LinuxQuestions.org
Visit the LQ Articles and Editorials section
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
GamerX
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 102

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
scaling/zooming a wine virtual desktop


I'm trying to run StarCraft in wine 1.0 in a virtual desktop but the problem is that SC is very stubborn about sticking to a resolution of 800x600 and so the window looks rather small on a 1680x1050 screen.

Is there some facility in wine or X that can blow up the window to some bigger size? I don't want to let the game run in non-virtual desktop mode so is there any alternative?
 
Old 06-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Mega Man X
Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2003
Location: ~
Distribution: Ubuntu, FreeBSD, Solaris, DSL
Posts: 5,339

Rep: Reputation: 63
StarCraft is locked at 640x480. You can resize the Virtual Desktop, but as far as I know, the game will still run at 640x480 points. So either you change your screen resolution or you run StarCraft in fullscreen.
 
Old 06-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,036

Rep: Reputation: 372Reputation: 372Reputation: 372Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerX View Post
I'm trying to run StarCraft in wine 1.0 in a virtual desktop but the problem is that SC is very stubborn about sticking to a resolution of 800x600 and so the window looks rather small on a 1680x1050 screen.

Is there some facility in wine or X that can blow up the window to some bigger size? I don't want to let the game run in non-virtual desktop mode so is there any alternative?
Not in X nor wine (other than running fullscreen).

However, with compositing enabled this can be done (and in fact, I think that there's a zooming plugin for compiz that allows you to zoom the contents of a given window).

Another solution is to run some kind of nested server. For example, you could run tightvnc to a local server, or even xnest (not recommended), and run wine fullscreen on that nested xserver (which would still allow you to multitask on your main x server).

Yet another solution is to launch a second xserver into another vt. For example, you start your first x server, then do control+alt+f2, you login there, start another server, and launch the game fullscreen there. That way, you can have your normal x server on control+alt+f7, and an alternate one for games on coltrol+alt+f8, and change back and forth from one to another.

You decide which one you like best. The later is probably the easiest one.
 
Old 06-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
GamerX
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 102

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
Not in X nor wine (other than running fullscreen).

However, with compositing enabled this can be done (and in fact, I think that there's a zooming plugin for compiz that allows you to zoom the contents of a given window).

...

Yet another solution is to launch a second xserver into another vt. For example, you start your first x server, then do control+alt+f2, you login there, start another server, and launch the game fullscreen there. That way, you can have your normal x server on control+alt+f7, and an alternate one for games on coltrol+alt+f8, and change back and forth from one to another.

You decide which one you like best. The later is probably the easiest one.
I was originally thinking along the lines of your first suggestion --
getting the window manager to fudge the window size and stretch the contents.
The only snag is that I'm using Xfce which combined with compiz implies painful confguration!

I like your last suggestion though, I was under the impression that you can only have one X server launched a a time. And this should be interesting because I have a dual head setup so I'll play around with that. The only thing that concerns me is how to redirect the keyboard and mouse input...
 
Old 06-28-2008, 11:35 PM   #5
i92guboj
Gentoo support team
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Lucena, Córdoba (Spain)
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 4,036

Rep: Reputation: 372Reputation: 372Reputation: 372Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerX View Post
I was originally thinking along the lines of your first suggestion --
getting the window manager to fudge the window size and stretch the contents.
The only snag is that I'm using Xfce which combined with compiz implies painful confguration!
The main problem is not xfce+compiz (might be a big one, I don't know). The main problem is that lots of programs that use intensive video i/o or 3d will have problems to run in compiz. And those that will run, will suffer a big performance penalty.

Quote:
I like your last suggestion though, I was under the impression that you can only have one X server launched a a time.
You can have as many as your machine can run. In different vt's, nested, via vnc, or whatever.

Quote:
And this should be interesting because I have a dual head setup so I'll play around with that. The only thing that concerns me is how to redirect the keyboard and mouse input...
Hehe, this changes everything. If you have a dual head setup you shouldn't need anything else. If you DON'T configure X to use twinview/xinerama, one separate x server should be spawn on each screen. That means that whatever you do on screen 1 (including fullscreening a program) is not going to bother you in screen 2. The downside of non-xinerama setup (or the advantage, it depends) is that you can't move programs from one screen to another (since they are separate x servers).

Last edited by i92guboj; 06-28-2008 at 11:36 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Virtual Bridges announces major update of Virtual Desktop Server (VDS) product LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-25-2007 04:40 AM
virtual desktop paul62 *BSD 3 06-10-2005 04:39 PM
Restrict wine app to single virtual desktop ? td_miles Fedora 3 08-06-2004 05:48 PM
cpu scaling on amd xp desktop Moloko Linux - Hardware 0 07-18-2004 03:56 PM
Virtual Desktop sovietpower Slackware 2 12-19-2003 08:04 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration