Network monitoring Ideas wanted
Goals: actively monitor and track inventory
Detect unauthorized hardware and software
Monitor critical systems for; temp, HD space, Ram, CPU usage, Services...
1. Passively discover devices
2. Actively discover devices
3. Track devices based on MAC and device name
4. Quickly find IP address currently associated with the device
5. Use SNMP or Agent for critical devices
6. Inventory all hardware and software assets
7. Alert on changes made to devices or software installed
8. Email and SMS Alerts
We currently are using servers alive which does a ping sweep and can use snmp or an agent. It does not perform discovery.
Haven't found something that does everything I would like and am hoping for some suggestions.
I'm thinking about using OCS-inventory and GLPI for asset and inventory
Autoscan v0.99 on the backtrack cd does a great job of finding everything but the newer versions choke when they see our OCE printers and it won't send an alert.
I have Zenoss running on CentOS and it runs well but doesn't do a passive discovery and it seems to only discover SNMP enabled devices. Map is pretty though and Management likes pretty.
I'll be trying out Zabbix and Groundwork soon.
netdiscover did a great job of finding everything but I haven't found a way to save the results. Anyone know how? I tried sending it to a txt file but I just end up with the first few results listed over and over again.