LinuxQuestions.org
Visit the LQ Articles and Editorials section
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
tarobs
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 12

Rep: Reputation: 0
.WMV playback plays sounds but no Video on Ubuntu


Hi, I'm just a relatively new user of Ubuntu. I installed Mplayer on my computer. When I tried to play .WMV files, it just plays the sounds of the clip, but the video doesn't show up. There is an error message shown when I play a .wmv file:

Cannot Find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x33564D57

Can anyone help me? What should I do?
 
Old 08-26-2006, 10:10 PM   #2
jens
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Debian, Slackware, Fedora
Posts: 1,193

Rep: Reputation: 159Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarobs
Hi, I'm just a relatively new user of Ubuntu. I installed Mplayer on my computer. When I tried to play .WMV files, it just plays the sounds of the clip, but the video doesn't show up. There is an error message shown when I play a .wmv file:

Cannot Find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x33564D57

Can anyone help me? What should I do?
Make sure you enable all your repos (just click on them in synaptic).
Next type:
sudo apt-get install w32codecs
 
Old 08-29-2006, 04:02 AM   #3
tarobs
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarobs
Hi, I'm just a relatively new user of Ubuntu. I installed Mplayer on my computer. When I tried to play .WMV files, it just plays the sounds of the clip, but the video doesn't show up. There is an error message shown when I play a .wmv file:

Cannot Find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x33564D57

Can anyone help me? What should I do?
I enabled all the repo's already, and I installed the w32codecs, but I got this as a reply:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Package w32codecs is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package w32codecs has no installation candidate

I'm totally clueless. MPlayer is still showing the same error
 
Old 08-29-2006, 04:37 AM   #4
jens
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Debian, Slackware, Fedora
Posts: 1,193

Rep: Reputation: 159Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarobs
I enabled all the repo's already, and I installed the w32codecs, but I got this as a reply:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Package w32codecs is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package w32codecs has no installation candidate

I'm totally clueless. MPlayer is still showing the same error
I just checked the Ubuntu repos and they do have a w32codecs packagage.

Since that didn't seem to work for you (are you really sure you enabled all repos?), I advice doing this the traditional(and always working) way.

Just copy and paste the following commands (this will always work for both Xine and MPlayer).

sudo mkdir /usr/local/lib/codecs/
sudo mkdir /usr/lib/win32


Next, download this codec package in your home map(just click on it): http://www4.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/rel...060611.tar.bz2
If Firefox downloaded it on your desktop, drag and drop it in your user's home map.

tar xvfj all-20060611.tar.bz2
sudo cp ./all-20060611/* /usr/local/lib/codecs/
sudo cp ./all-20060611/* /usr/lib/win32/

sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/lib/codecs/*
sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/win32/*


Now it should simply play everything...

Last edited by jens; 08-29-2006 at 05:04 AM.
 
Old 08-29-2006, 06:08 AM   #5
tarobs
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jens
I just checked the Ubuntu repos and they do have a w32codecs packagage.

Since that didn't seem to work for you (are you really sure you enabled all repos?), I advice doing this the traditional(and always working) way.

Just copy and paste the following commands (this will always work for both Xine and MPlayer).

sudo mkdir /usr/local/lib/codecs/
sudo mkdir /usr/lib/win32


Next, download this codec package in your home map(just click on it): http://www4.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/rel...060611.tar.bz2
If Firefox downloaded it on your desktop, drag and drop it in your user's home map.

tar xvfj all-20060611.tar.bz2
sudo cp ./all-20060611/* /usr/local/lib/codecs/
sudo cp ./all-20060611/* /usr/lib/win32/

sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/lib/codecs/*
sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/win32/*


Now it should simply play everything...

Thank you very much! But I have a question: where's the home map? I'm really sorry but I couldn't find it. Thank you for your patience
 
Old 08-29-2006, 01:32 PM   #6
tarobs
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
O, I got it. Thank you very much! It's working now.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
With ALSA only one application plays sounds simopal6 Linux - Hardware 11 07-22-2006 04:13 AM
SUSE 10 plays system sounds, but not CDs jenlowe0010 Linux - General 13 06-11-2006 12:30 AM
kaffine only plays sounds, video screen is blank (black) all the time zeltak Linux - Software 2 04-22-2006 08:26 PM
fedora plays some sounds... but no music... canuck316 Linux - Newbie 4 08-18-2004 12:45 AM
mplayer plays wmv video but sound is scrambled sk8guitar Linux - Software 0 09-04-2003 07:41 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration