I am building a machine to evaluate several software elements. Rightfully or wrongfully I chose fedora 15 in VirtualBox. Since then I started having several issues.
1. As it is in a virtual machine, I could not allocate much memory and therefore switched the gnome to the fallback mode. Besides, I do not need the flashy interface.
2. I enabled the desktop, to have some launchers as the gnome lacks the quick launch bar.
Worked fine initially. Part of the test I exported the machine to a different network or even in the same network but ran the Virt Box configured as NAT. Alas, so many things failed:
1. It takes a long time to boot. If I have the machine configured to log on with LDAP credentials, it never gets to the log on screen
2. The desktop never works (remember I have tweaked gnome for the file manager to handle the desktop).
3. If I log off, I could not log back in; it hangs after getting the user name and password
4. If I reboot the machine, it just hangs; I have to power the machine down and start it again.
Don't know what is with Virtual box and what with Fedora15. Again running the machine on the same network where the machine was created is fine.
I am lost. Can anyone please offer me some help?