LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linux From Scratch
User Name
Password
Linux From Scratch This Forum is for the discussion of LFS.
LFS is a project that provides you with the steps necessary to build your own custom Linux system.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2002, 05:54 AM   #1
slack-penguin
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: Oz
Distribution: LFS 3.3 :)
Posts: 22

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question lfs first boot


Well, I am now lfs registered user 4814

It all went pretty smoothly, however, I am having network problems as I always seem to have with linux...

On bootup I get:

Bringing up the eth0 interface...
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
eth0: unkown interface: No such device [FAILED]
setting up default dateway...
SIOCADDRT: No such device [FAILED]

You should not be reading this error message. It means that an unforseen error took place in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/s20network,
which exited with a return value of 7

etc etc....

What have I done/forgotten or where can I look to start tracking this down

edit:

I've also had probs with lilo. When run lilo from the old (slackware) system, it works fine. But from lfs, it just hangs on system startup :P

Last edited by slack-penguin; 06-08-2002 at 06:00 AM.
 
Old 06-08-2002, 08:09 AM   #2
MasterC
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, UT - USA
Distribution: Gentoo ; LFS ; Kubuntu
Posts: 12,612

Rep: Reputation: 64
DAMN!! I mean cool, but what did you do that I didn't? What did I screw up? See post: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...threadid=22741
 
Old 06-08-2002, 08:11 PM   #3
slack-penguin
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: Oz
Distribution: LFS 3.3 :)
Posts: 22

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
I sent a reply to your thred, and my first prob is now sorted, but why won't lilo work for me on lfs

edit:

Oh never mind, twas me again. I copied lilo.conf from the old sys and forgot to update root= etc

Last edited by slack-penguin; 06-08-2002 at 08:13 PM.
 
Old 06-08-2002, 11:16 PM   #4
MasterC
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, UT - USA
Distribution: Gentoo ; LFS ; Kubuntu
Posts: 12,612

Rep: Reputation: 64
so what do you have as root=

I think that may be where my problem is... My $LFS is/was /LFS on hdb1 and is / on hdb7. SO would I put root=/dev/hdb7?

Thanks
 
Old 06-09-2002, 11:53 AM   #5
lfslinux
LFS Maintainer
 
Registered: Jan 2002
Location: Canmore, Alberta, Canada
Distribution: Linux From Scratch
Posts: 372

Rep: Reputation: 30
Re: lfs first boot

Quote:
Originally posted by slack-penguin
Well, I am now lfs registered user 4814

It all went pretty smoothly, however, I am having network problems as I always seem to have with linux...

On bootup I get:

Bringing up the eth0 interface...
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
eth0: unkown interface: No such device [FAILED]
setting up default dateway...
SIOCADDRT: No such device [FAILED]

You should not be reading this error message. It means that an unforseen error took place in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/s20network,
which exited with a return value of 7

etc etc....

What have I done/forgotten or where can I look to start tracking this down
The error means the kernel has no network card driver support. If you built the network card driver as a module, you must "insmod" the module before you try to access the hardware. You can edit the network script and add the proper insmod command(s) to it before it tries to bring the devices up.

Or, you can turn on the kernel automatic module loading feature which will take care of all this for you. See the kernel documentation on how to enable and configure this option.
 
Old 06-11-2002, 04:52 AM   #6
Baloo
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Distribution: LFS
Posts: 41

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by MasterC
so what do you have as root=

I think that may be where my problem is... My $LFS is/was /LFS on hdb1 and is / on hdb7. SO would I put root=/dev/hdb7?

Thanks
No you need -

root=/dev/hdb1

This is the root of where your LFS installation is contained.
 
Old 06-12-2002, 02:03 AM   #7
slack-penguin
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: Oz
Distribution: LFS 3.3 :)
Posts: 22

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
lfslinux: it's odd that it did that cause I didn't build the network card drivers as a module.

I seems to have fixed itself now, I just wish I knew what it was
 
Old 06-15-2002, 08:22 AM   #8
MasterC
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, UT - USA
Distribution: Gentoo ; LFS ; Kubuntu
Posts: 12,612

Rep: Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally posted by Baloo


No you need -

root=/dev/hdb1

This is the root of where your LFS installation is contained.
I will give it a try, but won't that just boot my new kernel, still putting me into my mandrake distro?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LFS Book Chapter 6 - 1st step (chroot to /mnt/lfs) doens't work bauld Linux From Scratch 11 03-15-2006 01:31 AM
Dual Boot LFS to FAT aarond Linux - General 2 07-21-2004 10:52 AM
Boot Error in LFS saurav_gohain Linux From Scratch 5 07-07-2003 02:19 AM
LFS dosen't boot NGraphiX Linux From Scratch 8 10-09-2002 12:33 AM
Boot LFS with Grub darkmage Linux From Scratch 2 08-20-2002 01:53 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration