Linux - DistributionsThis forum is for Distribution specific questions.
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Novell, LFS, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora - the list goes on and on...
Note: An (*) indicates there is no official participation from that distribution here at LQ.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
I was looking for a Linux distribution for 2 machines:
- An old desktop with 900Mhz duron 368Mb ram and sys integrated graphics
- And a notebook with celeron 1.8Ghz 512Mb ram intel graphics
The use of these machines is pretty simple and as there is low ram on both I tought of going for lxde, since it's light and simple. But I can't decide which distro I should use.
It needs this:
- Good support for actual notebook hardware (second pc)
- Low maintenance : These pcs are not mine, they are some friend's pcs I was asked to put linux on. So I don't want to go troubleshooting after every update
- Stable(for same reason as above)
- Fast (I guess any distro with lxde will suffice my definition of fast here)
I can't decide between OpenSuse and PclinuxOS.(any other good distro which fulfills above statements?)
I've used OpenSuse before and it is certanly a trouble-free, low maintenance distro which also has good notebook support and rather recent kernel. But I tested it with kde and I don't know how polished lxde is in there.
PclinuxOS seems even more stable and is well integrated with lxde (I'm on the live cd right know and it's great!) I've read that it has well tested small updates, which sounds like no problems in near future even if I leave that pc with them for a long long time. But I'm not really used to this distro so I don't know whick problems it may have.
I can't decide so if you know anything about these distro, please help.
PD: Sorry if my english is bad.
Last edited by damipereira; 02-16-2010 at 12:52 AM.