LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Distributions (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-distributions-5/)
-   -   Looking for a distro specific for my needs (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-distributions-5/looking-for-a-distro-specific-for-my-needs-4175487977/)

Hylobates 12-14-2013 06:37 PM

Looking for a distro specific for my needs
 
Greetings,

I've been trying some distros lately but still haven't found one that suits me. What I like is an aesthetically pleasing look, with nice animations and customizations (like elemental os). But, what I need most is a distro where firefox tabs are stuck on the top of my screen. I use a lot of tabs at the same time, and just moving my mouse up without actually looking to select a tab is a huge requirement for me. It would also be nice to find a distro where I don't need to actively search for the close button with my mouse (opposed to windows where I just need to move in the upper right corner with my mouse to close a program).

Can anyone help me here or does such a distro not exist?

ondoho 12-14-2013 07:28 PM

distrowatch.com/search.php

frankbell 12-14-2013 09:11 PM

Where the Firefox tabs are would be a Firefox thing, independent of the distro.

In all my Firefox instances, the tabs are at the top of the browser window; what exactly do you mean by "at the top"--at the top of the application window, the absolute top of the screen, or what?

Where the close/minimize/maximize buttons are is a function of the window manager/desktop environment (the "window decorations"), also independent of the distro (except for something like Unity, which is closely tied to a specific distro).

Perhaps what you are looking for is a not a distro, but rather a window manager/desktop environment that meets your requirements.

jamison20000e 12-14-2013 09:43 PM

Hi,free to try. Check my signature... :)

Randicus Draco Albus 12-14-2013 10:03 PM

frankbell is correct that your preferences seem GUI-related, as opposed to OS-related.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hylobates (Post 5080803)
What I like is an aesthetically pleasing look, with nice animations and customizations

I suggest trying KDE. A wonderfully bloated GUI with a plethora of bells and whistles. I hate such GUIs, but it might be what you are looking for.

Hylobates 12-15-2013 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondoho (Post 5080818)

Thanks, will give it a look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbell (Post 5080848)
Where the Firefox tabs are would be a Firefox thing, independent of the distro.

In all my Firefox instances, the tabs are at the top of the browser window; what exactly do you mean by "at the top"--at the top of the application window, the absolute top of the screen, or what?

Where the close/minimize/maximize buttons are is a function of the window manager/desktop environment (the "window decorations"), also independent of the distro (except for something like Unity, which is closely tied to a specific distro).

Perhaps what you are looking for is a not a distro, but rather a window manager/desktop environment that meets your requirements.

Ha well I mean at the very top of the screen. When a distro has a standard menu bar at the top of the screen, it's hard for firefox or any other browser to have tabs on top of the screen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamison20000e (Post 5080861)
Hi,free to try. Check my sig... :)

I'm not quite sure what distribution you are referring to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randicus Draco Albus (Post 5080866)
frankbell is correct that your preferences seem GUI-related, as opposed to OS-related.


I suggest trying KDE. A wonderfully bloated GUI with a plethora of bells and whistles. I hate such GUIs, but it might be what you are looking for.

Well, I don't like the overload of bells and whistles. I just like beautiful simplicity, but functional. That's why I mentioned elementary os, but that also has a menu bar on top which prevents me to work optimally.

Let me ask another question. Do you people actively point at the tab? I just shoot my mouse up, without fearing it wouldn't hit the target.

ondoho 12-15-2013 04:57 AM

i have a penguin on the top of my screen.
sometimes i shoot up at it with the mouse.

snowpine 12-15-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hylobates (Post 5080924)
Ha well I mean at the very top of the screen. When a distro has a standard menu bar at the top of the screen, it's hard for firefox or any other browser to have tabs on top of the screen.

In most distros, if you press F11, Firefox will cover your standard menu bar and fill the screen. :)

jamison20000e 12-15-2013 09:32 AM

Sorry that was the first time I've ever tried to use sig to mean signature, knew I shouldn't. :redface:

DavidMcCann 12-15-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hylobates (Post 5080924)
Ha well I mean at the very top of the screen. When a distro has a standard menu bar at the top of the screen, it's hard for firefox or any other browser to have tabs on top of the screen.

You can move the desktop's panel (unless it's Ubuntu). Mine lives at the side:
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8290/1am8.png

frankbell 12-15-2013 11:40 AM

I had a "Doh!" moment.

There are a hundreds of Firefox add-ons regarding tabs. I found one that will put the tabs on the top of the application window.

I haven't tested it (I seldom use Firefox), but looking for add-ons be part of the solution to your needs.

frankbell 12-15-2013 04:21 PM

Hylobates, check out Pear Linux. It's a visibly attractive Ubuntu-based distro that might have the button behavior that you are looking for out-of-the-box.

I don't use it, but I have it installed in VirtualBox and just fired it up to refresh my memory.

jamison20000e 12-15-2013 04:26 PM

An easy way to build your own and looks up is netinst (no DE you choose) for even more control and learning LFS. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 PM.