Here is my suggestion .
Get some people to donate some un-used hardware and create a Dorm Game Server PC . Also go buy a cheap Wireless Router (eg Asus 520GC which costs AU$35 to $45 in Australia).
The game server does NOT have to be high end hardware
1 gig of RAM , old P3/P4/Duron, etc 10 to 20 gig drive.
Try to avoid using anything USB based for networking .
I would setup on the game server a Linux based operating
system and a few dedicated game servers .
ET QW - Linux Dedicated Server ,
BF Heroes - Linux Dedicated Server ,
World In Conflict - Linux Dedicated Server (I know they have a windows one might be a good idea to check if a Linux one exists),
Some good FREE (Freeware/Opensource/Free commerical Games)
that might be popular would be :
- Urban Terror - FPS clone of CS/CSS - Avail for Win, Linux , Mac
- Nexuiz - FPS clone of Quake 1 - Avail for Win, Linux , Mac
- Open Arena - FPS Clone of Quake 3 - Avail for Win, Linux , Mac
- Savage 2 - FPS/RTS - FREE LAN PLAY without needing to pay to unlock the internode modes.
- Wormux - Free worms clone - Avail for Win, Linux , Mac.
Besides hosting the game servers you could have a web page to offer a copy of the free games so others can play , it shouldnt be too hard to setup the DNS redirect when someone connects to the access point it re directs them to the game servers website