LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Distributions (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-distributions-5/)
-   -   A few programs on Chakra (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-distributions-5/a-few-programs-on-chakra-4175464309/)

Timothy Miller 05-31-2013 11:18 PM

A few programs on Chakra
 
For the most part, installed the latest Chakra and have it set up the way I like. However, is there any way to install shutter and asunder? Also, any way to get google chrome? I don't want Chromium as I want the embedded flash player.

Thanks.

Timothy Miller 05-31-2013 11:23 PM

Okay, ignore the chrome, I see that this chromium build does have libpepper in it. So that's not an issue.

Timothy Miller 06-01-2013 12:48 AM

Another question, where in the world is the Firefox plugins? I installed the flashplugin package, but flash still doesn't work in Firefox, so I'm trying to manually install it, but I cannot find the plugins folder (global, not for my user)for the life of me.

Timothy Miller 06-01-2013 10:39 PM

OK, found a pkgbuild of asunder on the CCR, so getting closer...

m.a.l.'s pa 06-02-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy Miller (Post 4963203)
For the most part, installed the latest Chakra and have it set up the way I like. However, is there any way to install shutter and asunder? Also, any way to get google chrome? I don't want Chromium as I want the embedded flash player.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy Miller (Post 4963815)
OK, found a pkgbuild of asunder on the CCR, so getting closer...

Lol, didn't even get to reply before you found it (asunder). But I don't see shutter anywhere when I search for packages at the Chakra site.

Timothy Miller 06-02-2013 12:33 AM

yeah, I found a packaging request where they basically said not going to happen. Which is too bad, as it's not a bad OS, but I take too many screenshots that I NEED to be able to include menus, and nothing works that I've found. Ksnapshot simply removes any open menus. Kaption (from CCR) the same. Crot (from CCR) you can do it with a delay, BUT only if you do fullscreen, no way to specify just a window. Deepin-scrot (from CCR) doesn't do anything, has an IO error and won't launch. Screengrabber (from CCR) will do it, but you have to use the gui to capture, you can't set a delay when launching it via CLI, which means you also can't do it when setting up prntscrn to launch screengrab.

m.a.l.'s pa 06-02-2013 12:49 AM

As I commented at the Chakra forums, I can get screenshots with menus using Ksnapshot. Not sure if we're talking about the same scenarios, but I can do it a couple of different ways, at least.

m.a.l.'s pa 06-02-2013 12:58 AM

But in any case, I can see where Shutter would be better...

Timothy Miller 06-02-2013 01:02 AM

Yeah, I only want to capture a window, not a full screen. Although when I was testing it on here, it wasn't even capturing them when I did full screen. If ANYTHING was available that worked, I'd be fine, I just know shutter the best. But the more I look, the more it looks like I simply won't be able to use Chakra because this is something I do too much to be without.

m.a.l.'s pa 06-02-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy Miller (Post 4963857)
Yeah, I only want to capture a window, not a full screen. Although when I was testing it on here, it wasn't even capturing them when I did full screen. If ANYTHING was available that worked, I'd be fine, I just know shutter the best. But the more I look, the more it looks like I simply won't be able to use Chakra because this is something I do too much to be without.

There are two ways I accomplish this with Ksnapshot. One, use Full Screen capture mode and then crop the image with another app. Two, use Rectangular Region capture mode and just draw the region around the window in question. Either way allows me to capture the menus, though.

Timothy Miller 06-02-2013 01:13 AM

Yeah, cropping is more work than I want to do. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if anyone posts any other apps that might work. I don't use this machine that often, so I'll just leave Chakra on it for a while and just not use it until I give up being able to do it on there. Thanks for looking though!

m.a.l.'s pa 06-02-2013 01:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
An example of the latter approach, but this is in Kubuntu. Quite simple, just draw the region around the application window.

Timothy Miller 06-02-2013 01:27 AM

I didn't try doing a selection, let me try that really quick.

Nope, I bind prntscrn to ksnapshot --region, but as SOON as I press the prntscrn button, any open menus disappear and the crosshairs come up.

m.a.l.'s pa 06-02-2013 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy Miller (Post 4963870)
I didn't try doing a selection, let me try that really quick.

Nope, I bind prntscrn to ksnapshot --region, but as SOON as I press the prntscrn button, any open menus disappear and the crosshairs come up.

OK, well, I guess it doesn't work with the prntscrn button, then. Haven't tried that before. But as you can see from my screen shot, you can still capture windows with the menus using KSnapshot quite easily. I've been doing this for a long time, using KSnapshot. I guess I never knew what I was missing because I haven't used Shutter. :)

Timothy Miller 06-02-2013 01:58 AM

I just found shutter maybe 18 months ago. I had always did most of this stuff in windows still with snagit because of the lack of a good screenshot program, using various linux distros for everything else. But after finding shutter, the only thing I still boot into Windows for is when I feel the need to take some star destroyers and crush the rebel scum. I generally have 20-30 updates because of the infrequency of booting to Windows anymore. This machine I'm on doesn't even have Windows anymore, it's 100% linux.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 PM.