LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Desktop (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/)
-   -   How can I install Windows over my current Fedora installation? (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/how-can-i-install-windows-over-my-current-fedora-installation-897183/)

shaunsingh14 08-13-2011 10:03 PM

How can I install Windows over my current Fedora installation?
 
Hello everyone.

Before you ask, I'm NOT going back to Windows, but I am selling a computer that's running Fedora 15. But before I put it up for auction on eBay, I want to re-install Windows XP. I have an ISO of my installation disk saved on my flash drive, and I just want to know if I can overwrite it, if such a thing is possible.

The only thing I DON'T have is a blank CD/DVD. I do have an 8GB SanDisk Cruzer flash drive. I've also removed the U3 Launchpad tool, if that's of any help.

andrewthomas 08-13-2011 10:52 PM

You should be able to copy the XO iso to your fedora partition, then use dd to write the iso to the USB stick, then boot from the USB and install XP.

You could try this method:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...rch_USB_images

substituting the name of your windows iso for archlinux.iso

TobiSGD 08-14-2011 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewthomas (Post 4442284)
You should be able to copy the XO iso to your fedora partition, then use dd to write the iso to the USB stick, then boot from the USB and install XP.

You could try this method:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...rch_USB_images

substituting the name of your windows iso for archlinux.iso

The XP-iso is not a hybrid-iso, so no, this will not work.

XP wasn't made to be used from USB, but there are some tutorials on the net how to do it. All I found require a running Windows computer, but a VM running Windows should be sufficient.

qlue 08-14-2011 03:59 PM

You could try unetbootin. (there are other applications that could do this as well.

Just a suggestion, before you re-install Windows, boot from a live-CD and run:
Code:

shred -n 3 -z /dev/sda
from the command line. This will ensure that nothing is left on the disk that could be used by a would-be hacker. (it wipes the disk clean so have any and all back-ups and installation disks handy first!!)

shaunsingh14 08-14-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4442378)
The XP-iso is not a hybrid-iso, so no, this will not work.

XP wasn't made to be used from USB, but there are some tutorials on the net how to do it. All I found require a running Windows computer, but a VM running Windows should be sufficient.


I do have WinXP on Virtualbox for some Windows applications I need that WINE doesn't run properly.

The only problem is that I can't figure out how to get it to recognize my USB drive.
I've enabled the USB Controller, but when I click on the green plus icon, it says no drives detected.

TobiSGD 08-14-2011 04:54 PM

Assuming that you use Virtualbox 4.x, do you have the Extension Pack installed? Without it the pass through of USB devices will not work.

shaunsingh14 08-14-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4442952)
Assuming that you use Virtualbox 4.x, do you have the Extension Pack installed? Without it the pass through of USB devices will not work.

Yes, I have the extension as well.

John VV 08-14-2011 07:46 PM

yo do know that partimage IS in the fedora 15 install dvd
boot into "rescue" mode and reformat the drive - leave it blank
pop in the xp install cd and install

shaunsingh14 08-15-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John VV (Post 4443048)
yo do know that partimage IS in the fedora 15 install dvd
boot into "rescue" mode and reformat the drive - leave it blank
pop in the xp install cd and install

Two problems:

-I didn't do the basic install, I installed Fedora from my cousin's Live USB.

-I ripped an ISO of my install disk, backed it up on my 8GB flash drive, and sold the disk itself back in 2007 for $500. I also lack a blank CD/DVD to burn the ISO onto.

TobiSGD 08-16-2011 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaunsingh14 (Post 4444125)
-I ripped an ISO of my install disk, backed it up on my 8GB flash drive, and sold the disk itself back in 2007 for $500. I also lack a blank CD/DVD to burn the ISO onto.

Then you shouldn't install XP. You have sold your CD, so you have sold your license. Using it now is illegal, and selling a computer with it is commercial piracy and can bring you a nice punishment.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 AM.