LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
badhaggis
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question Gnome GDM Greeter being dropped?


The Gnome Desktop Manager (GDM) controls login and access to the Gnome Desktop. The GDM Greeter is the portion of the GDM which shows the custom login screens.

I heard that the GDM was being almost completely rewriten and that support for the GDM Greeter was being dropped. Currently there are over 1000+ themes at Gnome-Look.org and another 100+ themes at the Gnome site (art.gnome.org) countless others spread accross other internet sites. I would think that this would be an important part of the GDM package and support for it would not be lightly dropped.

Questions:
1. I was wondering if anyone here has any information about the Gnome GDM project dropping support for the GDM Greeter?

2. If you use Gnome or KDE how often do you use the default login screen versus a custom greeter theme?

3. I believe that most major distibutions have their own custom greeter theme how would this affect them and do they have direct input to the Gnome development process?

4. If this is true who would you voice your concerns too?

5. Is it just me or are other users concerned about this?

B.H.
 
Old 01-11-2008, 01:29 AM   #2
namida12
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Distribution: 64-bit Mepis
Posts: 129

Rep: Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhaggis View Post
The Gnome Desktop Manager (GDM) controls login and access to the Gnome Desktop. The GDM Greeter is the portion of the GDM which shows the custom login screens.

I heard that the GDM was being almost completely rewriten and that support for the GDM Greeter was being dropped. Currently there are over 1000+ themes at Gnome-Look.org and another 100+ themes at the Gnome site (art.gnome.org) countless others spread accross other internet sites. I would think that this would be an important part of the GDM package and support for it would not be lightly dropped.

Questions:
1. I was wondering if anyone here has any information about the Gnome GDM project dropping support for the GDM Greeter?

2. If you use Gnome or KDE how often do you use the default login screen versus a custom greeter theme?

3. I believe that most major distibutions have their own custom greeter theme how would this affect them and do they have direct input to the Gnome development process?

4. If this is true who would you voice your concerns too?

5. Is it just me or are other users concerned about this?

B.H.
I use the default log in screen but change wallpaper everyday...

I also subscribe to a number of wallpaper newsgroups to gather more daily...

I seldom boot the systems, so do not need to change the login screen as it is new to me when I do restart the system...

"I am Using a KDE Distro"

JR
 
Old 01-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
badhaggis
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by namida12 View Post
I use the default log in screen but change wallpaper everyday...

I also subscribe to a number of wallpaper newsgroups to gather more daily...

I seldom boot the systems, so do not need to change the login screen as it is new to me when I do restart the system...

"I am Using a KDE Distro"

JR
I believe that the KDE Greeter and the GDM Greeter are being merged and will share code. (not sure on this, anyone??) This would mean that the KDE greeter may suffer also. Again, all I have heard are rumors and I am just trying to confirm or discredit them.

B.H.
 
Old 01-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
badhaggis
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Just an update on this issue. Ubuntu has stated that they will not be distributing the GDM from Gnome 2.22 with their new release because of configuration issues, lack of a themed login, GDM Configuration tool and lack of testing. It appears that the GDM team is breaking more than just the graphical greeter in the new release. This rather makes me wonder how long it will take them to release a version of the new GDM which is as capable as the older version.
 
Old 01-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
badhaggis
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Just wanted to update.
Not sure that this is a concern to anyone, but Gentoo and Mandriva have now stepped up and stated that they were sticking to the 2.20 GDM would not ship 2.22 version.
 
Old 01-26-2008, 06:40 AM   #6
mpc
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: 0
Using Gnome...wallpaper is not an issue as I use a black background on my desktops....WP just adds to
desktop confusion. The login is another issue though....use one of the defaults...but could be subject to
change it. Hope they dont mess things up to badly.
 
Old 02-01-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
namida12
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Distribution: 64-bit Mepis
Posts: 129

Rep: Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpc View Post
Using Gnome...wallpaper is not an issue as I use a black background on my desktops....WP just adds to
desktop confusion. The login is another issue though....use one of the defaults...but could be subject to
change it. Hope they dont mess things up to badly.
I use Mepis a KDE Linux, and like the kicker/task bar I can move about... I tried Mint, but could not find a method to install this feature. I understand they have a KDE version, but I have not tried it, nor do I find any dektop images on their website showing the kicker/task bar...

My preference is a clean desktop not cluttered with icons, and the kicker makes that possible...

JR
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
no greeter in SuSE 10.1 gnome LeRoy Dorman Suse/Novell 6 11-12-2006 09:35 PM
Should gnome be dropped sh1ft Slackware 5 10-11-2004 03:35 PM
GDM Greeter - changing error messages Rom@n Linux - Software 0 03-02-2004 10:52 PM
How to trace Metacity/GDM greeter error? kstarks Linux - Software 2 12-12-2003 10:51 AM
Silly GDM greeter question (Themes) Thetargos Linux - Software 0 06-21-2003 12:33 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration