LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Distributions (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-distributions-5/)
-   -   Please suggest to me a decent distro. (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-distributions-5/please-suggest-to-me-a-decent-distro-512108/)

WDSnav 12-19-2006 09:50 PM

Please suggest to me a decent distro.
 
I have already tried the following distros and I do not like them:
Suse 10.1
OpenSuse 10.2
Ubuntu 6.10

Suse does not work with my sound card and it is to difficult to use, and ubuntu does not support crap, it doesn't support ati driver, rpm files, and I especially dispise it. I need a distro that works for the following drives and is still easy to use:
ATI Radeon X300
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 24-Bit (Internal)
I do not care about the size of the distributions or what their requirements are as this is not an old computer, it is fairly new. Thank you for your suggestions.

mike10 12-19-2006 09:53 PM

have you taken a look at distrowatch.com

rickh 12-19-2006 09:54 PM

Any distro will support that hardware ... certainly the ones you mention. Address the specific problem, looking for magic will not work.

jacook 12-19-2006 10:24 PM

Firstly try these Distro Choosers,

http://eedok.voidofmind.com/linux/chooser.html
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

here are a few personal Reccomendations:

Kubuntu
http://www.kubuntu.org/

PCLinuxOS .92
http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/dist...glish/preview/
ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distr...glish/preview/

This is the distro I use and recommend, Why because it works right out of the box. No need to configure Everything, everything just works. It also comes as a 1 CD install that is a live CD that you can install later if you wish.

BeatrIX
http://www.watsky.net/download.html

Mephis
http://www.mepis.org/

Hope this helps you out,

Jake

rickh 12-19-2006 10:47 PM

Quote:

try these Distro Choosers,

http://eedok.voidofmind.com/linux/chooser.html
Unfortunately, that one, my favorite, is now a broken link. If anyone can get a new one, I'd be happy.

IndyGunFreak 12-20-2006 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDSnav
I have already tried the following distros and I do not like them:
Suse 10.1
OpenSuse 10.2
Ubuntu 6.10

Suse does not work with my sound card and it is to difficult to use, and ubuntu does not support crap, it doesn't support ati driver, rpm files, and I especially dispise it. I need a distro that works for the following drives and is still easy to use:
ATI Radeon X300
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 24-Bit (Internal)
I do not care about the size of the distributions or what their requirements are as this is not an old computer, it is fairly new. Thank you for your suggestions.

What was wrong with Ubuntu... Ubuntu doesn't need to support RPM files, it uses deb files. However, if you're adamant about using RPM files, there's a program called Alien, that will translate any RPM, into a Deb file for Ubuntu. Its in the repositories, and would take little effort to install. 99% of the apps you'll want/need, are in the Repositories, or you can add a repository, which means it requires about 4 mouse clicks to install a program. It doesn't get much easier than that. I use an 256nb ATI 9550 at my preferred resolution of 1280x1024, and it looks awesome, no problem at all. Its the only version I've gotten all my hardware to work(camera, external drives, TV Tuner, etc..).

Ubuntu might be the most popular distro there is, all those people can't be wrong. http://distrowatch.com/ Address whatever problem you're having instead of hopping around from distro to distro (although I freely admit I was guilty of that in the past, I think we all were if we're honest)

If you weren't happy with Ubuntu, I guess my next suggestion would be Fedora Core 6. I personally hate the commercial versions of Linux(Mandriva, Suse, Linspire). One commercial version that is pretty good is Xandros. There's a free version out there somewhere, but dont know a lot about it. The old version of PCLinuxOS was great(.91 i think), the new one, I couldn't get my sound or internet connection work after 4 days and gave up.

It all comes down to your hardware

IGF

WDSnav 12-20-2006 03:55 PM

Arrrg see this stuff confuses me, "Repositories" Never heard of that word and my life and don't know how to use it. So can you please explain how I can translate rpm to deb files and get my ATI driver working in a newbie way?

rickh 12-20-2006 05:25 PM

Quote:

...this stuff confuses me, "Repositories" Never heard of that word ... please explain how I can translate rpm to deb files and get my ATI driver working in a newbie way?
Nobody can wave a wand over you and magically transplant this stuff into your mind. I can't imagine any reason for translating .rpm files to .deb files to install an ati driver. I'm sure the ati .deb files are in Ubuntus repositories.

Ubuntu has excellent and thorough documentation on its website, and my suggestion is that you study it at least enough to figure out what a repository is.

IndyGunFreak 12-20-2006 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDSnav
Arrrg see this stuff confuses me, "Repositories" Never heard of that word and my life and don't know how to use it. So can you please explain how I can translate rpm to deb files and get my ATI driver working in a newbie way?

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Edgy - First, COMPLETELY READ AND REREAD that wiki. 90% of your questions will be answered by it(at least mine are)

Repository(definition)... A place where things are or may be reposited, or laid up, for safety or preservation, a depository.

Basically, a repository is where many, many Ubuntu ready packages are stored, and you install them with a few clicks.

No offense, but if you immediately blasted Ubuntu, w/o really even understanding what a repository is, then the problem is you, not Ubuntu. I agree also, very very rarely is it necessary to use alien on an RPM file, and ATI's driver is not one of those rare occasions.

IGF


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 AM.