LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux From Scratch (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-from-scratch-13/)
-   -   No bash shell or login after booting lfs for first time ? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-from-scratch-13/no-bash-shell-or-login-after-booting-lfs-for-first-time-4175452746/)

aashayshah 03-05-2013 01:44 AM

No bash shell or login after booting lfs for first time ?
 
i completed building the lfs , and as i rebooted my computer to start lfs for the first time ,

i saw a grub entry named linux from scratch 7.2 ,
i pressed enter and it started booting , many messages came on the screen and at last , it stopped saying

init: no more run-levels .

Like why ??? why didnt it ask me for login ?? why didnt it start bash ??

It sat like dumb , doing nothing .

Can anyone tell me where i went wrong ??
Please help .
Thanks in advance.

druuna 03-05-2013 01:50 AM

This might point to an /etc/inittab (chap 7.7.1.) that isn't correct, but other issue's can also be the cause of this.

Can you post the exact error message (and 5 to 10 lines before it) and your /etc/inittab?

aashayshah 03-05-2013 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by druuna (Post 4904861)
This might point to an /etc/inittab (chap 7.7.1.) that isn't correct, but other issue's can also be the cause of this.

Can you post the exact error message (and 5 to 10 lines before it) and your /etc/inittab?

Thanks alot for your reply drunna...
This is what i see on the screen :

Setting up Linux console...

FAILURE

You should not be reading this message
It means that an unforeseen error took place in
/etc/rc.d/rcS.d/s70console ,
which exited with return value of 1


If you are able to trace this error down to a bug in one of the files provided by the files provided by the LFS book ,
please be so kind to inform us at
lfs-dev@linuxfromscratch.org

Press enter to continue


After i press enter , i see this:


INIT:Id "2" respawning too fast, disabled for 5 minutes.
INIT: no more processes left in this run level .


It stops there and does nothing , then finally i hav to power off pc :(
my etc/inittab contains:

# Begin /etc/inittab
id:3:initdefault:
si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc S
l0:0:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 0
l1:S1:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 1
l2:2:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 2
l3:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 3
l4:4:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 4
l5:5:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 5
l6:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 6
ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now
su:S016:once:/sbin/sulogin
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty
--noclear tty1 9600
tty2 9600
tty3 9600
tty4 9600
tty5 9600
tty6 9600
# End /etc/inittab

druuna 03-05-2013 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aashayshah (Post 4904917)
# Begin /etc/inittab
id:3:initdefault:
si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc S
l0:0:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 0
l1:S1:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 1
l2:2:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 2
l3:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 3
l4:4:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 4
l5:5:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 5
l6:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 6
ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now
su:S016:once:/sbin/sulogin
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty
--noclear tty1 9600
tty2 9600
tty3 9600
tty4 9600
tty5 9600
tty6 9600
# End /etc/inittab

That doesn't look like the inittab that's in the book.....

aashayshah 03-05-2013 06:30 AM

actually its a copy pasting mistake...

here is my inittab file:

# Begin /etc/inittab

id:3:initdefault:

si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc S

l0:0:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 0
l1:S1:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 1
l2:2:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 2
l3:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 3
l4:4:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 4
l5:5:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 5
l6:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 6

ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now

su:S016:once:/sbin/sulogin

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty --noclear tty1 9600
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty2 9600
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty3 9600
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty4 9600
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty5 9600
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty6 9600

# End /etc/inittab

druuna 03-05-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aashayshah (Post 4904996)
actually its a copy pasting mistake...

here is my inittab file:

Is this a copy/paste from the book or from your system?

Another thing I noticed:
Quote:

Setting up Linux console...

FAILURE

You should not be reading this message
It means that an unforeseen error took place in
/etc/rc.d/rcS.d/s70console ,
which exited with return value of 1
Have you checked /etc/rc.d/init.d/console and /etc/sysconfig/console? Are they correct?

aashayshah 03-05-2013 06:55 AM

it was a mistake from the system . i corrected it and now i am able to get the login prompt and bash too .

bt yet the setting up linux console failure message persists , wat about dat ???

druuna 03-05-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aashayshah (Post 4905012)
bt yet the setting up linux console failure message persists , wat about dat ???

Did you check the files I mentioned at the end of post #6?

aashayshah 03-05-2013 07:14 AM

ok drunna problem solved.....
THANKS ALOT....

one question: After i login , it prints bash-4.2 , then no matter to whichever directory i switch to , it doesnt show that directory name next to bash ... Why so ???

druuna 03-05-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aashayshah (Post 4905022)
one question: After i login , it prints bash-4.2 , then no matter to whichever directory i switch to , it doesnt show that directory name next to bash ... Why so ???

LFS is a very basic/minimal Linux system and this is also true for the prompt. Have a look at BLFS chapter 3.

Especially this: The Bash Shell Startup Files. The other parts of chapter 3 are also worth reading/doing.

Keith Hedger 03-05-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aashayshah (Post 4905022)
ok drunna problem solved.....
THANKS ALOT....

Could you be a bit more specific for other users reference? What bit actually solved the problem and can you mark solved threads as SOLVED so that people don't need to try and help a problem that doesn't now exist :)

aashayshah 03-05-2013 09:06 AM

i am sorry for that , ill make sure next time i mark thread SOLVED as soon as i apply peoples opinion and they work .


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.