LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
10110111
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Location: St.-Petersburg, Russia
Distribution: (B)LFS, Ubuntu, SliTaz
Posts: 402

Rep: Reputation: 51
Set up two separate screens instead of multi-monitor screen in xorg


All the tutorials i found about xorg setup say how to configure multi-monitor screen. How can i setup my dual-head video card to have separate displays :0.0 and :1.0 (or :0.1 etc.) instead? Is it possible with latest xorg versions?
 
Old 09-12-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
ongte
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Distribution: Mandriva, CentOS, Ubuntu
Posts: 456

Rep: Reputation: 69
You are talking about 2 X servers running at once & displaying to 2 separate monitors?
Might be possible, but definitely not gonna be simple.

I found a way around this by extending the desktop onto 2 displays & then running
a VNC server and a VNC client fullscreen on my 2nd monitor.
 
Old 09-13-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
10110111
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Location: St.-Petersburg, Russia
Distribution: (B)LFS, Ubuntu, SliTaz
Posts: 402

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 51
Quote:
You are talking about 2 X servers running at once & displaying to 2 separate monitors?
No, i'm talking about one X server with multiple screens - one for each monitor. I'd like to have both screens with 3D acceleration and other features.
Quote:
extending the desktop onto 2 displays & then running
a VNC server and a VNC client fullscreen on my 2nd monitor.
And this doesn't support 3D acceleration, does it?
 
Old 09-13-2009, 06:57 AM   #4
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,036

Rep: Reputation: 372Reputation: 372Reputation: 372Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by ongte View Post
You are talking about 2 X servers running at once & displaying to 2 separate monitors?
Might be possible, but definitely not gonna be simple.
It's not complicated at all. In fact, the opposite could be true because it involves Xinerama (or any of the equivalents, like ATi's BigDesktop feature or nVidia's TwinView).

Quote:
I found a way around this by extending the desktop onto 2 displays & then running
a VNC server and a VNC client fullscreen on my 2nd monitor.
You have to define two screens in your xorg.conf, other than that there's no need to do anything special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10110111 View Post
I'd like to have both screens with 3D acceleration and other features.

And this doesn't support 3D acceleration, does it?
That's up to the graphics driver. In the past, the nVidia and ATi's drivers only supported 3d on one display. I don't know what the current status is.
 
Old 09-13-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
ongte
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Distribution: Mandriva, CentOS, Ubuntu
Posts: 456

Rep: Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10110111 View Post
No, i'm talking about one X server with multiple screens - one for each monitor. I'd like to have both screens with 3D acceleration and other features.
In that case, do tell us which video card you are using. Nvidia has a GUI for this, while Intel works with RandR. No idea about ATI though.
 
Old 09-13-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
ongte
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Distribution: Mandriva, CentOS, Ubuntu
Posts: 456

Rep: Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
It's not complicated at all. In fact, the opposite could be true because it involves Xinerama (or any of the equivalents, like ATi's BigDesktop feature or nVidia's TwinView).
On the contrary, my experience with Nvidia Twinview so far has been very positive. I guess I define manually editing xorg.conf as 'not simple'.
 
Old 09-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
10110111
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Location: St.-Petersburg, Russia
Distribution: (B)LFS, Ubuntu, SliTaz
Posts: 402

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 51
Quote:
n that case, do tell us which video card you are using.
I have Mesa-driven ATI card.
Code:
$ lspci|grep ATI
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV535 [Radeon X1650 Series] (rev 9e)
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV535 [Radeon X1650 Series] (rev 9e)
I tried adding multiple "Screen" sections in xorg.conf, but it didn't create separate X screens.
 
Old 09-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,036

Rep: Reputation: 372Reputation: 372Reputation: 372Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10110111 View Post
I have Mesa-driven ATI card.
Code:
$ lspci|grep ATI
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV535 [Radeon X1650 Series] (rev 9e)
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV535 [Radeon X1650 Series] (rev 9e)
I tried adding multiple "Screen" sections in xorg.conf, but it didn't create separate X screens.
Are you using the propietary fglrx driver or the radeon one? I am not sure how would I do it with the radeon (or radeonhd) one, I think it enables xrandr by default so if you use radeon you should look into disabling xrandr for this (maybe there's a way to do it using xrandr, I don't really know, I hate it with passion).

I can provide you with a valid xorg.conf for the fglrx driver if you use that. Just let me know and I'll upload it to my server for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ongte View Post
On the contrary, my experience with Nvidia Twinview so far has been very positive. I guess I define manually editing xorg.conf as 'not simple'.
Well, I didn't mean that Twinview is problematic, just that you have to enable it and configure it (either using the graphical tool or editing xorg.conf). Once configured, it always worked for me without a single problem at all, just like for you.

Last edited by i92guboj; 09-13-2009 at 12:50 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
multi screen in two monitor m_pahlevanzadeh Linux - Hardware 8 12-08-2008 08:50 AM
Multi Head / Screen / Monitor Set-up in FC6 with dual ATI's damber Linux - Hardware 21 11-09-2007 12:11 PM
full screen not working correctly on separate xscreens (dual head set up) LauMars Linux - Software 1 09-14-2007 08:55 AM
multi screen etch and xorg.conf knobby67 Debian 2 06-23-2006 12:54 PM
xorg screen res not being set properly with Xorg 6.9.0 sgnome Linux - Laptop and Netbook 2 06-12-2006 02:26 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration