LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux From Scratch (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-from-scratch-13/)
-   -   installing X (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-from-scratch-13/installing-x-916561/)

devilboy09 12-01-2011 08:57 AM

installing X
 
well, finally i'm installing X.i'm reading chapter 23 and i have some questions i like to ask.all my questions is about the introduction page.

1.there's a script in the beginning of this page.what's the name of this script? i mean in what name should i save it?

2.the book says i should create a directory for installing Xorg, named xc.where should i create it?

3.XORG_PREFIX="<PREFIX>" : which value should i set to this env: /usr or /usr/X11

4.because i'm not familiar with X in detail, i probably should install all the packages in chapter 23,24 and 25.am i right?

weibullguy 12-01-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilboy09 (Post 4539145)
1.there's a script in the beginning of this page.what's the name of this script? i mean in what name should i save it?

Name it whatever you want to name it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilboy09 (Post 4539145)
2.the book says i should create a directory for installing Xorg, named xc.where should i create it?

It doesn't say a directory for installing Xorg, it says a working directory. Create it wherever you want. I usually create it in my non-privileged user's $HOME directory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilboy09 (Post 4539145)
3.XORG_PREFIX="<PREFIX>" : which value should i set to this env: /usr or /usr/X11

Did you read the paragraph preceding this? Make a decision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilboy09 (Post 4539145)
4.because i'm not familiar with X in detail, i probably should install all the packages in chapter 23,24 and 25.am i right?

No. Chapter 23 will leave you with a working X environment using TWM as your window manager. Where you go from there is up to you. Could go Fluxbox, Blackbox, Openbox, VTWM, icewm, Gnome, LXDE, XFCE, KDE, etc. That choice will determine what else needs to be installed.

devilboy09 12-01-2011 10:19 AM

Code:

Did you read the paragraph preceding this? Make a decision.
i did read it, but i want to make the best choice.i mean which location is better? is there any differences?

i want to install Gnome.
Code:

No. Chapter 23 will leave you with a working X environment using TWM as your window manager. Where you go from there is up to you. Could go Fluxbox, Blackbox, Openbox, VTWM, icewm, Gnome, LXDE, XFCE, KDE, etc. That choice will determine what else needs to be installed.
so, you mean after chapter 23(installing all the packages?) i should skip to the installation of gnome?
what about chapter 24.there are alot of X libraries. i'm a little bit confused

druuna 12-01-2011 11:32 AM

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by devilboy09 (Post 4539218)
so, you mean after chapter 23(installing all the packages?) i should skip to the installation of gnome?
what about chapter 24.there are alot of X libraries. i'm a little bit confused

Nope. If you want to install gnome you do all of chapter 23 and then skip to the Gnome section (IX. GNOME).

The mentioned libraries (24. X Libraries) are installed when/if needed, other packages depend on them.

Hope this helps.

devilboy09 12-01-2011 11:40 AM

tanX

weibullguy 12-01-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilboy09 (Post 4539218)
i did read it, but i want to make the best choice.i mean which location is better? is there any differences?

I make a link /usr/X11 --> /usr and then install to /usr; that is, I set XORG_PREFIX=/usr. Sometimes some software only looks in /usr/X11 to find X libraries. Neither /usr or /usr/X11 is necessarily better.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.