LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions
User Name
Password
Linux - Distributions This forum is for Distribution specific questions.
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Novell, LFS, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora - the list goes on and on... Note: An (*) indicates there is no official participation from that distribution here at LQ.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2007, 03:10 PM   #1
varaonaid
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 18

Rep: Reputation: 0
Sabayon or PCLinuxOS?


Hi there,

I still consider myself a Linux newbie though I currently triboot two linux distros and win2k. However, I'd like to try out a new distro and I'm trying to decide between Sabayon 3.4 and PCLinuxOS. The Sabayon LiveDVD has the best hardware support I've ever seen, finding and configuring my widescreen laptop lcd and my broadcom 43xx wireless flawlessly! It also supports brightness settings in kpowersave and even on the fn keys.

In contrast, PCLinuxOS livecd won't even boot for me. It can't find my screen at all and says that it doesn't exist.

I know that with tweaking, I can get PCLOS to work but I guess I was wanting your opinions on whether it's worth it? I see on distrowatch that PCLOS is currently wildly popular so I'd like your opinions. Given the great livedvd experience I've had, I'd probably install Sabayon and not think one more thing about it except that I'm a tiny bit nervous of its gentoo base. The distros I've used up until now have all used a deb package manager. Is it worth being scared of?

Let me know what you think. I look forward to hearing your opinions!!!

Thanks in advance.
 
Old 06-27-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
IndyGunFreak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Indpls
Distribution: Desktop- Debian Lenny, Laptops- Ubuntu 8.10, Debian Lenny UMPC- Ubuntu 8.10
Posts: 1,297

Rep: Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by varaonaid
Hi there,

I still consider myself a Linux newbie though I currently triboot two linux distros and win2k. However, I'd like to try out a new distro and I'm trying to decide between Sabayon 3.4 and PCLinuxOS. The Sabayon LiveDVD has the best hardware support I've ever seen, finding and configuring my widescreen laptop lcd and my broadcom 43xx wireless flawlessly! It also supports brightness settings in kpowersave and even on the fn keys.

In contrast, PCLinuxOS livecd won't even boot for me. It can't find my screen at all and says that it doesn't exist.

I know that with tweaking, I can get PCLOS to work but I guess I was wanting your opinions on whether it's worth it? I see on distrowatch that PCLOS is currently wildly popular so I'd like your opinions. Given the great livedvd experience I've had, I'd probably install Sabayon and not think one more thing about it except that I'm a tiny bit nervous of its gentoo base. The distros I've used up until now have all used a deb package manager. Is it worth being scared of?

Let me know what you think. I look forward to hearing your opinions!!!

Thanks in advance.
So PCLOS didn't "just work"? Strange....

Unless you're just wanting to see if you can get PCLOS to work, I'd go with Sabayon. It'll be work, but lets face it, if you can use Gentoo/Sabayon, you can probably use any distro.

Have you tried the *buntus?

IGF
 
Old 06-27-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
varaonaid
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 18

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi IndyGunFreak,

Yeah, I have tried the *buntus. Dapper, Edgy, Feisty in both the Gnome and KDE versions. I never got it to boot properly - any of them. However, Linux Mint and Mepis, both child distros of the *buntus both worked great. Each has little things that I'm sure I could work out but I can recommend both of those distros whole-heartedly.

I kinda like the whole bleeding edge thing which is what attracted me to Sabayon. I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying this but I was sort of looking for reasons to like PCLinuxOS. Some of the hype around it has me a bit put off and the fact that I can't even get it to boot isn't helping my opinion of it. But I've tried to have an open mind and see what it is everyone loves about it.

I'm working to save all my data as I need to repartition/format parts of my hdd. Then I think I might just go ahead and give Sabayon a go.

Thanks for taking the time to post! You're right. If I take the time to figure out a Gentoo based distro, I'll be pretty comfortable with linux.
 
Old 06-28-2007, 06:39 AM   #4
IndyGunFreak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Indpls
Distribution: Desktop- Debian Lenny, Laptops- Ubuntu 8.10, Debian Lenny UMPC- Ubuntu 8.10
Posts: 1,297

Rep: Reputation: 55
What do you mean wouldn't boot properly? The Live CD wouldn't boot? If thats the case(if you really want to try the *buntus), look at the Alternate Install CD Option on Ubuntus website.


IGF
 
Old 06-28-2007, 06:46 AM   #5
syg00
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Australia
Distribution: Lots ...
Posts: 12,127

Rep: Reputation: 986Reputation: 986Reputation: 986Reputation: 986Reputation: 986Reputation: 986Reputation: 986Reputation: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by varaonaid
The Sabayon LiveDVD has the best hardware support I've ever seen, finding and configuring my widescreen laptop lcd and my broadcom 43xx wireless flawlessly!
...
In contrast, PCLinuxOS livecd won't even boot for me.
One works, one doesn't.

So ....
 
Old 06-28-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
varaonaid
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 18

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak
What do you mean wouldn't boot properly? The Live CD wouldn't boot? If thats the case(if you really want to try the *buntus), look at the Alternate Install CD Option on Ubuntus website.


IGF
Yeah, the none of the *buntus livecd's ever booted for me - at all. I always got a string of errors. As I said, I tried Dapper, Edgy and Feisty in both gnome and kde versions. That's why I ended up using its child distros, Mepis and Mint. Didn't have trouble with those strangely!

Can you use the alternate install cd's as a livecd?
 
Old 06-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #7
varaonaid
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 18

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by syg00
One works, one doesn't.

So ....
You're right. I needed to hear that. It really is that simple...

I think my decision is made. Thanks!
 
Old 06-28-2007, 11:02 AM   #8
IndyGunFreak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Indpls
Distribution: Desktop- Debian Lenny, Laptops- Ubuntu 8.10, Debian Lenny UMPC- Ubuntu 8.10
Posts: 1,297

Rep: Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by varaonaid
Yeah, the none of the *buntus livecd's ever booted for me - at all. I always got a string of errors. As I said, I tried Dapper, Edgy and Feisty in both gnome and kde versions. That's why I ended up using its child distros, Mepis and Mint. Didn't have trouble with those strangely!

Can you use the alternate install cd's as a livecd?
No, the alternate Install CD is a text based installer. It is considered an "advanced" install option, but it will generally get you past any problems you may be having with the Live CD. Don't let the word "advanced" scare you, even though its text based, its still quite easy.

For instance, My PC, never boots live distros properly. I think its because I have dual monitors, because it was fine before I added the second monitor. For some reason, the second monitor hangs up every single live Distro. The Alternate Install CD, starts no problem. Then once the system is installed 1 monitor works. I install Nvidia drivers and configure xorg.conf to recognize the second monitor, restart, and my dual setup works fine.

My Laptop, will run some Live CDs(Mint, Ubuntu, and a select few others), but will not run the Xubuntu or Kubuntu Live CD. If I use the Alternate Install CD of those two, they install and work fine. Why my laptop is so picky, I really don't know. Neither of them will boot PCLOS. I used PCLOS about 2-3yrs ago on another PC, and frankly, I wasn't to big a fan of it.

Good luck

IGF

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 06-28-2007 at 11:07 AM.
 
Old 06-28-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
varaonaid
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 18

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Yeah, I've tried to convince myself about PCLOS but I've realized the main reason I keep looking back to it comes down to simple peer pressure. You wonder why it's so high on DistroWatch right now...

Anyway, thanks for replying. Based on your earlier recommendation, I downloaded Kubuntu Feisty once more to try out, just for kicks. I'll see if maybe I had a bad burn before...

Thanks again!
 
Old 06-28-2007, 06:03 PM   #10
IndyGunFreak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Indpls
Distribution: Desktop- Debian Lenny, Laptops- Ubuntu 8.10, Debian Lenny UMPC- Ubuntu 8.10
Posts: 1,297

Rep: Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by varaonaid
Yeah, I've tried to convince myself about PCLOS but I've realized the main reason I keep looking back to it comes down to simple peer pressure. You wonder why it's so high on DistroWatch right now...

Anyway, thanks for replying. Based on your earlier recommendation, I downloaded Kubuntu Feisty once more to try out, just for kicks. I'll see if maybe I had a bad burn before...

Thanks again!
I'm not a huge fan of KDE, but if you're a KDE fan, Kubuntu is a good distro. Did you download the alternate install CD?

IGF
 
Old 06-28-2007, 06:44 PM   #11
varaonaid
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 18

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Not yet, I'm trying the livecd first. If I like it, though, I'll try the alternate install cd to actually install it. Thanks!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sabayon vs. Mepis klarsin Linux - General 16 06-28-2011 01:21 PM
Sabayon Linux !!!! Darksurf Linux - Distributions 10 12-17-2006 07:37 PM
Sabayon 3.2 noonmid27 Linux - Newbie 1 11-17-2006 06:09 PM
sabayon 3.1 noonmid27 Linux - Newbie 0 11-11-2006 11:57 AM
Sabayon linux conanm4 Linux - Distributions 5 09-01-2006 09:00 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration