LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions
User Name
Password
Linux - Distributions This forum is for Distribution specific questions.
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Novell, LFS, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora - the list goes on and on... Note: An (*) indicates there is no official participation from that distribution here at LQ.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2011, 07:49 AM   #16
acid_kewpie
Moderator
 
Registered: Jun 2001
Location: UK
Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos
Posts: 43,406

Rep: Reputation: 1965Reputation: 1965Reputation: 1965Reputation: 1965Reputation: 1965Reputation: 1965Reputation: 1965Reputation: 1965Reputation: 1965Reputation: 1965Reputation: 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagooch View Post
raazman - we need to hear from you...because you forgot to fill in the critical information required to answer your quest...."for what?" . Without knowing what the distro is going to be used for, there is no way to answer your question. If you supply the requirements or at least the purpose(home desktop, graphics editing, video editing, software development, etc ) then we can give you a more intelligent answer.
we don't need to hear back from him at all, it's a very common question, that he asked nearly a year ago. I'd suggest just letting this thread die.
 
Old 03-14-2011, 07:50 AM   #17
michaelk
Moderator
 
Registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 11,922

Rep: Reputation: 747Reputation: 747Reputation: 747Reputation: 747Reputation: 747Reputation: 747Reputation: 747
jagooch,
It has been almost a year since raazman's last post. This is a dead thread and doubt we will hear from the OP again.

Too late...

Last edited by michaelk; 03-14-2011 at 07:53 AM.
 
Old 03-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #18
wiseguy808
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Posts: 13

Rep: Reputation: 4
Jeez, i just dont understand some of the people on this forum. (The last forum i was on, everyone was sniping at the asker too!) I'm sure that he understands that it is like comparing apples to oranges. but the point isnt to necessarily compare them, he just wants to get an answer about what the general consensus is on which of the two is more liked! Imagine if you were an alien and you came to earth and had an apple in one hand and an orange in the other. Not knowing what either is, you ask humans which is better, easier to eat, etc. some people like oranges better than apples and vice versa, but everyone can agree that alot of extra work has to go into eating an orange as opposed to an apple because you have to peel an orange. but an apple has seeds, etc. I'm pretty sure that having been in his position myself not so long ago, he is looking for these differances, he wants to know if you have to peel fedora or if you have to avoid the seeds in ubuntu, etc. Cant we just answer his question and move forward instead of criticising his asking method, or his logic, and pointing out every minute flaw in his use of netiquette?! Seriously! I just dont understand. I've never been on another forum where these petty things have been brought up in almost every thread that is posted. Just answer the Question!


Now for my answer:
I have to be honest, Im pretty sure i could open a linux distro store with all the discs ii have lying around because i went to http://distrowatch.com and pretty much downloaded everything that soundedd like it could be something i like. I recomend that (And the use of unetbootin so you dont blow thru a ton of CDs) because it gives you the chance to ecperience, in your case, both disrtos without the committment of fully installing either one. Personally, i have tried both of those and have settled on ubuntu 10.10. The UI is very easy and it comes with the ubuntu software center (So you dont have to compile *.rpms). Just my Opinion though.

-Mike Stern
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,592
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy808 View Post
but the point isnt to necessarily compare them
Quote:
thoughts on the comaprision of Fedora and Ubuntu. Is Ubuntu 10.04 and Fedora 12 comparable or Fedora 13?
Speaks for it self.
Quote:
the general consensus is on which of the two is more liked!
It is logically impossible to have a general consensus about something like that.

But you are right in one thing, the best way for the OP is to just try them and to see what is better to him.

By the way, I don't think that you have to compile .rpms to install software on Fedora, you just can install them with yum.
 
Old 03-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #20
wiseguy808
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Posts: 13

Rep: Reputation: 4
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
I don't think that you have to compile .rpms to install software on Fedora, you just can install them with yum.

