To follow-up this problem ...
... after a failed attempt to install glibc
, which stopped more or less halfway in the middle, the system was basically "borked."
There was no getting out of this one.
So what I eventually did was to boot from the LiveCD, redo the compile, copy the files, chroot
to the old root, and run ldconfig.
Oh yes, and a bunch of other old stuff had to be replaced, too.
And so it seems that gcc
is highly dependent upon glibc
and if one is broken the other is borked.
In retrospect, what I should
have done is to put the new library into a subdirectory of /lib
, add that entry to /etc/ld.so.conf
, and thereby built myself a more-elegant way to back out of the situation, i.e.
by removing the entry, nuking the directory and re-running ldconfig
. But I didn't, and created quite a splatter.