LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Desktop (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/)
-   -   How to install real player and Macromedia Flash (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/how-to-install-real-player-and-macromedia-flash-480585/)

rajeshsfo 09-05-2006 08:34 AM

How to install real player and Macromedia Flash
 
After downloading real player and Macromedia flash; how to install them ? In which file system to install them ?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

kstan 09-05-2006 08:40 AM

what distro you use? you download rpm, .bin, .sh or deb?
normally you can install it via, yum, apt-get, yast or etc, not necessary you need to download it separately.
By the way,please update your personal information what distribution you use, so next time others people not need to ask you again.

reddazz 09-05-2006 08:40 AM

It helps if you mention which distro you are using and the exact packages you downloaded.

rajeshsfo 09-06-2006 07:26 AM

I am using RedHat AS 4.

kstan 09-06-2006 09:57 AM

[realplayer]
after download the realplayer.rpm,type
rpm -Uivh realplayerfile.rpm
[optional]
copy all codecs under realplayer home folder intooo/usr/lib/win32, so next time you can use xine, mplayer to play .rm file. The performance is much more better

[flash plugin]
download the linux flash-plugin package from adobe, extract into mozilla 'plugin' folder. You can find your mozilla firefox folder under ~/.mozilla or ~/.mozilla-firefox

However, I strong not recommend you use redhat as4, unless you have much money to suscripe. You either use centos or whitebox, they both re-use redhat source code and have same performance.
And, they are free support.

hand of fate 09-06-2006 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstan
[realplayer]
after download the realplayer.rpm,type
rpm -Uivh realplayerfile.rpm

If the desktop is set up properly (as it is automatically when RH is installed) you should be able to install the RPM just by clicking on it and following the on-screen instructions, without having to manually type any commands.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstan
[optional]
copy all codecs under realplayer home folder intooo/usr/lib/win32, so next time you can use xine, mplayer to play .rm file. The performance is much more better

I think Xine has an option somewhere to set the location of the RealPlayer codecs, so it would be easier to just set that option to where the codecs already are. I'm not sure about MPlayer, but I think that has the same option.

In my experience, Xine doesn't actually recognise the codecs used by RealPlayer anyway.

If you've got RealPlayer, there's not really any point messing around to try to get other players to play .rm files anyway, when RealPlayer can play them perfectly well out of the box.

kstan 09-06-2006 11:43 AM

In my experience, Xine doesn't actually recognise the codecs used by RealPlayer anyway.
probably you are right, i use mplayer normally

If you've got RealPlayer, there's not really any point messing around to try to get other players to play .rm files anyway, when RealPlayer can play them perfectly well out of the box.
i am not agree this statement cause every distro i tried the native realplayer(from helix) is bad performance, the way I solve it is using others player with realplayer plugin (such as mplayer).

anyway, mplayer not support .ram file, I still go back to realplayer for listen online music streaming.

reddazz 09-06-2006 12:21 PM

Quote:

rpm -Uivh realplayerfile.rpm
YOu shouldn't really use "-i" and "-U" in the same line. In most situations its better to user rpm -Uvh becuase -U works the same as -i but will upgrade or install a package even if an older version exists whilst -i is only for installing packages that are not already installed on the system.

kstan 09-06-2006 07:49 PM

i c, okok. i get your point.

hand of fate 09-07-2006 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddazz
YOu shouldn't really use "-i" and "-U" in the same line. In most situations its better to user rpm -Uvh becuase -U works the same as -i but will upgrade or install a package even if an older version exists whilst -i is only for installing packages that are not already installed on the system.

That's all academic given that the package manager should be able to install RPMs if you just click on them, so you shouldn't have to type any commands anyway.

I don't know of any distro that has RPM but doesn't have a graphical front end for it.

Bamitola 09-07-2006 06:34 AM

With your straight download you can install after extracting,then you follow the instruction on your screen straight away.

reddazz 09-07-2006 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hand of fate
That's all academic given that the package manager should be able to install RPMs if you just click on them, so you shouldn't have to type any commands anyway.

I don't know of any distro that has RPM but doesn't have a graphical front end for it.

From my personal experience using Fedora Core and Suse, just clicking on an rpm is not guaranteed to work especially where a package has many dependencies. Anyway my previous post was about how to correctly use the options available in RPM when used on the command line and not about installing rpm packages in general.

hand of fate 09-08-2006 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddazz
From my personal experience using Fedora Core and Suse, just clicking on an rpm is not guaranteed to work especially where a package has many dependencies.

I'm not sure I'm with you there.

Clicking on the file invokes a package management system which can address any dependencies that can be resolved by installing other packages from the distro repositories automatically, wheras running RPM from the command line doesn't address any dependencies at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddazz
Anyway my previous post was about how to correctly use the options available in RPM when used on the command line and not about installing rpm packages in general.

Which is all academic given that there's no need to use RPM from the command line anyway.

reddazz 09-08-2006 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hand of fate
I'm not sure I'm with you there.

Clicking on the file invokes a package management system which can address any dependencies that can be resolved by installing other packages from the distro repositories automatically, wheras running RPM from the command line doesn't address any dependencies at all.



Which is all academic given that there's no need to use RPM from the command line anyway.

Like I said above clicking on an rpm doesn't always work. Take a look in the Suse forum and you will see that there are many people who click on rpms and then can't figure out why YAST did not install the package. Fedora Core had similar problems when using system-config-packages (it was broken for years and would not work properly if you upgraded to newer packages using yum), but this problem was rectified in FC5 because it checks for dependencies from online repositories now. Installing rpms manually on the command line is not academic at all. It can save you when the graphical utilities don't work right or you are not running a gui.

hand of fate 09-11-2006 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddazz
Installing rpms manually on the command line is not academic at all. It can save you when the graphical utilities don't work right or you are not running a gui.

The original poster has stated what distribution they're using, and we know that that distribution includes a graphical package manager that works.

Installing from the command line is irrelevant to this thread, since we know that the original poster has all the necessary utilities to install software without having to do this.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.