LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
nathaly_ec
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Error: Cant' Find ------ in /etc/mtab or fstab - Window Folder shared


Hi,

help me please....
When I try Mount Windows share foler on linux using

mount -t smbfs -o username=atul, password=ABC //192.168.1.2/linux

where:
username=windows user
password= windows password
//192.168.1.2/Linux= windows shared folder

i see this error:
Error: can't find //192.168.1.2/linux in /etc/mtab or fstab

why?

I have installed Samba and service smb start, what happening????

 
Old 04-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
bigearsbilly
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: england
Distribution: FreeBSD, Debian, Mint, Puppy
Posts: 3,298

Rep: Reputation: 175Reputation: 175
syntax looks wrong
is it? like nfs?

192.168.1.2:/linux
 
Old 04-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
custangro
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: California
Distribution: Fedora , CentOS , Solaris 10, RHEL
Posts: 1,935
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 188Reputation: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathaly_ec View Post
Hi,

help me please....
When I try Mount Windows share foler on linux using

mount -t smbfs -o username=atul, password=ABC //192.168.1.2/linux

where:
username=windows user
password= windows password
//192.168.1.2/Linux= windows shared folder

i see this error:
Error: can't find //192.168.1.2/linux in /etc/mtab or fstab

why?

I have installed Samba and service smb start, what happening????

You need to specify where you want to mount it...if you want to mount in under /mnt it would look like this...

Code:
mount -t smbfs  //192.168.1.2/linux /mnt -o username=atul,password=ABC
Try specifying where you want to mount it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigearsbilly View Post
syntax looks wrong
is it? like nfs?

192.168.1.2:/linux
No, for SMB shares it's different...at least on Red Hat distros it is...

-C

Last edited by custangro; 04-11-2009 at 08:50 PM.
 
Old 04-11-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
nathaly_ec
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Re..

thank you for this code:

Code:
mount -t smbfs  //192.168.1.2/linux /mnt -o username=atul,password=ABC
I Try to mount it in /mnt but i see this error:

2670: session request to 192.168.1.79 failed(called name not present)
2670: session request to 192 failed(called name not present)
2670: session setup failed: ERRDOS - 2215

SMB connection failed


I disable firewall in my windows computer but i see this error again....

what happenig????

 
Old 04-12-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
custangro
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: California
Distribution: Fedora , CentOS , Solaris 10, RHEL
Posts: 1,935
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 188Reputation: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathaly_ec View Post
thank you for this code:

Code:
mount -t smbfs  //192.168.1.2/linux /mnt -o username=atul,password=ABC
I Try to mount it in /mnt but i see this error:

2670: session request to 192.168.1.79 failed(called name not present)
2670: session request to 192 failed(called name not present)
2670: session setup failed: ERRDOS - 2215

SMB connection failed


I disable firewall in my windows computer but i see this error again....

what happenig????

Try doing XPNAME\username for the username....for example

Code:
mount -t smbfs  //192.168.1.2/linux /mnt -o username=COPUTERNAME\atul,password=ABC
 
Old 04-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
nathaly_ec
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Re:

I try with this:

Code:
mount -t smbfs  //192.168.1.2/linux /mnt -o username=YVILLACIS\atul,password=ABC
I try this, but I keep seeing the same error.



why?

I'm doing wrong or that I lack?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mount shared folder with fstab - need help robertpolson Linux - Networking 21 01-26-2007 06:38 PM
fstab problem: mount: can't find dvd in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab Nikon01 Slackware 5 11-17-2006 07:15 AM
mount: can't find /dev/hda1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab timalan Suse/Novell 24 08-20-2005 10:41 AM
use mtab as fstab?hi rgiggs Mandriva 5 06-08-2004 01:47 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration