Linux - GeneralThis Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Over the past few days I've been trying to rip some songs from a few of my cds. The ripping process seemed to go smoothly and everything, but once it was done, and I tried playing the mp3 file or the wav file, it produces no sound whatsoever, but the file size is the appropriate size. Playing these CDs work fine, I can hear the sound and everything.
A week ago, I could rip CDs just fine with absolutely no problem, I was thinking it was something I updated in between then and now. But the only thing I've recently tried to install or update was Gaim, Gaim-VV (libj2k, libosip and linphone-im), gtk+ (and glib, pango, atk, libiconv) and gtk-qt-engine.
I've tried reinstalling my ripping programs, but no success. I've also tried changing the volume settings (making sure things aren't muted where they shouldn't be and the volumes are at a hearable point), but no success here either.
I can play other mp3, wav and any other audio format fine, except the ones I've ripped in the past few days.
I have absolutely no idea what happened at this point, and the only solution I can think of is formatting and reinstalling SuSE 9.1
KDE 3.2.92 (Kollege)
Grip & Kaudiocreator (which uses cdparanoia I believe)
SB Live! Sound Card which is connected to my CD ROM
I hope someone here can help me, I really don't want to reformat.
Just a shot in the dark....
are you using lame to encode the mp3s? I just had a thought that perhaps you've encoded Ogg instead, but with an mp3 extension. This really shouldn't be a problem, but I've used some players which depend on the extension to decide which decoder to use for playback.
edit: I see now that you were ripping fine not long ago, so you can probably ignore my post.
yeah no solution yet, i tried reformatting, and for some reason now, i don't really remember.. but yeah.. i THINK it worked with a fresh format... i'm not 100% sure but only in .wav format.. then i started installing a whole buncha stuff and now its back to where it was.. so i'm thinking of formatting again and closely choosing what i reinstall.
i'm also having troubles with my burner too :/ it doesn't burn anything it just gives up after a few seconds.
I've tried using both kaudiocreator and grip. I've tried ripping to both OGG and MP3. Once the rip process is finished, I end up with files that are in the neighborhood of 20k for a three minute song. The ripped file will play in XMSS and will play for as long as the song really is but no sound comes out. Also the meters don't respond.
This all started when I moved from SuSE 9.0 to SuSE 9.1. Not an upgrade. A reinstall.
Sorry, I have still found nothing to fix this. Any program I use to rip songs still produces the same results... a rather small file that plays for the right amount of time, but with no sound. I tried reinstalling lame and oggenc, but it doesn't seem to change anything. I'm stumped on this one. Any ideas anyone?
... meant to mention in my preceding post that saved WAVs also seem to be "empty". Opening any of WAVs, MP3s, or OGGs in Audacity shows all of them as a straight line across the middle, no modulation at all.
Problem Somewhere in CDParanoia, Use cdda2wav Instead ...
CDParanoia is used by KAudioCreator and abcde and, it seems, is pretty old anyway. (SUSE include the latest I could find, but that dates back to 2001.) Entering audiocd:/ in Konqueror also displays OGGs but trying to copy them finishes up with the same bad files, so it appears to be using CDParanoia as well.
Solution I found was to use cdda2wav to rip the CD instead of CDParanoia. And the GUI I found that can use that is the GTK+-based GRiP, which is included on the SUSE 9.1 CDs.
The volume setting didn't change anything but my CD drive was set to "DMA Off". What I know aboiut DMA setting could be contained in a thimble but I figured "Off" had to be wrong. Changed it to "DMA On" and zip-a-dee-doo-dah, I'm ripping.
I had about the same problem. I can't rip -- the mp3/ogg files produced don't play. I couldn't even play with XMMS (using digital CD readout, not analog). I set the DMA on for the CD drive in YaST2 and everything went OK. I wonder which update patch turned it off coz it was working well until recently. Anyway, thanks for the tip!