LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Desktop (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/)
-   -   How do I recover a rm deleted folder? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/how-do-i-recover-a-rm-deleted-folder-484446/)

CrownAmbassador 09-17-2006 06:11 PM

How do I recover a rm deleted folder?
 
I accidently deleted my /usr/share/icons folder. As far as I know a rm deleted folder is recoverable. How do I do this?

Brian1 09-17-2006 06:34 PM

It depends on filesystem that the partition is using. If ext2 then it can be possible. If using ext3 then it becomes worst. The longer the partition is mounted the more likely it becomes unrecoverable. Lots of software here. http://www.surfpack.com/software/lin...itionrecovery/

Brian1

CrownAmbassador 09-17-2006 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian1
It depends on filesystem that the partition is using. If ext2 then it can be possible. If using ext3 then it becomes worst. The longer the partition is mounted the more likely it becomes unrecoverable. Lots of software here. http://www.surfpack.com/software/lin...itionrecovery/

Brian1

Is it possible to just make the folder manually and download icon packages into it?

Brian1 09-18-2006 04:17 PM

Yes that should work fine. Just need to be root to do most of the work so permissions get set that way when coping.

Brian1

CrownAmbassador 09-18-2006 06:19 PM

Ok. How do I copy a file to the folder. I guess it must be a command. I tried cp but it doesn't copy it.

Thanks.

CrownAmbassador 09-18-2006 07:02 PM

It's ok. I figured it out. Thanks for the help. It is working.

1fastbullet 01-11-2009 08:13 PM

Thanks for sharing
 
I'm glad you were able to figure it out. By now, mayybe you've succeeded in recovering your deleted files.

Most of all. I wanted to especially thank you for sharing the information so the next poor bastard that has the same problem will have a possible solution. Very considerate, indeed.

jiobo 01-11-2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1fastbullet (Post 3405090)
Most of all. I wanted to especially thank you for sharing the information so the next poor bastard that has the same problem will have a possible solution. Very considerate, indeed.

I could be mis-reading the post, but I think that the lost files were not recovered, simply replaced with new files that were downloaded.

jailbait 01-11-2009 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrownAmbassador (Post 2426936)
I accidently deleted my /usr/share/icons folder. As far as I know a rm deleted folder is recoverable. How do I do this?

Restore the files from backup.

--------------------
Steve Stites

farslayer 01-12-2009 12:05 PM

2 year old post revived, to say thanks for a solution to an issue, the person thanking the OP for didn't have,.. yikes..

no it doesn't make much sense..

i92guboj 01-12-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrownAmbassador (Post 2426936)
I accidently deleted my /usr/share/icons folder. As far as I know a rm deleted folder is recoverable. How do I do this?

No. By definition, it isn't. When you use rm the files are unlinked from your filesystem, and the blocks are freed. Hence, they become available to any application that needs to use them. On a multitask system like linux where there might 40 daemons running at a given time that means that the contents might be partially overwritten since long ago. Maybe not, but there's no guarantee.

That's why there's a root account. You need to be root to delete system files and you are supposed to double check everything that you do as root before hitting Enter.

In this cases there might be ways to recover some things using specific tools, but the longer the drive remains mounted with write permissions, the less chance you get to recover anything. So, the first thing to do is to umount the involved volume.

However, since these are system files just reinstall the involved packages. That's the easier and less risky thing to do.

DragonSlayer48DX 01-12-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farslayer (Post 3405958)
2 year old post revived, to say thanks for a solution to an issue, the person thanking the OP for didn't have,.. yikes..

no it doesn't make much sense..

LOL

Guess this is one of those "it should have been closed by now" threads... :D

Cheers

iijt 02-16-2009 01:04 AM

where is ansers of question

i92guboj 02-16-2009 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iijt (Post 3445061)
where is ansers of question

I can't be bothered to re-read the whole thread, but at least my post above has the answer. Probably some other posts do also have useful info. So, read yourself.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.