LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux From Scratch (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-from-scratch-13/)
-   -   BLFS 6.1 Xorg-6.8.2 creating 'host.def' help needed. (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-from-scratch-13/blfs-6-1-xorg-6-8-2-creating-%27host-def%27-help-needed-369957/)

kagashe 10-05-2005 07:56 AM

BLFS 6.1 Xorg-6.8.2 creating 'host.def' help needed.
 
Hi,

I have successfully installed LFS and installing BLFS now within Chroot from the host system.
I am stuck up at creating 'host.def' file. This is C file and I don't have any knowledge of C. I am not sure whether I should copy the file from the book and post it into the terminal or there is a need to uncomment any line before pasting. I am afraid that if I just copy/paste the file it would be an empty file. I am copying the file from the book here:
Quote:

cat > config/cf/host.def << "EOF"
/* Begin Xorg host.def file */

/* System Related Information. If you read and configure only one
* section then it should be this one. The Intel architecture defaults
* are set for a i686 and higher. Axp is for the Alpha architecture
* and Ppc is for the Power PC. AMD64 is for the Opteron processor.
* Note that there have been reports that the Ppc optimization line
* causes segmentation faults during build. If that happens, try
* building without the DefaultGcc2PpcOpt line. ***********/

/* #define DefaultGcc2i386Opt -O2 -fno-strength-reduce \
-fno-strict-aliasing -march=i686 */
/* #define DefaultGcc2AMD64Opt -O2 -fno-strength-reduce \
-fno-strict-aliasing */
/* #define DefaultGcc2AxpOpt -O2 -mcpu=ev6 */
/* #define DefaultGcc2PpcOpt -O2 -mcpu=750 */

#define HasFreetype2 YES
#define HasFontconfig YES
#define HasExpat YES
#define HasLibpng YES
#define HasZlib YES

/*
* Which drivers to build. When building a static server, each of
* these will be included in it. When building the loadable server
* each of these modules will be built.
*
#define XF86CardDrivers mga glint nv tga s3virge sis rendition \
neomagic i740 tdfx savage \
cirrus vmware tseng trident chips apm \
GlideDriver fbdev i128 \
ati DevelDrivers ark \
cyrix siliconmotion vesa vga \
XF86OSCardDrivers XF86ExtraCardDrivers
*/

/*
* Select the XInput devices you want by uncommenting this.
*
#define XInputDrivers mouse keyboard acecad calcomp citron \
digitaledge dmc dynapro elographics \
microtouch mutouch penmount spaceorb \
summa wacom void magictouch aiptek
*/

/* Most installs will only need this */

#define XInputDrivers mouse keyboard

/* Disable building Xprint server and clients until we get them figured
* out but build Xprint libraries to allow precompiled binaries such as
* Acrobat Reader to run.
*/

#define XprtServer NO
#define BuildXprintClients NO

/* Uncomment the following define if you would prefer to install X into
* /usr or change it to any other location that you prefer.
* The GL related defines disable compatibility symlinks (the links are not needed
* when X is installed in /usr).
#define ProjectRoot /usr
#define LinkGLToUsrInclude NO
#define LinkGLToUsrLib NO
*/

/* Uncomment the following define if you would prefer to install the
* fonts into /usr/share/fonts, a directory that is fontconfig's default
* font search path.
#define FontDir /usr/share/fonts
*/

/* End Xorg host.def file */
EOF
Also I would like to highlite the following requirement from the book:
Quote:

The documentation for Xorg indicates that the application will build without a host.def file, but the included libraries for Fontconfig and FreeType2 do not build properly on a base LFS system. Therefore, you must specify that these libraries, as well as others, should be imported from the system.
How?

I would also like to modify the file to use Intel i686 architecture and Ati Radeon driver.

kagashe

freakyg 10-05-2005 10:42 AM

just copy it as you see in the book........the "cat" command will put the file in the dir it belongs so it can configure properly.........

Quote:

/* System Related Information. If you read and configure only one
* section then it should be this one. The Intel architecture defaults
* are set for a i686 and higher
. Axp is for the Alpha architecture
* and Ppc is for the Power PC.
Quote:

/*
* Which drivers to build. When building a static server, each of
* these will be included in it. When building the loadable server
* each of these modules will be built.
*
#define XF86CardDrivers mga glint nv tga s3virge sis rendition \
neomagic i740 tdfx savage \
cirrus vmware tseng trident chips apm \
GlideDriver fbdev i128 \
ati DevelDrivers ark \
cyrix siliconmotion vesa vga \
XF86OSCardDrivers XF86ExtraCardDrivers
*/
the default ati driver will be built.........IF you want 3d accel.........you'll have to install a 3rd party driver AFTER you get BLFS built and running........

kagashe 10-06-2005 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by freakyg
just copy it as you see in the book........the "cat" command will put the file in the dir it belongs so it can configure properly.........
Thanks. Actually I got confused with hash (#) sign. In Linux shell you have to remove it but in C anything after # is executed, unless it is between /* */. I also uncommented (removed /* */) around
Quote:

#define DefaultGcc2i386Opt -O2 -fno-strength-reduce \
-fno-strict-aliasing -march=i686
. The install was successful. I have also configured it now through
Quote:

Xorg -configure
.

Thanks for your responce.

kagashe


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.