After fiddling around with my system (like i always have to after a new driver release)
and using Mythos' tarball (from the 3.9.0 sticky at www.rage3d.com
) it finally works.
Here's what I did:
1. Get Ati's drivers at http://www.ati.com/
2. Enter the directory where you downloaded the drivers.
3. Install the ATI drivers with rpm -Uvh fglrx*.rpm
4. Get Mythos' tarball at http://homepages.pathfinder.gr/myth...regparm.tar.bz2
5. Enter directory where you downloaded the tarball
6. Follow his instructions on how to build the module:
a) tar -xjvf build_mod-3.9.0-regparm.tar.bz2
b) Get into build_mod-3.9.0-regparm
d) cp 2.6.x/fglrx.ko /lib/modules/2.6.4-54.5-default/kernel/drivers/char/drm (this copies the module to the right directory ...overwrite the existing)
7. depmod -a
8. sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx -b /usr/X11R6/lib/sax/profile/firegl
9. To Enable 3D support edit /etc/X11/XF86Config with your favorite editor and add
to Section "Module"
Instead of steps 8-9 you can of course run fglrxconfig. Although I have a KT 400 chipset I'm running the external AGP this time (as done beside other changes,by sax2 with step 8) and it works ok so far.
Best from Cologne