I did have some files missing. I had run that configure script which said compilation ok at the bottom so I assumed everything was good. My bad.
Still having trouble making it though. Now when I pipe grep to the config.log to search for errors the only one I get is
conftest.c:10:28: error: ac_nonexistent.h: No such file or directory
From what I found on some message boards I am supposed to have this error.
The new problem is that now when I run make it errors out saying that entries in the config.cache have changed since last time, and that I should use "make distclean" or delete config.cache
I tried running "make distclean". Nothing changed. I'm not sure where the config.cache is supposed to be, but it's not in any that I have been working with.
Next I got the idea to specify the config.cache
This worked, but I still get the same errors.
I updated the links above with the most recent config and make logs.