Your probably right. that could probably also be compared to apt-get / aptitude, but i just mean as far as installing software outside of the supported repositories (because its a pretty daunting task for beginners (speaking from experience) to do things like edit the repositories list and stuff.). I just like Ubuntu because it's based off of Debian so it can run .deb files, and it just opens the installation in the ubuntu software center and so it omits the command line completely. But is that better?... I dont know. I just know that when i was making the switch over to linux, I felt that the big bad *COMMAND LINE*(Insert epic music here...) was something to be avoided. I mean, coming from windows... Practical application of DOS died in windows after WIN2K so the dos prompt was just something i never really used with the exception of 'ipconfig'. So when i got into linux, staring at that black screen with a blinking Cursor was like a nightmare. Though i find myself doing things alot out of the command line nowadays.

-Mike Stern
 
Old 03-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #21
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,592
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy808 View Post
I just like Ubuntu because it's based off of Debian so it can run .deb files, and it just opens the installation in the ubuntu software center and so it omits the command line completely. But is that better?
That is exactly what I meant, there can be no consensus on likings. I for my self prefer Debian, and yes, one of the reasons for that is the excellent package management. But I don't have the Software Center or even Synaptic installed, I prefer the combination of apt-get, apt-cache and apt-file on CLI.

I haven't used Fedora for a long time, don't they have a graphical package management tool?
 
Old 03-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #22
eveningsky339
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Western Maine
Distribution: PCLinuxOS (LXDE)
Posts: 466

Rep: Reputation: 51
Not that the OP is going to see this, but there's little sense in asking on a forum when you can test the two in VirtualBox, or even two separate partitions on your hard disk.

What is your favorite desktop environment(s)? If it isn't GNOME, how do these distro's deal with "secondary" DE's?

Take a look at the package management system. Are you comfortable with it? Do you find it intuitive? Can you find most of what you need in the repositories?

Do you like to change your OS every six months to stay on top of things? Or do you stick with a certain version for longer if you're happy with it?

How are the communities behind these distro's? Are they supportive and friendly?

These are some of the larger things you need to consider while test driving any distributions you want to compare. A third party answer from an internet forum won't as much light as taking a look for yourself.
 
Old 06-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #23
fedix
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Mpumalanga, South Africa
Distribution: Fedora / CentOS 5 / Ubuntu
Posts: 100

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_kewpie View Post
any thread with "vs" in the title is onto a loser... Just pick the one you prefer. In terms of target audience, Ubuntu and Fedora are aimed at entirely different user bases, so should not be compared.
I hear what you say w.r.t. "vs" - distro's can rarely be compared. BUT, are you sure Ubuntu and Fedora are aimed at different users? What then are the different users of Ubunut and Fedora, roughly depicted? If I like Fedora, will Ubuntu not work for me?

Would like to hear your views...
 
Old 06-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #24
fedix
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Mpumalanga, South Africa
Distribution: Fedora / CentOS 5 / Ubuntu
Posts: 100

Rep: Reputation: 17
Good Article

Here's a informative good article on the one or the other...
 
Old 06-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #25
ronald.watson
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, CA USA
Distribution: FC6
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy808 View Post
Your probably right. that could probably also be compared to apt-get / aptitude, but i just mean as far as installing software outside of the supported repositories (because its a pretty daunting task for beginners (speaking from experience) to do things like edit the repositories list and stuff.). I just like Ubuntu because it's based off of Debian so it can run .deb files, and it just opens the installation in the ubuntu software center and so it omits the command line completely. But is that better?... I dont know. I just know that when i was making the switch over to linux, I felt that the big bad *COMMAND LINE*(Insert epic music here...) was something to be avoided. I mean, coming from windows... Practical application of DOS died in windows after WIN2K so the dos prompt was just something i never really used with the exception of 'ipconfig'. So when i got into linux, staring at that black screen with a blinking Cursor was like a nightmare. Though i find myself doing things alot out of the command line nowadays.

