The other option I tried was with a single volume containing two directories that I `mount -o bind`ed at /home and /data. GNOME doesn't like this. As well, when I move a file it decides to re-write it instead of moving the inode pointer because it thinks /data and /home are two separate file systems.
What if you mounted the volume at "/V" (or "/.V"), wouldn't you then see /V/home & /V/data, which you could then symlink to /home and /data?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachingFarr View Post
I don't make the whole thing my root because I don't want to lose all of my data when I upgrade. Having these directories separate allows me to simply format my root and leave my data alone when I re-install.
Makes sense to me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachingFarr View Post
What should I do?
[Resisting the urge to make a flip response like 'punt' ]

Hope this is some help.
 
  


Reply

Tags
filesystem, lvm


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LVM and shrinking the root filesystem coreychch Linux - Newbie 4 05-21-2012 01:47 AM
LVM: Building a LV and a Filesystem to just fit malcor Linux - General 5 11-16-2007 11:54 AM
Resizing a root LVM filesystem eigoteacher Linux - Newbie 7 08-23-2007 09:36 AM
Unify 2 filesystem with LVM oswaldospe Linux - Enterprise 0 09-18-2006 01:15 PM
bootsector location with lvm filesystem flv7a Linux - General 1 11-07-2003 10:53 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration