LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Desktop (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/)
-   -   gnome-terminal missing (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/gnome-terminal-missing-4175462833/)

dazdaz 05-21-2013 03:32 AM

gnome-terminal missing
 
I have installed some RPM's for GNOME on RHEL 6.4 however for various reasons, I forgot to "yum groupinstall desktop" and now this system does'nt have internet access.

The issue is that I cannot see the Terminal from under Applications/System Tools.

How can I manually add this back into the GNOME system menu ? Which file do I need to edit.

Also Alt-F2 does not work, so I cannot run gnome-terminal manually. All I can do is to remotely login, export the DISPLAY to the console, and run xterm or gnome-terminal.

Thanks

shivaa 05-23-2013 10:54 PM

You can open the gnome terminal using command line, as:
Code:

~$ gnome-terminal &
If it doesn't work, then set the DISPLAY variable first, then try again.

EDDY1 05-24-2013 02:21 AM

If you can't get terminal Try Ctrl+Alt+F1, or boot into rescue mode to start network & install packages.
http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/...op_Menu_System

Habitual 05-26-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EDDY1 (Post 4957831)
If you can't get terminal Try Ctrl+Alt+F1, or boot into rescue mode to start network & install packages.
http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/...op_Menu_System

Come on, Oakland, Ctrl+Alt+F1 is NOT a terminal, it is a console.

EDDY1 05-26-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habitual (Post 4959359)
Come on, Oakland, Ctrl+Alt+F1 is NOT a terminal, it is a console.

Yes you are correct but in order for OP to install or edit he/she must be able to run commands. Also alacarte is not installed by default in RHEL so OP must install from the console.
Btw: I never said it was a terminal.

bloodstreetboy 05-27-2013 12:57 AM

Alt+f2
Now run
Quote:

$ xterm
what is the output?

Habitual 05-27-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EDDY1 (Post 4959366)
Yes you are correct but in order for OP to install or edit he/she must be able to run commands. Also alacarte is not installed by default in RHEL so OP must install from the console.
Btw: I never said it was a terminal.

Well, you are correct. No harm, no foul?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.