LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
davholla
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: London
Distribution: Mandriva 2008 Spring
Posts: 652

Rep: Reputation: 31
Capturing video from you tube


I tried to do using the instructions here :-

http://www.paganini.net/index.cgi/li...uring_flv.html

However there is no file in the cache even though I watched something all the way through.

I used this code

Code:
ffmpeg -i "$(find ~/.mozilla -regex '.*Cache.*' -a -not -regex \
  '.*_CACHE_.*' -printf '%T+ %p\n' | \
  sort -n | awk '{ print $2 }' | xargs file | \
  grep -i "Video" | tail -1 | awk -F : '{ print $1 }')" \
  -vcodec msmpeg4v2 -b 200 -ab 64 -ar 22050 -s 320x240 \
  /tmp/video.avi
 
Old 12-11-2008, 01:23 AM   #2
kenneho
Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Location: Oslo, Norway
Distribution: Ubuntu, Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Posts: 655

Rep: Reputation: 40
Hi.

I don't recall the details, but I remember reading that it should be possible simply to go to http://<something>.youtube.com or something to download the videos.


kenneho
 
Old 12-11-2008, 01:28 AM   #3
htnakirs
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 239

Rep: Reputation: 34
You don't need to "capture" a youtube video.
Offhand I don't recall the path of the firefox cache, find it first. Probably it is a hidden folder under the home directory of the user.
This is what I do ( I use Opera under wine):
First empty the existing cache in the browser.
Then allocate sufficient space in the browser for the cache - a 100 MB is a bare minimum considering the average size of flv videos.
Then keep the cache folder open in Konqueror.
Then visit the youtube site and the video you want to view.
Monitor the cache folder as soon as a particular video has been completely downloaded. Sorting the cache folder on size will ease the process. Usually the largest file is the flv file. In Opera since the cache files do not retain their original extension, I use a script to rename the files - after copying them to another folder.

For best results, avoid browsing other sites while doing this.

Unless you have a good reason to convert to avi, the VLC Media player will play flv videos well.

Last edited by htnakirs; 12-11-2008 at 01:31 AM.
 
Old 12-11-2008, 01:34 AM   #4
kenneho
Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Location: Oslo, Norway
Distribution: Ubuntu, Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Posts: 655

Rep: Reputation: 40
Or do like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLrv0i1Vyj8
 
Old 12-11-2008, 04:52 AM   #5
Junior Hacker
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: North America
Distribution: Debian testing Mandriva Ubuntu
Posts: 2,687

Rep: Reputation: 59
I usually view the YouTube video in Windows, then I go to C:\Documents and Settings\Your user name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files (after enabling "show hidden and system files" in "folder options/view"), and click on "Size" to see the largest file size where the video is usually at. It is usually called "getvideo" or similar. I copy it to my data storage partition.
I rename it to "getvideo.mov" adding the Quick time video extension .mov. Because I install k-lite codecs in Windows, I can then view my personal copy of the YouTube video clip with Media Player classic.

The same applies if you can retrieve the file through your current browser's temporary internet files cache.
 
Old 12-11-2008, 04:56 AM   #6
Junior Hacker
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: North America
Distribution: Debian testing Mandriva Ubuntu
Posts: 2,687

Rep: Reputation: 59
I don't know what the YouTube video clip link posted in the post before mine says, I'm on dial up and don't do YouTube at this particular location, I only do YouTube when stealing wireless access off the street or when I'm at my second residence which has "high speed" high speed internet.
 
Old 12-11-2008, 05:04 AM   #7
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,036

Rep: Reputation: 372Reputation: 372Reputation: 372Reputation: 372
Once you have viewed the video it remains in /tmp/Flash<whatever>

Or, just use youtube-dl: http://www.arrakis.es/~rggi3/youtube-dl/

Or, install the gnash or swfdec plugins, then right click the video to save it.
 
Old 12-11-2008, 05:13 AM   #8
ErV
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: Russia
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 1,202
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 62
Have anyone tried to search?

Read this:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...rabber-688927/

Also, there are a lot of sites that allow to save video from youtube.
One of them is tubeleecher.com. But I bet there at least dozen of other similar sites - just search for them.

Last edited by ErV; 12-11-2008 at 05:15 AM.
 
Old 12-11-2008, 05:21 AM   #9
Junior Hacker
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: North America
Distribution: Debian testing Mandriva Ubuntu
Posts: 2,687

Rep: Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
Once you have viewed the video it remains in /tmp/Flash<whatever>

Or, just use youtube-dl: http://www.arrakis.es/~rggi3/youtube-dl/

Or, install the gnash or swfdec plugins, then right click the video to save it.
Quote:
youtube-dl is a small command-line program to download videos from YouTube.com. It requires the Python interpreter, version 2.4 or later, and it's not platform specific.
This requires you to install more useless software that will inevitably bogg down your system.
Why install more software with possible malicious add-ons when the damn video is already downloaded onto your hard drive when you watched it once???????
 
