Linux From ScratchThis Forum is for the discussion of LFS.
LFS is a project that provides you with the steps necessary to build your own custom Linux system.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Hi. I'm using BLFS v. 6.1 on a LFS 6.2 system. The LFS was pretty much by the book, only I used GParted to make my partitions.
My problem is that every time I try to build guile from source, I get through ./configure fine, but the make command gives me the same error each time. It's an incredibly indescriptive "[error 2]".
I dumped the entire output of configure and make into text files, but to be honest, I don't know which parts are relevant, and I don't think I should post 1,500 lines of output. Is it the end that is the most relevent? What should I post.
I should note that I've satisfied all dependencies and that I'm actually building chrooted in from the LFS LiveCD. (I don't have any gui on the LFS yet, and although I don't need it, its a nice security blanket.)
I'm compiling all this on a compaq presario laptop V5119US.
Thanks for your help, and if you need any other info, just ask.
Last edited by PatrickNew; 08-21-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Alright. Here we go. The last 20 lines of output from config:
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... yes
appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool
checking for tgoto in -lncurses... yes
checking for readline in -lreadline... yes
checking for siginterrupt... yes
checking for rl_clear_signals... yes
checking for rl_cleanup_after_signal... yes
checking for rl_filename_completion_function... yes
checking for rl_pre_input_hook... yes
checking if readline clears SA_RESTART flag for SIGWINCH... yes
checking for rl_getc_function pointer in readline... yes
checking for strdup... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating ice-9/Makefile
config.status: executing depfiles commands
The configure was successful. The make was unsuccessful. Here is the actual error
guile.c: In function 'main':
guile.c:91: error: array type has incomplete element type
There is an error in the source file guile.c in the function called 'main' at line 91 and there is an array at line 91 with incomplete element type. Looking at line 90-92 of guile.c that I just downloaded I see an array on line 91. Googling the full error message I find this mail archive that describes "exactly" your problem and a solution. Sorry I can't be more help.