LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices



Poll: What do you think about KDE4?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What do you think about KDE4?

You must log in and have one post to vote in this poll. If you don't have an account, you can register here.
Results will be available after the polls close.

The nominees are:

It's good...!
It's bad...!

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
linbux
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Location: tehran-iran
Distribution: opensuse,fedora,mandriva
Posts: 34
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 15
Lightbulb KDE 4 ?! a step to backward?! maybe


hi
i think KDE 4 is a one important step to backward!
interface,tools and even performance...

what do you think?
 
Old 07-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
nx5000
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Out
Posts: 3,307

Rep: Reputation: 53
I trust the KDE team that they will continue to make the best DE.

If you don't like it, use something else. You have plenty of choice, not like on window$..


On my machine, kde4 is undoubtedly faster....
 
Old 07-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
linbux
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Location: tehran-iran
Distribution: opensuse,fedora,mandriva
Posts: 34
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thumbs up gnome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx5000 View Post
I trust the KDE team that they will continue to make the best DE.

If you don't like it, use something else. You have plenty of choice, not like on window$..


On my machine, kde4 is undoubtedly faster....
I'm using gnome.it's really easy and simple.
 
Old 07-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
H_TeXMeX_H
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: $RANDOM
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 12,928
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
I voted it sucks. But then I never liked kde.
 
Old 07-02-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
salasi
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Directly above centre of the earth, UK
Distribution: SuSE, plus some hopping
Posts: 3,919

Rep: Reputation: 779Reputation: 779Reputation: 779Reputation: 779Reputation: 779Reputation: 779Reputation: 779
I'm not going to vote, because you haven't given me the option that I want.
  • It is not ready yet
  • It might be great (eventually), but it is too soon to tell
...and i'm getting frustrated waiting
 
Old 07-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
pusrob
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 468

Rep: Reputation: 35
I didn't vote, because voting in these early times of KDE 4 is not good. KDE 3 wasn't as mature as now when it came out. KDE 3 had problems too, many features we love and have now, wasn't necessarily in KDE 3.0. We waited, we were patient and now we have what we call KDE 3 (KDE 3.5.9 and not 3.1, don't forget it!). Comparing a mature software to a software in the beginning phase is just not very wise. I think every KDE user will be satisfied with version 4.3 or 4.4. The only thing we need to do is to wait. It's rare when something is perfect for the first time. Let's just wait folks. Let's restart this vote when we will have at least KDE 4.3. Results will be more representative then.
Until that, imagine what you wanna have in KDE 4.3, and when you know it, just give some feedbacks to the KDE team, so they will put those features into KDE until KDE 4.3 appears.

Last edited by pusrob; 07-02-2008 at 05:11 PM.
 
Old 07-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
AceofSpades19
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: Chilliwack,BC.Canada
Distribution: Slackware64 -current
Posts: 2,079

Rep: Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by pusrob View Post
I didn't vote, because voting in these early times of KDE 4 is not good. KDE 3 wasn't as mature as now when it came out. KDE 3 had problems too, many features we love and have now, wasn't necessarily in KDE 3.0. We waited, we were patient and now we have what we call KDE 3 (KDE 3.5.9 and not 3.1, don't forget it!). Comparing a mature software to a software in the beginning phase is just not very wise. I think every KDE user will be satisfied with version 4.3 or 4.4. The only thing we need to do is to wait. It's rare when something is perfect for the first time. Let's just wait folks. Let's restart this vote when we will have at least KDE 4.3. Results will be more representative then.
Until that, imagine what you wanna have in KDE 4.3, and when you know it, just give some feedbacks to the KDE team, so they will put those features into KDE until KDE 4.3 appears.
I agree with you, people who say kde 4 is a step-backwards, don't understand this and they go on to say stupid stuff like "Let's fork kde!"
 
Old 07-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
XavierP
Moderator
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Kent, England
Distribution: Lubuntu
Posts: 19,176
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430
I remember what KDE 2 looked like. The main complaint was that it looked ugly and we'd never catch windows if that was the best we can do. From a user perspective, I think 3.5.9 is great. It does exactly what I want and I know where things are. At some point I will have to learn KDE 4, but I'm happy to wait until it's stable and more usable.

Don't forget, if you dislike KDE 4, even when your distro forces it on you, you can always just not install it - blacklist it, apt-pin it or whatever.
 
Old 07-02-2008, 06:53 PM   #9
iwasapenguin
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 110

Rep: Reputation: 15
Actually KDE4 is several steps behind kde3.5.x


So that it can get a good running start!

My own experiences with kde4 haven't been entirely satisfactory but I just keep
on reminding myself the fact that it isn't labeled beta doesn't add up to much at this
point because of its age.

All results from this poll are null and void because the question is flawed and to many
gnome fans are voting. You guys can say the same if KDE/XFCE/whatever fans vote in
your poll.
 
Old 07-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #10
ErV
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: Russia
Distribution: Slackware 12.2
Posts: 1,202
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by linbux View Post
hi
what do you think?
I'm using KDE 3.5.9 and so far have no reasons to use something else.
 
Old 07-02-2008, 08:11 PM   #11
crashmeister
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Distribution: t2 - trying to anyway
Posts: 2,541

Rep: Reputation: 47
It's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Just the fact that the kde team took a leap and went for something completely different and new is a great thing.
All those people whining and bitching and forking are going to go exactly nowhere and probably write rave reports about it when it is finished.

All the time everybody is complaining that nobody does something new,exciting and innovative but if somebody does they get the whole internet whining at them.

Just stick to OS/2 or something - nothing new and upsettling will happen there.
 
Old 07-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
piratePenguin
Member
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 42

Rep: Reputation: 15
I use GNOME, but KDE 4 is my future I think.

Plasma = sex.

All my favorite apps have mostly been KDE. Amarok, Kate, etc etc.. Brilliant apps, lovely plasma = win.

Building a new comp in the coming months and going with KUbuntu I think.
 
Old 07-03-2008, 01:54 AM   #13
linbux
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Location: tehran-iran
Distribution: opensuse,fedora,mandriva
Posts: 34
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thumbs up KDE 4 and ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusrob View Post
I didn't vote, because voting in these early times of KDE 4 is not good. KDE 3 wasn't as mature as now when it came out. KDE 3 had problems too, many features we love and have now, wasn't necessarily in KDE 3.0. We waited, we were patient and now we have what we call KDE 3 (KDE 3.5.9 and not 3.1, don't forget it!). Comparing a mature software to a software in the beginning phase is just not very wise. I think every KDE user will be satisfied with version 4.3 or 4.4. The only thing we need to do is to wait. It's rare when something is perfect for the first time. Let's just wait folks. Let's restart this vote when we will have at least KDE 4.3. Results will be more representative then.
Until that, imagine what you wanna have in KDE 4.3, and when you know it, just give some feedbacks to the KDE team, so they will put those features into KDE until KDE 4.3 appears.
dear
when we need a car we don't need to invent it again from wheel to a complete car. and the next year we need a new version of it invent it again again!

if it's true, KDE must start from KDE 1 to KDE 1.9 and come back to KDE 1 and start over! why it's KDE4? because it passed KDE1 and 2 and 3!

no this not a good idea to create a product and when we want a new
version of it create it again from base.

in the other hand why a company release a product that is not complete?
for example do you buy a car with 3 wheel or some problem in its engine? even the seller promise car will complete in the feature?
we -computer users- must select our software!
I belive KDE 4 is a step backward!
 
Old 07-03-2008, 02:01 AM   #14
linbux
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Location: tehran-iran
Distribution: opensuse,fedora,mandriva
Posts: 34
Blog Entries: 1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
do you buy your car part by part?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceofSpades19 View Post
I agree with you, people who say kde 4 is a step-backwards, don't understand this and they go on to say stupid stuff like "Let's fork kde!"
please read my last reply for this thread.
tanx
 
Old 07-03-2008, 02:49 AM   #15
AceofSpades19
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: Chilliwack,BC.Canada
Distribution: Slackware64 -current
Posts: 2,079

Rep: Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by linbux View Post
dear
when we need a car we don't need to invent it again from wheel to a complete car. and the next year we need a new version of it invent it again again!

if it's true, KDE must start from KDE 1 to KDE 1.9 and come back to KDE 1 and start over! why it's KDE4? because it passed KDE1 and 2 and 3!
no this not a good idea to create a product and when we want a new
version of it create it again from base.
In a life-cycle of an OSS project, you have to have some rewrites, because otherwise, you can't move forward. Without any rewrites, the project will just stagnate, similar to MS's situation with windows.
Quote:
in the other hand why a company release a product that is not complete?
for example do you buy a car with 3 wheel or some problem in its engine? even the seller promise car will complete in the feature?
we -computer users- must select our software!
I belive KDE 4 is a step backward!
I wasn't aware the KDE project was a company. OSS gives projects greater flexibility to do something different because they don't care if they don't appease stock holders. A prime example which is happening with kde is OSX, at first it was really crappy, but it got better with each release. The kde dev te am even said, a number of times, that kde 4.0 was not complete, I'm sure kde 4.1 will be just as good as kde 3.5. I don't think anyone can really say anything about kde 4 until they see the final product. If you don't like kde 4 in its present state, don't use it, kde 3.5 is still supported. Its like using a prototype race car
 
  


Reply

Tags
been, current, features, fedora, has, kde35, package, release, still, update, will


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Install Netgear wg311v wireless card on Fedora Core 6 (step by step help thanks!) jpop Linux - Hardware 1 03-07-2007 01:16 PM
Step by Step guied for Installation pent@net Dvb card under linux mobassir Linux - Networking 4 06-07-2006 08:31 PM
KDE 3.3.2 > KDE 3.5.1 : Step-by-step help please __spc__ Slackware 23 05-22-2006 11:30 AM
Step-by-Step: Making integrated Broadcome wireless adapter work with Mandrake 9.2 jmp875 Linux - Wireless Networking 16 06-30-2004 01:50 AM
KDE 3.0 On Redhat 7.2 step by step hornbm Linux - General 6 05-01-2002 03:45 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration