LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux From Scratch (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-from-scratch-13/)
-   -   mount command fails (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-from-scratch-13/mount-command-fails-934914/)

jackplughd 03-17-2012 06:21 AM

mount command fails
 
All,

I am running the mount command in chapter 6.2.2 of book 7.1 amd get the following:

I have no name!:/# mount -v --bind /dev $LFS/dev
bash: mount: command not found

No idea how to proceed. Any help gratefully received!!

Host system Mint Lisa.

regards

Jack

druuna 03-17-2012 06:44 AM

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by jackplughd (Post 4629016)
I have no name!:/# mount -v --bind /dev $LFS/dev
bash: mount: command not found

The bold red part should be a big clue.

At this point you should be root user on your host (in chapter 5.35 you logged out as lfs user and became root user). Are you sure you followed the correct steps mentioned in the book.....

jackplughd 03-18-2012 10:01 AM

mount command fails
 
druuna,

thanks for the reply, but I am not sure about it as i was root right up to chapter 6.3 and all worked fine. Then I ran the chroot command in chapter 6.4 when I got the "I have no name" prompt. The book (in 6.4) says that this is normal as the /etc/passwd file has not yet been created. So although according to the book everything is normal I still got the error which I originally posted.

I will go back through the previous commands I have run to check that I have not left anything out (I don't believe I have), but if I don't find anything wrong I will still be at a loss.

thanks

jack

druuna 03-18-2012 10:10 AM

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by jackplughd (Post 4629759)
thanks for the reply, but I am not sure about it as i was root right up to chapter 6.3 and all worked fine.

I really hope that isn't true! Did you actually mean: I've been root from chapter 5.35 until 6.3???? If you have done chapter 5 as root user: Start from scratch, you should have done most of it as lfs user.

Quote:

Then I ran the chroot command in chapter 6.4 when I got the "I have no name" prompt. The book (in 6.4) says that this is normal as the /etc/passwd file has not yet been created. So although according to the book everything is normal I still got the error which I originally posted.
Yes, that is true for 6.4, but not for 6.2.2. From your first post:
Quote:

I am running the mount command in chapter 6.2.2 of book 7.1 amd get the following:

have no name!:/# mount -v --bind /dev $LFS/dev
bash: mount: command not found

jackplughd 03-21-2012 05:51 AM

Druuna,

Apologies, I have not been clear in describing the steps leading up to my problem.

Yes I did mean I've been root from chapter 5.35 until 6.3.

I have been over my previous steps and found a number of commands that I had missed. Now everything is fine.

Humble apologies for wasting your time.

Must try harder!

Jack

druuna 03-21-2012 06:42 AM

Hi jackplughd,

No harm is done :) I'm glad to see that you figured it out and are on track again.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.