LinuxQuestions.org
Visit the LQ Articles and Editorials section
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
pljvaldez
Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere on the String
Distribution: Debian Squeeze (x86)
Posts: 6,092

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Convert to RAID 1 after OS install?


I've got a couple of boxes (one linux and one Win Vista) that I want to enable the hardware RAID 1 (mirrored drives). I've not worked with RAID before. I don't really know much about RAID, but from what I've gathered from google, it seems like I may have to enable the RAID first in the BIOS and then reinstall. Is that correct or is there a way to enable the onboard RAID without reinstalling? I was hoping to clone the drive with dd and then enable RAID 1 in the bios and viola!

Since one of the machines is my parents' (the Vista box), I'd prefer to do something non-destructive. I may just setup a backup mechanism for them where at least they have the data files backed up to the other drive. If I have to reinstall mine (Debian Lenny), I may bite the bullet and do the reinstall.
 
Old 11-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
centosboy
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: london
Distribution: centos5
Posts: 1,137

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by pljvaldez View Post
I've got a couple of boxes (one linux and one Win Vista) that I want to enable the hardware RAID 1 (mirrored drives). I've not worked with RAID before. I don't really know much about RAID, but from what I've gathered from google, it seems like I may have to enable the RAID first in the BIOS and then reinstall. Is that correct or is there a way to enable the onboard RAID without reinstalling? I was hoping to clone the drive with dd and then enable RAID 1 in the bios and viola!

Since one of the machines is my parents' (the Vista box), I'd prefer to do something non-destructive. I may just setup a backup mechanism for them where at least they have the data files backed up to the other drive. If I have to reinstall mine (Debian Lenny), I may bite the bullet and do the reinstall.
For hardware raid, you have to enable this in the bios. I am not certain you have to reinstall, but you do have to reboot, at least.
Software raid 1 can be set up on a running system.
 
Old 11-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
pljvaldez
Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere on the String
Distribution: Debian Squeeze (x86)
Posts: 6,092

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Oh yeah, if it helps, the Debian box is an Abit IL8 motherboard and the Vista box is an HP Pavilion a6642p (Benicia-GL8E motherboard -- which seems to be the OEM version of the ASUS IPIBL-LB).

@centosboy - I didn't see anything in the HP BIOS for this, but I was just reading online that sometimes you have to enter the "raid bios". A link I found said CTRL+i gets you into an intel raid bios.

Last edited by pljvaldez; 11-16-2009 at 05:40 PM.
 
Old 11-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
centosboy
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: london
Distribution: centos5
Posts: 1,137

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by pljvaldez View Post
Oh yeah, if it helps, the Debian box is an Abit IL8 motherboard and the Vista box is an HP Pavilion a6642p (Benicia-GL8E motherboard -- which seems to be the OEM version of the ASUS IPIBL-LB).

@centosboy - I didn't see anything in the HP BIOS for this, but I was just reading online that sometimes you have to enter the "raid bios". A link I found said CTRL+i gets you into an intel raid bios.
sorry, this is what i mean, but because diff manufacturers will have diff key sequences to get into their raid settings, i just tried to generalise it by saying 'bios'
 
Old 11-16-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
pljvaldez
Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere on the String
Distribution: Debian Squeeze (x86)
Posts: 6,092

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
If I enable RAID 1 and find that it fails to boot for some reason, can I just switch it back to "off" and have the drive boot back up? Sorry for so many noob questions about RAID. Maybe I just need to find a couple of old drives to experiment with...
 
Old 11-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
centosboy
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: london
Distribution: centos5
Posts: 1,137

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by pljvaldez View Post
If I enable RAID 1 and find that it fails to boot for some reason, can I just switch it back to "off" and have the drive boot back up? Sorry for so many noob questions about RAID. Maybe I just need to find a couple of old drives to experiment with...
just reboot and turn raid off
 
  


Reply

Tags
debian, raid1, vista


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Convert RAID 1 system into RAID 1+0 jostmart Linux - Server 8 11-07-2011 12:42 AM
Convert software Raid so i can use it MungoSteve Linux - Newbie 5 03-02-2009 05:48 PM
Convert to SW RAID with LVM2 on existing disk atman1974 Linux - General 1 05-15-2006 12:40 AM
Is it possible to convert from using hardware RAID to software RAID? kindredstar Linux - Hardware 2 12-19-2005 10:13 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration