I imagine that this applies to few LFS users, but I had been struggling with fonts in the Japanese version of Openoffice 1.1.2. Basically they looked like うんち。Some of you may know what I mean. Well, I found the simple solution. At least it works on my system, and I don't recall doing anything spectacular that is above and beyond what was written in LFS5. From the xfree86 website:
For applications based on GTK+ 2.0 (including GNOME 2 applications), the environment variable `GDK_USE_XFT' should be set to `1':
$ export GDK_USE_XFT=1
So what I did was make an alias in my .bashrc file...
alias soffice='GDK_USE_XFT=1 soffice'
and now my fonts look something like what I would expect them to. This is a total relief. I never use windows though it's on my box, and Ive been trying to write up my resume in Japanese. Now it is finally doable!
...and so do you (as long as you have chosen LFS