-Mike Stern

A few comments to correct some misunderstandings:

Comparing Ubuntu to Fedora is NOT like comparing apples to oranges. It's an apples to apples comparison, much like Granny Smith to Red Delicious to Fuji. They are called distros because they are variations of the same theme not something different altogether. Ubuntu to Windows would be more of an apples to oranges comparison, and Ubuntu to MacOS even less so because they are both UNIX-like (although MacOS is a certified UNIX).

You are incorrect in stating that .rpm packages are compiled. Binaries are compiled. Packages (.rpm or .deb) are two variations of the same thing and both can be installed from the command line or the GUI.

Even in Windows, the lowest level system management tasks are only available from the DOS window (CLI). This is also true with Ubuntu and Fedora as the paradigm for each of these OSes was ultimately borrowed from UNIX and Multics before that. You are incorrect in stating that practical application of DOS died after Win2K. The truth is that the Windows GUI was designed to handle most user oriented tasks, which was patterned after UNIX.
 
Old 11-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #26
bradlm5
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Cool 1st Timer

I'm very new at Linux but will be installing Fedora v12 this evening (burned the iso's yesterday) on an older Dell system just to learn shell scripting and taking a Perl online course. Could do the same with Ubuntu but prefer Fedora since where I work we are rolling out RHEL which gives me experience with rpms. I'm about to find out if one is better than the other for setting up my Wi-Fi, printer, and of course, does anything show up on the monitor. I have a lot to learn about Linux but one of my factors will be how simple it is to configure with my home peripherals.
 
Old 11-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #27
snowpine
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,915

Rep: Reputation: 1047Reputation: 1047Reputation: 1047Reputation: 1047Reputation: 1047Reputation: 1047Reputation: 1047Reputation: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradlm5 View Post
I'm very new at Linux but will be installing Fedora v12 this evening (burned the iso's yesterday) on an older Dell system just to learn shell scripting and taking a Perl online course. Could do the same with Ubuntu but prefer Fedora since where I work we are rolling out RHEL which gives me experience with rpms. I'm about to find out if one is better than the other for setting up my Wi-Fi, printer, and of course, does anything show up on the monitor. I have a lot to learn about Linux but one of my factors will be how simple it is to configure with my home peripherals.
Oh dear, Fedora 12 is quite dead and "end of life." Fedora 16 is the current release, available here: www.fedoraproject.org

I'd recommend CentOS if you're studying RHEL. It is almost exactly the same except it's free.
 
Old 11-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #28
memilanuk
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2010
Location: Washington state, USA
Distribution: Ubuntu among others
Posts: 66

Rep: Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
I'd recommend CentOS if you're studying RHEL. It is almost exactly the same except it's free.
Or Scientific Linux... free, very close clone of RHEL... little more 'open' group than CentOS.
 
Old 06-22-2012, 04:36 AM   #29
ianp5a
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Fedora 17

I've just been trying out Fedora 17 comparing it to my usual Ubuntu 12.04.

Conclusion: Quite Similar.
There are several differences that would make Ubuntu "appear" to me more user friendly. But that is mainly visual.
The Add/Remove programs seems to fall short of the Ubuntu software centre in clarity, performance, search success and it even failed to install an rpm. Let's hope other people have more success than me. And there is an update soon.
There is also the Gnome 3 vs Unity difference these days. With each having it's own quirks to get used to. Gnome 3 has the benefit of it's direct overview of all your applications, where the Unity dash needs lot of clicks.

Last edited by ianp5a; 06-22-2012 at 05:32 AM.
 
  


Reply

Tags
compare, fedora, ubuntu


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ubuntu vs fedora olracdor Linux - Newbie 6 12-07-2007 08:11 PM
Help: Ubuntu vs Fedora? LouArnold Linux - Newbie 12 11-18-2007 06:53 PM
Why Fedora over Ubuntu klarsin Fedora 25 12-01-2006 05:26 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration