I went and got the "vanilla" kernel, i.e., the official source tree for 2.4.20, went to kolivas' page and got the ck5 patch, and after 5 or 6 recompilations (most because of poor config choices) I now have sound, USB mouse and a fully preemptible kernel! This patch is great, I can do heavy load tasks and XMMS NEVER... and I do mean NEVER skips the sound. Amazing. This was the main reason for trying out the 2.5 kernel, but Kolivas was kind enough to backport it to 2.4 .
Procedure, step by step :
1. Get the official 2.4.20 source tree from ftp.kernel.org or some other spot
2. Bunzip it into /usr/src/ . The directory with the version number will be created, meaning
/usr/src # tar -jxvf kernel-2.4.20.tar.bz2
3. Get the ck5 patch from http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckoli...4.20.patch.bz2
4. Bunzip it in the source directory for 2.4.20, meaning
/usr/src/linux-2.4.20 # bunzip2 ck5_2.4.20.patch.bz2
5. Apply the patch
/usr/src/linux-2.4.20 # patch -p1 < ck5_2.4.20.patch
6. make menuconfig and set the options (REMEMBER to set the "pre-emptible kernel" options)
7. make dep clean bzImage modules modules_install
8. copy /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot and copy /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/System.map to /boot too
9. configure LILO or GRUB
10. reboot! enjoy!
If you need help, I can send you my kernel configurations file with all the options set correctly to support Trident's board. Hey, I wasted a whole night, no need for someone else to waste it too!
Have fun! I know I'm having! LOL
PS - Linux SO rox