LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware > Linux - Embedded & Single-board computer
User Name
Password
Linux - Embedded & Single-board computer This forum is for the discussion of Linux on both embedded devices and single-board computers (such as the Raspberry Pi, BeagleBoard and PandaBoard). Discussions involving Arduino, plug computers and other micro-controller like devices are also welcome.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-07-2013, 05:18 AM   #1
mikk
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
which board for a small home server?


Hi!
I'm planning to build a low cost, low power linux home server.
I saw that there are a lot of small single board computers that can run linux and I am a little confused. Do you have some suggestions?
This i wath i need:
Run debian or ubuntu with not too much troubles, a bit of community support. I will run it headless, so I don't care about video drivers support.
Run a bittorrent client, with web interface, on an 100Mbps vdsl.
Run a samba server.
optional: maybe i will like to run on it in the future a webcam streaming server.
So I want to have at least a 100Mbps ethernet port, but if it has gigabit ethernet, the better. No need for wi-fi.
Also a sata port would be much appreciated.
Price is a concern because I have no income at the moment, so I want to stay around 100 or less if possible, including some sort of storage (I saw 2.5'' hdd for less than 40, that leves around 60 for the board).

My best choiche by now is Olinuxino A20. Do you think it will do the job? How much ram do you think I need?
Thanks to everyone!
 
Old 09-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
Doc CPU
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Distribution: Mint, Debian, Gentoo, Win 2k/XP
Posts: 1,061

Rep: Reputation: 315Reputation: 315Reputation: 315Reputation: 315
Hi there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikk View Post
I'm planning to build a low cost, low power linux home server.
I saw that there are a lot of small single board computers that can run linux and I am a little confused. Do you have some suggestions?
This i wath i need:
Run debian or ubuntu with not too much troubles, a bit of community support. I will run it headless, so I don't care about video drivers support.
Run a bittorrent client, with web interface, on an 100Mbps vdsl.
Run a samba server.
optional: maybe i will like to run on it in the future a webcam streaming server.
So I want to have at least a 100Mbps ethernet port, but if it has gigabit ethernet, the better. No need for wi-fi.
Also a sata port would be much appreciated.
Price is a concern because I have no income at the moment, so I want to stay around 100 or less if possible, including some sort of storage (I saw 2.5'' hdd for less than 40, that leves around 60 for the board).

My best choiche by now is Olinuxino A20. Do you think it will do the job?
Actually, I've never heard of that, I don't know it. Judging from the specs, it's not that bad.
But I'd be hesitant. After all, it's not actually common standard hardware. You might want to extend your server some time, and then you'll be happy about standard interfaces.

Therefore, I'd rather go for cheap standard components. One of my favorite electronics dealers currently offers this: http://www.pollin.de/shop/dt/MjA4ODk...leron_220.html
Looks fit for your description, it has all you want (and more). This board comes without RAM, so you'll need a DDR2 RAM module, which you should be able to find at 10..15EUR. Add a small power supply, and you're done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikk View Post
How much ram do you think I need?
Considering your "low power, low cost" criteria, I think 1GB should easily do the job - after all, you're not running an X server or a desktop environment.

[X] Doc CPU
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
mikk
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Posts: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
The offer you quoted is really interesting, and also the rest of the site has some interesting stuff, tanks you.
Of course, an x86 standard architecture will make everything simpler, but I am not totally convinced. Consider this: at actual prices, an always running device will cost me more than 2€ per watt per year. So, a cheap, low power, few years old x86 system will consume at least 20-30W, costing in a year around 40€ more than a tipical 5W arm system. Said that, I'm also a little curious of seeing how linux work on an arm system.
 
Old 09-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Doc CPU
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Distribution: Mint, Debian, Gentoo, Win 2k/XP
Posts: 1,061

Rep: Reputation: 315Reputation: 315Reputation: 315Reputation: 315
Hi there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikk View Post
The offer you quoted is really interesting, and also the rest of the site has some interesting stuff, tanks you.
Of course, an x86 standard architecture will make everything simpler, but I am not totally convinced. Consider this: at actual prices, an always running device will cost me more than 2 per watt per year.
yes, power consumption (and thus, power cost) is a point. And a significant one at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikk View Post
So, a cheap, low power, few years old x86 system will consume at least 20-30W
I've got a few systems here with a first-generation Intel Atom (Atom 230 at 1.6GHz), one of which has actually been running as a home/office server 24/7 for the last four years. The average power consumption is about 15W, including the built-in 160GB HDD. External HDDs are sent to sleep (spin-down) when not in use for some minutes.

At the distant end of the efficiency scale there would be a Raspberry Pi - if you're willing to accept that it has its limits in terms of performance. It is sold at slightly under 40EUR, and all you need is a small wall-plug power supply (5V DC at 500..700mA, a bit more if you intend to use USB-powered peripherals) and an SD memory card of 2GB or more. Actually, 2GB is enough for a system featuring a file server (samba), a web server (apache), a mail server (dovecot) and a DHCP/DNS server (dnsmasq), especially when you remove the preinstalled X server and desktop - btdt. Total hardware cost about 50EUR. :-)

Network access to an attached USB HDD proves to be a bottleneck, because internally the LAN port is connected to the CPU via USB, too. But hey, you can get away with less than 10W including the external HDD! The Pi alone needs only 2..3W, that's less than 25kWh per year.

[X] Doc CPU

Last edited by Doc CPU; 09-09-2013 at 03:59 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Small Business Server 2003 - change the home page for IE sycamorex General 0 01-18-2012 09:47 AM
Small home server Subbeh Linux - Hardware 5 11-30-2011 09:47 PM
How big of a target is a small server at home? wulp Linux - Security 4 03-19-2011 02:05 PM
Having a small home server, BSD or Ubuntu Server? dynaemu Linux - Server 6 02-18-2011 04:01 PM
Small home server setup question mfilippa Debian 5 04-15-2006 10:11 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration