LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions
User Name
Password
Linux - Distributions This forum is for Distribution specific questions.
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Novell, LFS, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora - the list goes on and on... Note: An (*) indicates there is no official participation from that distribution here at LQ.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2009, 07:17 AM   #1
alkanetexe
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: 0
Creating Live CD for Linux Mint XFCE version


I couldn't decide whether this should go under new, or software, or the distro forums... but I finally decided on these.

I'm trying to create a live CD for Linux Mint Xfce edition, and I'm totally new to the idea of installing Linux. I've used Mandriva and Xubuntu before, though. Anyways, I'm using a Nero software package that came with my Acer Aspire One netbook to burn the discs, and my question, after all that, is what exactly needs to be on the CD? Like, in the ISO file? I got the one from their website.
 
Old 01-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
IndyGunFreak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Indpls
Distribution: Desktop- Debian Lenny, Laptops- Ubuntu 8.10, Debian Lenny UMPC- Ubuntu 8.10
Posts: 1,297

Rep: Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkanetexe View Post
I couldn't decide whether this should go under new, or software, or the distro forums... but I finally decided on these.

I'm trying to create a live CD for Linux Mint Xfce edition, and I'm totally new to the idea of installing Linux. I've used Mandriva and Xubuntu before, though. Anyways, I'm using a Nero software package that came with my Acer Aspire One netbook to burn the discs, and my question, after all that, is what exactly needs to be on the CD? Like, in the ISO file? I got the one from their website.
It may not directly correlate to the software you're using, but it will give you the idea, and if it doesn't, it offers some free software that can be downloaded and used to burn the image.

http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm
 
Old 01-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
alkanetexe
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
It may not directly correlate to the software you're using, but it will give you the idea, and if it doesn't, it offers some free software that can be downloaded and used to burn the image.

http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm
I shall check that out when I get home, but I was mainly asking about the iso. I made a disk, but both of the computers I tried completely ignored the disc, even after I changed the boot priority...
 
Old 01-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
IndyGunFreak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Indpls
Distribution: Desktop- Debian Lenny, Laptops- Ubuntu 8.10, Debian Lenny UMPC- Ubuntu 8.10
Posts: 1,297

Rep: Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkanetexe View Post
I shall check that out when I get home, but I was mainly asking about the iso. I made a disk, but both of the computers I tried completely ignored the disc, even after I changed the boot priority...
Then there's a pretty good chance, you didn't make the disk properly. It has to be burned to the disk as an image. I don't know what version of Nero you have, but you can google that version and "burning ISO" or something to that effect, and likely find the instructions. ISO images have to be burned a bit different than just normal data.

IGF
 
Old 01-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
alkanetexe
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
ISO images have to be burned a bit different than just normal data.
Graah! I wish I would've known that earlier ;-; That information definitely helps.

I will look up instructions for burning ISOs and see if that helps.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT!For future reference, I have Nero 7 and was using Nero Express Essentials.

EDIT2! A friend of mine pointed me to InfraRecorder, which has an explicitly stated ISO Image writing mode. I tried that and it still didn't work, so now I'm downloading the image from another source to see if THAT works... groan...

EDIT3! Okay, so the same friend who pointed me to InfraRecorder convinced me to try the Gnome version, and go figure, it works. But it works on my desktop PC. My laptop is too small for its own good, and thus I have to use a USB CD/DVD-EVERYTHING drive. But for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to be working...

Last edited by alkanetexe; 01-15-2009 at 08:57 PM.
 
Old 01-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
IndyGunFreak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Indpls
Distribution: Desktop- Debian Lenny, Laptops- Ubuntu 8.10, Debian Lenny UMPC- Ubuntu 8.10
Posts: 1,297

Rep: Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkanetexe View Post
Graah! I wish I would've known that earlier ;-; That information definitely helps.

I will look up instructions for burning ISOs and see if that helps.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT!For future reference, I have Nero 7 and was using Nero Express Essentials.

EDIT2! A friend of mine pointed me to InfraRecorder, which has an explicitly stated ISO Image writing mode. I tried that and it still didn't work, so now I'm downloading the image from another source to see if THAT works... groan...

EDIT3! Okay, so the same friend who pointed me to InfraRecorder convinced me to try the Gnome version, and go figure, it works. But it works on my desktop PC. My laptop is too small for its own good, and thus I have to use a USB CD/DVD-EVERYTHING drive. But for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to be working...
Did your Xfce Mint disk boot on the Main PC? If it does, then this indicates a problem w/ the laptop. Does it boot a USB device? I'm assuming it does, since you mentioned a USB CD/DVD drive. If your laptop is not capable of booting a USB device, that could be part of the problem.

Download the ISO of your choice, then use unetbootin to setup a thumb drive to boot. (Mint, it will probablyneed to be at least 1gig)... Unetbootin is pretty easy to use for setting up bootable USB devices. Could also be, you just downloaded a bad ISO.. Maybe try downloading from another source.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 01-16-2009 at 09:40 AM.
 
  


Reply

Tags
burning, iso, linux, mint, xfce


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Root Login On Linux Mint Live toolesk Linux - Distributions 9 04-25-2010 08:38 PM
Linux Mint live CD boot problem. tzag Linux - General 3 02-22-2008 11:42 AM
Linux Mint XFCE Wireless Issue manaburn Linux - Wireless Networking 5 02-21-2008 02:30 PM
LXer: Creating Your Own Custom Ubuntu 7.10 Or Linux Mint 4.0 Live-CD With Remastersys LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 12-04-2007 04:40 PM
LXer: Linux Mint issues second KDE version test LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-18-2007 06:31 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration