I received a Beaglebone Black
yesterday. Fired it up and poked around for a bit, but haven't done that much with it as of yet.
I ended up ordering the board from Newark Electronics, as they were one of the few that had it in stock.
I also ordered a battery cape and breadboard cape. Received them from Digi-Key. The battery cape arrived disguised as a spool of 28 ga 150' wire. Upon letting them know the problem, they have shipped the battery cape which will be here in a few days. Good customer service.
The board has the Angstrom Linux OS installed on it. I haven't worked with it before, but having dealt with OpenWRT for several years now it's not exactly foreign. Seems to work well enough, although on the package updates it rewrote the /etc/resolv.conf file so it couldn't resolve domains. I corrected that, and it's on its way again. Looks like it's updating the majority of the OS. Taking plenty of time.
I checked and found that Texas Instruments has a development guide for Android
, which I am considering. I've been having a few beers and installing the various components when I'm inspired today. My thought is to use Eclipse for development, which I have done for a project for Android phones in the past. I like the IDE. It's a bit o' work, and I'm working through it at my own pace.
I did go through the process of compiling a Debian image for the board last night, but it turns out I don't have anything larger than a 2 GB microSD card here not in use. That's the vehicle used to load the images. The image is larger than that, and beyond that there were a few errors I saw toward the end of the process that left me thinking it wasn't going to work anyhow. I like Debian, but overall, this isn't the OS I feel I should be using on this board.
It will probably end up w/ Android as I mentioned. Seems to suit my needs better.
Something I found mildly annoying with Angstrom was how I edited the interfaces file to eliminate USB networking, which I don't need. When I fired up the board again, it again created a USB interface. Great. Looks like there could be some stagnant files in /etc, dunno. I'll review that after the OS upgrade finishes. I don't care that much, but it overwrites the /etc/resolv.conf file on my desktop, although for some reason it leaves it alone on my ultrabook. Probably something to do with dhcp on the USB interface.
Ordered one of these TI accelerometers
. Something to play with in time. Need to straighten out the development platform first.
Seems like a nice board, though. Should have the power to handle anything I need to do with it. I'll probably order another shortly. They're inexpensive.
Hmmnn...I could run an AP off one of these things. I recently found that running the latest release of OpenWRT on my Ubiquiti NanoStation2 w/ only quagga & snmp running on it, the resources used just don't leave enough RAM. When I start pounding on it with a large download it ends up rebooting. ospf & snmp just might be a bit much for 4 meg of flash and 16 meg of RAM. Something to think of in the future I suppose.