Linux - GeneralThis Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I've solved this problem roughly a month ago after a couple of days of Googling and checking bug reports, but now I've forgotten how I did fixed it last time. So, of course, the problem waited until it was safe to rear its head again. I'll continue the hunt and post an answer if I can find it again, but I'd just as soon somebody just told me how to fix it this time.
Here are the symptoms:
The client will work for many months just fine, then one day the user will find that he can no longer receive email by pressing the send/receive button. It says that X new messages are available, but they aren't displayed. Switching from another IMAP folder and coming back to the Inbox doesn't do any good. Email is sent just fine, but no new messages will come in. No error messages are displayed. If evolution is closed and opened again, it will find the new messages waiting on the server and display them.
I feel like the last time this happened, there was just some file in the evolution directory that had somehow become corrupted or full or somesuch and needed to be deleted.
Doesn't seem likely since only restarting the client will fix the problem. Also, its highly reproducible; happens every time now. Plus, its only happening to one user in a field of 15-20 other evolution users.
He took the box home with him tonight, but I found out how to run in debugging mode here: