LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linux From Scratch
User Name
Password
Linux From Scratch This Forum is for the discussion of LFS.
LFS is a project that provides you with the steps necessary to build your own custom Linux system.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2005, 02:11 AM   #1
Cirdan
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 84

Rep: Reputation: 15
LFS and Windowmanager


Hello everyone. I am only a few weeks old in the linux scene. I am currently running Novell Desktop 9, which is great. After about 10 tries, I finaly got my ATI divers installed correctly, so I isntalled a few games which is sweet.

I am pretty knowlageable on Linux. Maby not a guru, but I'm still good enough to use it as a desktop.

Anyway, in a few months I plan on making my own distro following LFS guid. My current setup is two hard drives. Hda is Windows XP Pro and hdb is my linux hard drive. I had a few questions about LFS.

1) Is GRUB a good bootloader for dual-booting/newbies? I don't mind learning how to configure stuff through text file and all.

2) What Window Manager is good to use with LFS? I know that there is a guid on using KDE and GNOME. But, I hear that both are a pain to install(well, atleast GNOME is). I was thinking of maby using IceWM. Is that a good choice, or should I stick with what the guid shows and use KDE(Doesn't GNOME use a whole lot of dependencies?) I want something that is easily skinnable, and highly customizable so I can configure the location of menue bars, whats in the menu bars, and the size of the menu bar.

3) I have a Pentium 4, 3GHz processor, with a gig of ram. Should building variouse parts of LFS take long?

4) Is it hard to do LFS? I know how to make files using ./configure and make, etc. I also know some c++, with what I know should it be complicated to make a LFS system?


I mostly want to do a LFS system to learn more about Linux, and so I can know whats going on behind the scenes of the system. AND so I don't have stuff running in the background that I will never use.
 
Old 11-29-2005, 03:52 AM   #2
mr_demilord
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Posts: 244

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
1) Is GRUB a good bootloader for dual-booting/newbies? I don't mind learning how to configure stuff through text file and all.
Yes grub is the most recommended and most powerful bootloader, there are many howto's on the web how to configure GRUB

Quote:
2) What Window Manager is good to use with LFS? I know that there is a guid on using KDE and GNOME. But, I hear that both are a pain to install(well, atleast GNOME is). I was thinking of maby using IceWM. Is that a good choice, or should I stick with what the guid shows and use KDE(Doesn't GNOME use a whole lot of dependencies?) I want something that is easily skinnable, and highly customizable so I can configure the location of menue bars, whats in the menu bars, and the size of the menu bar.
Thats very personal, I would personally pick Enlightenment which is very beautiful and powerful.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enlight...indow_manager)
For a desktop manager I would pick XFCE or KDE.

Tip: build them in the opt so you can easily try them and if you dont like it you can easily install a other W.M or D.E

Quote:
3) I have a Pentium 4, 3GHz processor, with a gig of ram. Should building variouse parts of LFS take long?
I think compiling wont take long.
I builded the system in 3 days on a Pentium 3 Mobile 750MHZ with 256MB SD-RAM.
including the whole KDE packages

Quote:
4) Is it hard to do LFS? I know how to make files using ./configure and make, etc. I also know some c++, with what I know should it be complicated to make a LFS system?
LFS is not hard to build. You just have to follow it by the book and all should be fine.
The hard part is BLFS. I've ran in some trouble after Heimdal with the glob.h header file which had to restore to the original file from glibc, Just keep a backup of the file and restore it after building heimdal and all should be fine because it caused problems with some other packages
The rest of the issues I had were configuration issues which weren't really issues.

Hope this helped
 
Old 11-30-2005, 01:44 AM   #3
Cirdan
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 84

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thanks, your post helped! Now one more question, is it hard to creat an iso and installer? I mostly want to do this so I don't have to rebuilt my system, I can jsut reinstall it. Becuase being a noobie and messing stuff up happens quit often.
 
Old 11-30-2005, 11:50 AM   #4
shevegen
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware / Debian
Posts: 89

Rep: Reputation: 15
Creating an ISO shouldnt be hard. There are some guides out there. Also I recommend a very basic window manager, a small one, be it pekwm oder fluxbox or whatever.

You can lateron still choose KDE or Gnome (i think GTK is more important than either KDE or Gnome though btw)
 
Old 12-05-2005, 12:44 AM   #5
Cirdan
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 84

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
ok, I am planning to creat my LFS system during Christmas break. I have another question I'd like to get streightened out befor my adventure. Let me start by restating my setup.

I have 2 Hard drives. hda and hdb. On /dev/hda1 is windows, and is what my current GRUB bootloader points so it can boot windows. /dev/hdb1 is my Linux Swap, hdb2 is my Linux Native partition, to which Novell Desktop Suse deal is installed. Then, I think Novell installed GRUB to /boot or something.

Now, what I want to do is have the same type setup for my LFS system. I already have the 6.1 LiveCD burned and ready to go. I want to have graphical bootloader, and have my LFS system to use up the whole 2nd hard drive. What is the best way to go about doing all this, with out getting locked out of Windows? Does the livecd have GRUB on there?

Lemmie restate my q in simpler terms. How to I deleate the bootloader, deleat my current linux partitions on my 2nd hd, and recreate it so I can boot windows still, but then boot into my LFS system? Or atleast get it ready to beable to boot into my LFS system while I build it.



I hope this makes sence, and if you have a question, plz ask!
 
Old 12-05-2005, 11:22 AM   #6
mr_demilord
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Posts: 244

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirdan
ok, I am planning to creat my LFS system during Christmas break. I have another question I'd like to get streightened out befor my adventure. Let me start by restating my setup.

I have 2 Hard drives. hda and hdb. On /dev/hda1 is windows, and is what my current GRUB bootloader points so it can boot windows. /dev/hdb1 is my Linux Swap, hdb2 is my Linux Native partition, to which Novell Desktop Suse deal is installed. Then, I think Novell installed GRUB to /boot or something.
Correct

Quote:
Now, what I want to do is have the same type setup for my LFS system. I already have the 6.1 LiveCD burned and ready to go. I want to have graphical bootloader, and have my LFS system to use up the whole 2nd hard drive. What is the best way to go about doing all this, with out getting locked out of Windows? Does the livecd have GRUB on there?
You don't need to install Grub again, like you said you can add a entry with YaST on SuSE to the partition where you install LFS. BTW LFS build perfectly from SuSE, no need to use the livecd, the LFS Live CD is to build the system on a PC without a OS. Just install the needed tools to build the toolchain.

Quote:
Lemmie restate my q in simpler terms. How to I deleate the bootloader, deleat my current linux partitions on my 2nd hd, and recreate it so I can boot windows still, but then boot into my LFS system? Or atleast get it ready to beable to boot into my LFS system while I build it.
Like I said, you don't need to reinstall or install grub.

Quote:


I hope this makes sence, and if you have a question, plz ask!
If you want to erase the you can boot with the XP CD and do a console repair and do fdisk /mbr to erase the current master boot record and install the new grub bootloader with the LFS Live CD.


Good luck
 
Old 12-05-2005, 12:42 PM   #7
Cirdan
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 84

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Ok, what I want to do is install LFS over my SuSe. Should I just erase both partitions on my 2nd hard drive? Thats why I downloaded and burned live cd. Is the only way to do this is do erase and reinstall grub like you mentioned?
 
Old 12-06-2005, 01:26 AM   #8
mr_demilord
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Posts: 244

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirdan
Ok, what I want to do is install LFS over my SuSe. Should I just erase both partitions on my 2nd hard drive? Thats why I downloaded and burned live cd. Is the only way to do this is do erase and reinstall grub like you mentioned?
I would keep SuSE for a while you can already format the windows partition. It's the best to build from SuSE because you can run a higher resolution, I couldn't get pass the 800X600.
If the LFS is ready you can format the SuSE partition and install Grub on the LFS partition. :-)
Later you can use the SuSE partition and windows partition for your /home directory and/or /usr by editing the fstab :-)
The problem is that if grub is already installed on a partition/drive you cannot install it again. you have to erase the mbr/master boot record, the easiest way/most known way is to insert the windows cd and use the command fdisk /mbr

PS I would recommend you to use SuSE because you cannot copy/paste, higher resolution screen, editing config files is easier.

Last edited by mr_demilord; 12-06-2005 at 01:29 AM.
 
Old 12-07-2005, 06:41 PM   #9
Cirdan
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 84

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_demilord
I would keep SuSE for a while you can already format the windows partition. It's the best to build from SuSE because you can run a higher resolution, I couldn't get pass the 800X600.
If I build from suse, can I later deleate suse and resize my LFS partition?
 
Old 12-08-2005, 02:13 AM   #10
Jacky Quah
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2005
Posts: 28

Rep: Reputation: 15
I had the same thing happen I used my hda1 for windows Xp
and hdb1 for LFS system, when I removed hdb from my computer. the grub boot loader doesn't works.

so I think if you delete partition with
/boot/grub/menu.lst files in it. the grub bootloader will not works.
 
Old 12-08-2005, 03:13 AM   #11
mr_demilord
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Posts: 244

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirdan
If I build from suse, can I later deleate suse and resize my LFS partition?
Yes thats also possible. But keep a separate partition for the /home directory, because if you want to format or install a other distro your personal files/settings will be safe.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LFS Book Chapter 6 - 1st step (chroot to /mnt/lfs) doens't work bauld Linux From Scratch 11 03-15-2006 12:31 AM
WindowManager Help aggrosk8rdude VectorLinux 8 07-04-2005 05:21 AM
Windowmanager. Trygve Programming 4 03-31-2004 05:19 PM
Windowmanager troubles archlyn Linux - Software 2 03-10-2004 03:09 PM
Amiga Windowmanager fackamato Linux - Software 0 03-08-2004 03:23 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration