LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
nads1978
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Distribution: Ubuntu - LX nooooooob
Posts: 24

Rep: Reputation: 15
CCTV for my race car


Hope this is the right section!
I have a question, maybe someone can point me in the right direction....

Here goes;

I want an in-car computer, that can be used like a cctv system. It is to be used on race tracks for recording the days action.
I need 2 cameras (for now) 1 facing forward, the other backward. I'd like to be able to output the files seperatly and edit them on my main PC. Audio would also be good too.

I have limited experience with Linux, I have managed to use Mint/Ubuntu/fedora without problems but have no command line experience (nor desire to have any!)

I'm thinking maybe a CCTV application? I have seen some available for Windows, but would like to make this work with Linux.

I'll run the setup on an older (XP at the moment) computer to make sure it all works how it should, before committing to the purchase of a car-puter.

I already have a solid state hard drive.

Last edited by nads1978; 08-31-2010 at 11:49 AM.
 
Old 08-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,605

Rep: Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by nads1978 View Post
Hope this is the right section!
I have a question, maybe someone can point me in the right direction....

Here goes;

I want an in-car computer, that can be used like a cctv system. It is to be used on race tracks for recording the days action.
I need 2 cameras (for now) 1 facing forward, the other backward. I'd like to be able to output the files seperatly and edit them on my main PC. Audio would also be good too.

I have limited experience with Linux, I have managed to use Mint/Ubuntu/fedora without problems but have no command line experience (nor desire to have any!)

I'm thinking maybe a CCTV application? I have seen some available for Windows, but would like to make this work with Linux.

I'll run the setup on an older (XP at the moment) computer to make sure it all works how it should, before committing to the purchase of a car-puter.

I already have a solid state hard drive.
Why bother? The whole computer is overkill, just to record video. This (http://www.flag2flag.com/racingcams/), is a complete two-camera system, ready to go for $299. HD video/audio, mounting hardware, etc.
 
Old 08-31-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
nads1978
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Distribution: Ubuntu - LX nooooooob
Posts: 24

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Hello. That link is for 1 camera @ $299. Two separate recorders would be harder for me to synchronise on a time line in a package such as Adobe Premier. Also it would work out at $598 + delivery to the UK, where I will get hit for a further 17.5% + 20 fees.

So the computer setup, is looking viable in my opinion. I already have a monitor and solid state hard drive, which are the most costly parts. What I need advice on is software & input method (i/o cards)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Why bother? The whole computer is overkill, just to record video. This (http://www.flag2flag.com/racingcams/), is a complete two-camera system, ready to go for $299. HD video/audio, mounting hardware, etc.
 
Old 09-01-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,605

Rep: Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by nads1978 View Post
Hello. That link is for 1 camera @ $299. Two separate recorders would be harder for me to synchronise on a time line in a package such as Adobe Premier. Also it would work out at $598 + delivery to the UK, where I will get hit for a further 17.5% + 20 fees.
Yeah, you're right. I misread the web page, about the two cameras. And I can relate about the shipping fees...they're outrageous. A friend who lives here (who is Scottish), ordered something kilt-related (belt? sporrin?), and it was $22 US. They wanted $75 for the 'import fee'.
Quote:
So the computer setup, is looking viable in my opinion. I already have a monitor and solid state hard drive, which are the most costly parts. What I need advice on is software & input method (i/o cards)
If I was mounting this in a car, I'd not put the monitor (obviously). If you're just looking to record, you might get away with something as simple as Cheese.

Fire it up, select the device, and click RECORD. Do the same for another instance, with a different device. Disconnect monitor/keyboard/mouse, and drive away. Should be able to use just a USB webcam for video. Easy to test at home, too, to see if it gets the quality you're looking for. That's just one option.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
nads1978
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Distribution: Ubuntu - LX nooooooob
Posts: 24

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thanks for the help
When I said monitor, I meant a small one in the dash! Not a Pimp-my-ride size screen in the trunk!
 
Old 09-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,605

Rep: Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570Reputation: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by nads1978 View Post
Thanks for the help
When I said monitor, I meant a small one in the dash! Not a Pimp-my-ride size screen in the trunk!
Gotcha. I was taking it to mean you had one you'd plug in while you were in the pit, get things going, then unplugged while you raced.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In car race camera krnlcrash Linux - Hardware 6 12-05-2007 08:12 AM
Cctv Dvr Cards njeuk MEPIS 1 05-06-2007 11:15 AM
LXer: Linux Community, Meet Your (Race Car) Driver LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-27-2007 09:31 AM
LXer: Open Source Race Car LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 03-19-2007 10:01 AM
Linux CCTV solution tribalmasters Linux - Security 6 06-14-2006 04:42 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration