LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions
User Name
Password
Linux - Distributions This forum is for Distribution specific questions.
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Novell, LFS, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora - the list goes on and on... Note: An (*) indicates there is no official participation from that distribution here at LQ.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
gaikokujinkyofusho
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: different day, different place
Distribution: SuSE, considering Mint
Posts: 14

Rep: Reputation: 0
Recommended, live/Win-fix Linux distro?


Hi, I am looking for an all-in-one Linux distribution that has a “suite” of applications for fixing windows, if such a thing exits. I am aware of the various options for making your own USB/live customized version of XYZ distributions but I am feeling a bit lazy and don’t want to have to do that plus find/add all the necessary programs (things like Antivir for Linux [which can scan windows partitions], I have heard there are defrag, and uninstall programs Linux program for windows partition etc).

If there is such a distribution, or maybe a package of tools (or even a list of tools) I would really appreciate any input!

Cheers

-Gaiko
 
Old 04-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
linus72
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Gordonsville-AKA Mayberry-Virginia
Distribution: PocketWriter/MinimalX
Posts: 5,084

Rep: Reputation: 336Reputation: 336Reputation: 336Reputation: 336
go to http://multicd.tuxfamily.org/ and make a super DVD.

If you want something custom-ask me and we'll see-same for USB
 
Old 04-29-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
gaikokujinkyofusho
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: different day, different place
Distribution: SuSE, considering Mint
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
go to http://multicd.tuxfamily.org/ and make a super DVD.

If you want something custom-ask me and we'll see-same for USB
Hey thanks, thats a pretty nifty script. I will DL it and some distros and give it a try (I have a 256kbps connection so it will be a while).

Cheers

-Gaiko
 
Old 04-29-2009, 04:11 AM   #4
computerophil
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Austria
Distribution: Various: Puppy, Knoppix, Openmamba, Mandriva,......
Posts: 102

Rep: Reputation: 18
To analyse and fix problems in Windows there are many LiveCDs even Linuxes.
Some are spezialised on one or the other problem to solve, others not.
But as long as I know there doesn't exist a “suite” that does everything and best alone and automatically good looking and, and, and,...
The List is that long from testing the RAM, Partitioning, Partition or HDD cloning to AntiVirus,...
You should decide what you need. Just to demonstrate you how wide is the field I give you the List of service and rescue LiveCDs I know:

ULTIMATE BOOT CD
MTDVD
The Universal Bootdisk
Hiren's BootCD
Super MultiBoot for Newbie 9in1 Disc
avast! BART CD
BartPE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Windows based emergency
WinPE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Windows based emergency
VistaPE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Windows based emergency
Windows XPE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Windows based emergency
HawkPE-40 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Windows based emergency
STD - Security Tools Distribution
Emergency Boot Disk
Lamygo Boot CD 2009
Active@ Boot Disk
SystemRescueCd
RIPLinuX
Trinity Rescue Kit
PLD RescueCD
INSERT
Kaboot
Repairlix
Timo's Rescue CD Set
MiniKnoppix 2005
superrescue
Salvare
Emergency CD 3.0 GE
Memtest86 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . RAM-testing
Memtest86+ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . RAM-testing
GParted LiveCD . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . partitioning, formating
Parted Magic . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . partitioning, formating
Clonezilla Live . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Partition and HDD-Cloning (Backup)
Dr.Web LiveCD . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . AntiVirus
Knoppicillin . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . AntiVirus
BitDefender Rescue CD . . . . . . . . . . . . . . AntiVirus




Last edited by computerophil; 04-29-2009 at 11:16 AM.
 
Old 04-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #5
gaikokujinkyofusho
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: different day, different place
Distribution: SuSE, considering Mint
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerophil View Post
To analyse and fix problems in Windows there are many LiveCDs even Linuxes.
Some are spezialised on one or the other problem to solve, others not.
But as long as I know there doesn't exist a “suite” that does everything and best alone and automatically good looking and, and, and,...
The List is that long from testing the RAM, Partitioning, Partition or HDD cloning to AntiVirus,...
You should decide what you need. Just to demonstrate you how wide is the field I give you the List of service and rescue LiveCDs I know:

ULTIMATE BOOT CD
MTDVD
The Universal Bootdisk
Hiren's BootCD
Super MultiBoot for Newbie 9in1 Disc
avast! BART CD
BartPE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Windows based emergency
WinPE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Windows based emergency
VistaPE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Windows based emergency
Windows XPE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Windows based emergency
HawkPE-40 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Windows based emergency
STD - Security Tools Distribution
Emergency Boot Disk
Lamygo Boot CD 2009
Active@ Boot Disk
SystemRescueCd
RIPLinuX
Trinity Rescue Kit
PLD RescueCD
INSERT
Kaboot
Repairlix
Timo's Rescue CD Set
MiniKnoppix 2005
superrescue
Salvare
Emergency CD 3.0 GE
Memtest86 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . RAM-testing
Memtest86+ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . RAM-testing
GParted LiveCD . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . partitioning, formating
Parted Magic . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . partitioning, formating
Clonezilla Live . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Partition and HDD-Cloning (Backup)
Dr.Web LiveCD . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . AntiVirus
Knoppicillin . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . AntiVirus
BitDefender Rescue CD . . . . . . . . . . . . . . AntiVirus



Wow, thanks for the list, while not exactly what i was looking for (the suite you mentioned would be great of course but perhaps a bit unrealistic) this list will really help! (plus some of these distros with the script that linus72 mentioned could be close to having a suite repair disk.

Cheers

-Gaiko
 
Old 04-30-2009, 06:48 AM   #6
computerophil
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Location: Austria
Distribution: Various: Puppy, Knoppix, Openmamba, Mandriva,......
Posts: 102

Rep: Reputation: 18
The thing is you have to know what you want to do.
Many of these LiveCDs can do several things and I thing for average Problems you could choose blind one of these and will find help (if you can handle the tools).
But the field of solving Problems is to large: Forgotten Passwords are not the same as full of Viruses. Detect Hardware to find the right drivers is another Problem than shifting Data's to a newer Computer and so on.
If you can handle ghost and Partition Magic it will help you finding it in a suite. As these are Dos-based it will not be a Linuxdistribution. You want to repair Windows but the tool you asked should be Linux? Sometmes it is better a Preinstallenvironment PE becouse driver detections work better.

Your Question says that you are blue-eyed: You don't know what should be done but it should be done.

Take RIP-Linux (Repair is possible)
superrescue (Knoppix-based) or
STD - Security Tools Distribution (Knoppix-based)
and try if these are what you are seeking for
 
Old 04-30-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
linus72
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Gordonsville-AKA Mayberry-Virginia
Distribution: PocketWriter/MinimalX
Posts: 5,084

Rep: Reputation: 336Reputation: 336Reputation: 336Reputation: 336
I got a Suite of those distro's for CD, and USB version uploading now
Ultimate-Linux-ToolKit-v4.21
it has all these
UltimateBootCD-50b12,
SystemRescueCD-1.1.7,
RIPLinux-8.2,
INSERT-1.3.9,
PMagicLive,
NetbootCD-3.0,
ZorOS-3.4,
PlopBootManager,
SuperGrubDisk,
NT-Password,
and Tinycore-1.4!
All on 700MB CD!
Also has a new submenu system!
and ultimatebootcd 50b12 has antivirus stuff and lots more
and my multidistro's maintain the integrity of the original distro
Meaning multicd.sh removes folders/files that are part of the original distro-stuff the script sees as unnecessary
I try hard to keep all the files/folders for each distro and it's
contents intact, and my stuff can go on usb and I have distro's multicd.sh doesn't have.
Not slighting multicd.sh, it's a great script, but to me USB is better than CD if you have a pc that can boot from usb or a flopppy drive, then boot usb.

Last edited by linus72; 04-30-2009 at 07:09 AM.
 
Old 05-01-2009, 01:24 AM   #8
gaikokujinkyofusho
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: different day, different place
Distribution: SuSE, considering Mint
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerophil View Post
The thing is you have to know what you want to do.
Many of these LiveCDs can do several things and I thing for average Problems you could choose blind one of these and will find help (if you can handle the tools).
But the field of solving Problems is to large: Forgotten Passwords are not the same as full of Viruses. Detect Hardware to find the right drivers is another Problem than shifting Data's to a newer Computer and so on.
If you can handle ghost and Partition Magic it will help you finding it in a suite. As these are Dos-based it will not be a Linuxdistribution. You want to repair Windows but the tool you asked should be Linux? Sometmes it is better a Preinstallenvironment PE becouse driver detections work better.

Your Question says that you are blue-eyed: You don't know what should be done but it should be done.

Take RIP-Linux (Repair is possible)
superrescue (Knoppix-based) or
STD - Security Tools Distribution (Knoppix-based)
and try if these are what you are seeking for
Hi Computerophil,

I am not sure what being blue-eyed means but you are right in that i am looking for a multipurpose windows-fix-it distro and not something too specialised (like just for partitioning).

While having "everything" in a distro might be a bit unrealistic, linux utility applications usually aren't all that big and while i prefer graphical setups i started out on a unix prompt (HPUX back in the day) so commandline programs are ok too.

I appriciate your and linus72's distro suggestions and will give them a look but to give you guys an idea of the types of utilities i am looknig for (if they exist) are:
For windows:
* windows driver backup
* image backup (any distro can do this piping dd output through gzip but a gui would be nice)
* defragging
* registery cleanup/repair'
* filesystem repair (already in most distros, but again a gui frontend would be nice)
* malware/rootkit/antivirus/spyware detection & removal
* perhaps something like a script that can implement a few changes like xpy/tweakui
* DVD burning software (for making backups of images)
* win start-up editor (like autoruns?)
* cleanup (tmp files etc, like ccleaner?)

something like that, i have seen a few linux utils that will do that and none of them were particularly big.

Anywho i will try out some of your and linus72's suggestions. Thanks for your input!!

Cheers

-Gaiko
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
asking for recommended distro !! michaa808 Linux - General 4 03-08-2009 11:37 AM
What distro would be recommended for me? Trako Linux - General 5 02-05-2008 07:22 PM
Recommended Partition Config for Win/Linux tarwood Linux - Newbie 16 07-17-2005 01:36 AM
Lilo just broke, how do i fix with a live distro? e1000 General 1 08-01-2004 08:50 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration