Linux - GeneralThis Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
When running yum list "packagename", the results for updates-released are displayed, in error when the package is already at that version. See example below.
[root@XXXXX03 ~]# yum list perl
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
perl.i386 4:5.10.0-31.fc9 installed
perl.i386 4:5.10.0-31.fc9 updates-released
# rpm -q perl
I created our inhouse yum repositories for Fedora 8 (a while back) and Fedora 9. Fedora 8 behavior is correct and does not list updates if the package is already installed at that version.
I have compared the F8 and F9 repos dir structure and rebuilt the Fedora 9 repos, using createrepo, several times as well as checked the /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo files to make sur ethe path to the base and updates repos are correct.
I ran "yum clean all" on the client after each repo rebuild and at other times that I thought were appropriate. I have looked at the files "on disk" in the base and updates Fedora 9 inhouse repos on disk nd they are correct.... older version in the base dir, newer version in the updates dir.
I just ran "yum update" again on the Fedora 9 client (which works), yum clean all and still the same "yum list" output.
The results with pkcon are worse - they show the older version as available:
I discovered this while verifying the remediation of a kernel update. After checking few other packages I found this behavior for all Fedora 9 updates, therefore I am using perl as an example. perl is not the problem.
Thanks so much - but I think this is a different problem.
I did read your question before I posted in hopes it would help. Unlike your question, I can actually connect to our inhouse yum server and do a yum update from our inhouse yum server. It appears to be just the behavior/display output of "yum list".
It's not you -- it's yum. If you check against any of the official yum repos, they all behave the same way. I don't know how yum behaved before, as I didn't use it prior to F9, but you are right, it's annoying.
I have confirmed this is correct. The behavior of yum list has changed.