LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Desktop (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/)
-   -   Set up two separate screens instead of multi-monitor screen in xorg (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/set-up-two-separate-screens-instead-of-multi-monitor-screen-in-xorg-754715/)

10110111 09-12-2009 06:18 PM

Set up two separate screens instead of multi-monitor screen in xorg
 
All the tutorials i found about xorg setup say how to configure multi-monitor screen. How can i setup my dual-head video card to have separate displays :0.0 and :1.0 (or :0.1 etc.) instead? Is it possible with latest xorg versions?

ongte 09-13-2009 12:53 AM

You are talking about 2 X servers running at once & displaying to 2 separate monitors?
Might be possible, but definitely not gonna be simple.

I found a way around this by extending the desktop onto 2 displays & then running
a VNC server and a VNC client fullscreen on my 2nd monitor.

10110111 09-13-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

You are talking about 2 X servers running at once & displaying to 2 separate monitors?
No, i'm talking about one X server with multiple screens - one for each monitor. I'd like to have both screens with 3D acceleration and other features.
Quote:

extending the desktop onto 2 displays & then running
a VNC server and a VNC client fullscreen on my 2nd monitor.
And this doesn't support 3D acceleration, does it?

i92guboj 09-13-2009 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ongte (Post 3680660)
You are talking about 2 X servers running at once & displaying to 2 separate monitors?
Might be possible, but definitely not gonna be simple.

It's not complicated at all. In fact, the opposite could be true because it involves Xinerama (or any of the equivalents, like ATi's BigDesktop feature or nVidia's TwinView).

Quote:

I found a way around this by extending the desktop onto 2 displays & then running
a VNC server and a VNC client fullscreen on my 2nd monitor.
You have to define two screens in your xorg.conf, other than that there's no need to do anything special.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10110111 (Post 3680841)
I'd like to have both screens with 3D acceleration and other features.

And this doesn't support 3D acceleration, does it?

That's up to the graphics driver. In the past, the nVidia and ATi's drivers only supported 3d on one display. I don't know what the current status is.

ongte 09-13-2009 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10110111 (Post 3680841)
No, i'm talking about one X server with multiple screens - one for each monitor. I'd like to have both screens with 3D acceleration and other features.

In that case, do tell us which video card you are using. Nvidia has a GUI for this, while Intel works with RandR. No idea about ATI though.

ongte 09-13-2009 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i92guboj (Post 3680853)
It's not complicated at all. In fact, the opposite could be true because it involves Xinerama (or any of the equivalents, like ATi's BigDesktop feature or nVidia's TwinView).

On the contrary, my experience with Nvidia Twinview so far has been very positive. I guess I define manually editing xorg.conf as 'not simple'. :p

10110111 09-13-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

n that case, do tell us which video card you are using.
I have Mesa-driven ATI card.
Code:

$ lspci|grep ATI
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV535 [Radeon X1650 Series] (rev 9e)
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV535 [Radeon X1650 Series] (rev 9e)

I tried adding multiple "Screen" sections in xorg.conf, but it didn't create separate X screens.

i92guboj 09-13-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10110111 (Post 3680901)
I have Mesa-driven ATI card.
Code:

$ lspci|grep ATI
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV535 [Radeon X1650 Series] (rev 9e)
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV535 [Radeon X1650 Series] (rev 9e)

I tried adding multiple "Screen" sections in xorg.conf, but it didn't create separate X screens.

Are you using the propietary fglrx driver or the radeon one? I am not sure how would I do it with the radeon (or radeonhd) one, I think it enables xrandr by default so if you use radeon you should look into disabling xrandr for this (maybe there's a way to do it using xrandr, I don't really know, I hate it with passion).

I can provide you with a valid xorg.conf for the fglrx driver if you use that. Just let me know and I'll upload it to my server for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ongte (Post 3680887)
On the contrary, my experience with Nvidia Twinview so far has been very positive. I guess I define manually editing xorg.conf as 'not simple'. :p

Well, I didn't mean that Twinview is problematic, just that you have to enable it and configure it (either using the graphical tool or editing xorg.conf). Once configured, it always worked for me without a single problem at all, just like for you.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.