I'm trying to install Linux for a whole week now and still no success. I keep having problems @ booting.
I have a SATA with Windows XP on it:
c: 20 gb
d: 30 gb
e: 30 gb
1 CDrom and 1 DVD at Secundary Master and Slave.
I added a IDE HD (10 gb) to install linux on it. When I placed it on Primary Master, I couln't start Windows anymore (he went looking for hall.dll on my small disk). Changing the boot sequence in my bios did not solve this problem, so I placed the IDE HD at Primary Slave, and then it was ok.
Next thing I did was installing Redhat 8 (I still had this one on CD, so...) , but this version cannot handle SATA at intallation yet, so I downloaded the latest Redhat (Fedora). This one had problems with my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, resulting at first in crashing during installation. In a text-like-installation he didn't crash, but at first boot-up of linux he crashed again (I think cause of Windows X). So I went looking for solutions. I followed some instructions, but I didn't get it fixed this way so I gave up on Fedora (wtf my Video Card isn't supported I woundered).
With Redhat 9.0 I had more luck. He didn't recognized my Radeon, but made it a Generic Vesa card, so no crashes at first boot up and leaving me the possibility of solving this problem afterwards in Graphical envirenment
. Now my real problem shows up. I choose to install Grub during the installation. It recognized an MS-DOS thing, so I supposed it to be my SATA with Windows XP on it. The first time a rebooted it I decided to check Linux, this was ok. The second time I tryed to start-up windows, and this was NOT OK. It gave just some text and then nothing:
The only way of entering my Win XP was by changing bios settings from HDO to SCSI as primary boot device. As you will agree this is a crapy solution, so I went looking for some other ways. I reinstalled Lunix with Lilo. This turned out worse. Lilo crashes at start up. You see the 'Li' from Lilo and then a bunch of '99 99 99'....
I found something about booting you linux from the standard windows bootloader (boot.ini):
# dd if=/dev/hda3 bs=512 count=1 of bootsect.lnx
>> copy this file in c:\ on my NTFS SATA, and then edit boot.ini adding a Lunix line:
C:\bootsect.lnx=" Linux Redhat 9"
Well, this method doesn't work at all I think. Selecting Linux Redhat 9 in the menu results in cannot find "hall.dll" or just nothing happened (I forget which of these two... so many errors on such a short time results in error-confusion, LOL). I have to be honoust, but this method mentions something about
"1. Intall or WinXP then Linux as usual but not installing lilo on MBR of master hd instead installing on the Ist sector of the linux root partition (you can find this option during installation of various linux distro) and making a startup disk (its also asked during intallation process) for linux to start for first time."
Since I found contradictionary info on this I did not install it on the 1st sector, but on the MBR (so perhaps this is what I did wrong, since the 512 bytes will be different now... will they?).
So after trying several "solutions", my problem still isn't solved. I was thinking that perhaps copying my Linux Boot-Disk (made @ installation) in eg c:\linux , and then adding somthing like this in the boot.ini, would work:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows XP" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\linux="Linux Redhat 9"
This seems crap to me, but I'm out of bullets as it comes to descent thinking and solving.
What I do now, when I wait for better days, is placing "Floppy", "SCSI" and "CDROM" in this boot order in my BIOS. So whenever I need to be in Linux, I can work with my Floppy (which is so damn slow). When no floppy present, it goes to the MBR of SCSI and start up my cleaned up boot.ini and Windows XP by it.
I also tryed to use some third party bootloader I found on the internet. But the problem was it placed itself (I couldn't change this myself) on the MBR of HDO (my IDE HD on Primary Slave if you still can follow), and by doing that, messing up my Linux boot sector, so I had to re´nstall it (booting with the boot-disk wasn't enough, cause afterwards Linux gave some errors in the init). Perhaps a solution to my problem is to find a GOOD (what Grub and Lilo seem NOT to be) bootloader, with a descent setup, so I can choose to install it on MBR of SATA0. By doing that my linux Boot Sector is not touched, and I can access from that Third Party Bootloader, in the hope windows will work also from there.
I'm curious for some solutions from all you,