LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Distributions (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-distributions-5/)
-   -   Is there any distro with pre-installed wine and some windows software like MSWord2010 (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-distributions-5/is-there-any-distro-with-pre-installed-wine-and-some-windows-software-like-msword2010-4175463273/)

Roben 05-24-2013 03:30 AM

Is there any distro with pre-installed wine and some windows software like MSWord2010
 
I'm curious to know is there any linux distribution sepecified for Windows users? So that applications as in "Microsoft Office 2010/2013" on it from the beginning.

Nikosis 05-24-2013 03:51 AM

There is no Linux distro with msoffice in it. There is win emulator called Wine, and there are quite a few win programs that can be used under Linux but I don't think msoffice is one of them, but why would you need ms office where you can have LibreOffice or OpenOffice.

TommyC7 05-24-2013 03:59 AM

As far as I know that would require

1. Purchasing Microsoft Office 2010/2013
2. wine so that you can use Microsoft Office

There are however some distributions that ship with Libre/OpenOffice.

Roben 05-24-2013 04:32 AM

I'm using linux for years! and I use libreOffice :)
I want a linux with windows software on it for my students that all of them use MS goods.
they're child and It is difficult to explain them and their parents that what is free software and why they should use the libre office with menus like 10 years ago, instead of MS applications! I tried to install MS Office 2010 and 2013 on Wine to remaster mine for them => Failed to install! I thought maybe there is a distribution ready with preinstalled microsoft office applications!

Note: we doen't need to MS licenses, users can enter the license key themselves.

dugan 05-29-2013 06:55 PM

To answer your question, there is no distro that ships with any version of MS Office and there never will be.

Quote:

I want a linux with windows software on it for my students that all of them use MS goods.
they're child and It is difficult to explain them and their parents that what is free software and why they should use the libre office with menus like 10 years ago, instead of MS applications!

Note: we doen't need to MS licenses, users can enter the license key themselve
Well, then it should be extremely easy to explain to their parents why you switched to LibreOffice. It save them from having to purchase an MS Office license at great personal expense simply because your class requires them to have one and to bring one in!

The alternative scenario, of course, is that you're assuming that the users will enter pirated keys. But that's obviously not what's happening here. ;)

jefro 05-29-2013 08:01 PM

Linux can't replace Windows or Mac. Linux has it's uses but using it to run MS products is only a patch or workaround.

Most of the top linux versions can easily add in wine if not included. Same goes for playonlinux or CrossOver Office's product.

Some educational versions of MS products can be obtained for little to no cost but they still might require a key.

From my experience, trying to educate people to use linux is a waste of time. Most computer users don't want to know anything about it, just how it looks.

jlinkels 05-29-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roben (Post 4957885)
I want a linux with windows software on it for my students that all of them use MS goods.

So they should buy Windows and buy all the associated software.

People want the Linux stability and Linux price and only care if there is a ribbon on top of their Window or a regular, workable menubar. So they want Windows after all.

I understand what you say, and 5 years ago I would acted the same as you. It has been useless. People want the Windows goodies, they get them. Including license costs, viruses, forced upgrades, 6 monthly re-installs and 60% resources being used by the virus scanner. When I push Linux, it cost me effort and gets me bitching. When I deliver Windows according to the customer's wish I get appreciation and I make money.

jlinkels

schneidz 05-29-2013 11:14 PM

the obvious reason why such a distro couldnt exist is because microsoft office requires a purchase from a store.

it would be like asking if a version of linux can be distibuted with a cracked blu-ray rip of 'lord of the rings' trilogy + 'hobbit' already on the hard drive.

davidwillis 05-30-2013 09:45 AM

You could always use the cloud version of microsoft office, which should work with any version of linux.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/

Roben 06-20-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidwillis (Post 4962090)
You could always use the cloud version of microsoft office, which should work with any version of linux.http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/

Valuable; I'll examine them by cloud stuffs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dugan (Post 4961690)
Well, then it should be extremely easy to explain to their parents why you switched to LibreOffice. It save them from having to purchase an MS Office license at great personal expense simply because your class requires them to have one and to bring one in!

They will laugh at me!
Why they should be concerned about price of applications license, When their cars are Lamborghini, Mercedes and Porsche?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidwillis (Post 4962090)
The alternative scenario, of course, is that you're assuming that the users will enter pirated keys. But that's obviously not what's happening here. ;)

I didn't say `pirated keys`. What I meant was that students can purchase the license to use it to activate Microsoft Office which is pre-installed on the distro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefro (Post 4961720)
Linux can't replace Windows or Mac. Linux has it's uses but using it to run MS products is only a patch or workaround.

Most of the top linux versions can easily add in wine if not included. Same goes for playonlinux or CrossOver Office's product.

However I'm trying to use VirtualBox in seamless mode accompanied by a windows 7. I am trying to see whether VirtualBox will be run from boot stage or not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefro (Post 4961720)
From my experience, trying to educate people to use linux is a waste of time. Most computer users don't want to know anything about it, just how it looks.

I don't want to say them "please use linkx, it's more safe, etc."
My student use windows software, it is not important where they are using them: on mac or windows or bsd or linux, etc. What is important for them to be able to work with Microsoft applications, because they are accustomed to those apps from childhood.
I assume Microsoft's products on Linux can help them gradually become familiar with the capabilities of Linux. Especially when they see that do not need antivirus, etc. So when they are older, Linux would not be a monster for them!
Step by step, they should be separated from Microsoft. First step, IMHO, is using Microsoft office on linux.

Timothy Miller 06-20-2013 01:43 PM

IMO, if someone wants to run M$ software, run it on windows. Just not worth the hassle.

XavierP 06-21-2013 03:33 AM

Under Wine, Office has always been a bit hit and miss: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ication&iId=31

The installer seems to work, but there is no real data there on the suite itself.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 PM.