Old 12-11-2008, 05:27 AM   #10
Junior Hacker
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: North America
Distribution: Debian testing Mandriva Ubuntu
Posts: 2,687

Rep: Reputation: 59
And whatever is on "your" hard drive, is YOURS. No need to worry about licence infringment bullshit.
This is the method I use to get an mp3 of a song that can only be found at the artist's web site.
 
Old 12-11-2008, 05:28 AM   #11
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,036

Rep: Reputation: 372Reputation: 372Reputation: 372Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Hacker View Post
This requires you to install more useless software that will inevitably bogg down your system.
You imply that my advise is useless because youtube-dl has dependencies. But 90% of the distros I know will install python for one or another thing, so... Sorry, your point doesn't make any sense. Plus I said another couple of solution you can use if you don't like the first one, including the one you repeated.

Quote:
Why install more software with possible malicious add-ons when the damn video is already downloaded onto your hard drive when you watched it once???????
Well, youtube-dl is open source. I don't know what are you talking about. Another non-valid point. If you look at the source, it's simple enough for you to be able to review it. What "malicious" software are you talking about?!?

You also don't seem to understand that not everyone likes to view videos online in youtube. And if you don't view it online, guess what: the video is not downloaded in /tmp/. That's what youtube-dl is all about, like it or not, it's as valid option as any other.
 
Old 12-11-2008, 05:33 AM   #12
Junior Hacker
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: North America
Distribution: Debian testing Mandriva Ubuntu
Posts: 2,687

Rep: Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
You imply that my advise is useless because youtube-dl has dependencies. But 90% of the distros I know will install python for one or another thing, so... Sorry, your point doesn't make any sense. Plus I said another couple of solution you can use if you don't like the first one, including the one you repeated.



Well, youtube-dl is open source. I don't know what are you talking about. Another non-valid point. If you look at the source, it's simple enough for you to be able to review it. What "malicious" software are you talking about?!?

You also don't seem to understand that not everyone likes to view videos online in youtube. And if you don't view it online, guess what: the video is not downloaded in /tmp/. That's what youtube-dl is all about, like it or not, it's as valid option as any other.
ONE WAY OR ANOTHER:
You have to download it to have it. Why go through all the extra steps and bogg down your system when all you have to do is watch the video and it's yours?
 
Old 12-11-2008, 05:37 AM   #13
Junior Hacker
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: North America
Distribution: Debian testing Mandriva Ubuntu
Posts: 2,687

Rep: Reputation: 59
If you desire to have a YouTube video, chances are you aquired the need to have the video because you seen it. If you seen it, you already have it.
Braindead wannabe!
 
Old 12-11-2008, 05:38 AM   #14
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,036

Rep: Reputation: 372Reputation: 372Reputation: 372Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Hacker View Post
ONE WAY OR ANOTHER:
You have to download it to have it. Why go through all the extra steps and bogg down your system when all you have to do is watch the video and it's yours?
Because not everyone has the netscape plugin installed?
Because not every browser supports it?
Because linux does not only run on x86 and x86_64, the only two supported arches by adobe?
Because you simply don't like propietary and buggy binary blobs?

There are more reasons. But I don't think we need to extend this conversation anymore. It's offtopic. The OP wanted to know how to get flash videos and we are telling alternatives, in plural. Yours is valid. Mine are as well.

By the way, you don't have to bogg down your system. In fact, I feel that netscape-flash bogs it way more down than having a simple script that has less than 1k lines in python, which is what youtube-dl is. A plain text file.

Last edited by i92guboj; 12-11-2008 at 05:45 AM.
 
Old 12-11-2008, 05:46 AM   #15
Junior Hacker
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: North America
Distribution: Debian testing Mandriva Ubuntu
Posts: 2,687

Rep: Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
Because not everyone has the netscape plugin installed?
Because not every browser supports it?
Because you simply don't like propietary and buggy binary blobs?

There are more reasons. But I don't think we need to extend this conversation anymore. It's offtopic. The OP wanted to know how to get flash videos and we are telling alternatives, in plural. Yours is valid. Mine are as well.

By the way, you don't have to bogg down your system. In fact, I feel that netscape-flash bogs it way more down than having a simple script that has less than 1k lines in python, which is what youtube-dl is. A plain text file.
I hope you realize you're challenging a genius, do you actually think you have the best solution?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video Capturing on 64-bit xnee Linux - Software 6 10-06-2008 01:51 PM
kino capturing video ? firedancer Linux - Newbie 5 08-24-2007 11:56 AM
Capturing video with one video card works but it get failed with another sanjeevsk Linux - Software 0 08-06-2007 04:28 AM
Capturing Video on SUSE 10.2 paragkalra Suse/Novell 1 12-15-2006 03:59 PM
Capturing video with Cinelerra works, capturing video with Xawtv doesn't! seaelf Slackware 0 06-27-2004 05:18 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration